Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2006 8:37:42 AM EDT

i need a scope for my SPR rifle (pictured above) with the following specifications...

-costs $300 - $500 (including costs of rings/mount)
-medium range applications
-excellent clarity
-ranging reticle of some sort
-some sort of reticle illumination would be nice. tritium or battery
-medium or compact in size

have any suggestions?

i would love an acog but damn are they expensive. so i need an alternative
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:26:29 AM EDT
[#1]
IOR

Thats a lot to ask for $300-500, IMO. -Justin
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
IOR

Thats a lot to ask for $300-500, IMO. -Justin

Agreed, especially if you want any optic of quality (i.e. not crap) and a mount as well.

BTW, as far as I know, you're not going to find anyone else offering optics with Tritium and/or fiber optic reticule illumination besides Trijicon. BTW, ACOGs cost a lot because they are that good, especially the quality of their glass.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
is this one crap too?  
www.riflescopes.com/products/SS10X42/super_sniper_10x42_30mm_rifle_scope.htm

I can't speak of the quality of that optic from personal experience but this folks seems to think it's a good deal for the money:

Super Sniper Scopes Quality?

However, based upon the criterea listed in initial post, it does not fit your needs exactly.
- Reticule is not lit.
- At 13.88" long and 21 oz. in weight, it would not be considering compact or medium in size.

Also please understand that my "crap" reference to optics was based upon the list of features you wanted and your budget. If you can live without some of those features, then the quality of optic and mount, based upon your budget, will greatly improve.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I have used a Super Sniper and find it adequate.  It does not however have illumination.  You may be better served tring to find a used ACOG TA31.

Regards,
Gary

editted to add:  You may want to consider selling your BUIS and putting the money toward the ACOG.  Once you go ACOG, iron sightes are a bore!  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:22:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
www.barnesengineering.com/Gn9Pics91/SPR01.jpg
i need a scope for my SPR rifle (pictured above) with the following specifications...

-costs $300 - $500 (including costs of rings/mount)
-medium range applications
-excellent clarity
-ranging reticle of some sort
-some sort of reticle illumination would be nice. tritium or battery
-medium or compact in size

have any suggestions?

i would love an acog but damn are they expensive. so i need an alternative

The IOR 3x25 with the CQB reticle is a great choice.  The 4X24 is also good and if you want a 6X, check out the IOR Super M2.  Go to USAOPTICS.NET.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:57:57 AM EDT
[#7]
My Grandfather once told me (he was an Old Bench shooter) You should spend at least as much on the optic as you did on the rifle itself to acheive its full potential, If not your cheating the rifle and it wont be nice to you.
My advise ; bite the bullet, practice with your irons and save up for a Good variable power Illuminated or an ACOG. n the long run thats he only way you wll be truely happy with your rifle, Nice BTW
chuck
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:47:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the IOR M2 would do just fine out to 500 yards.  I'd prefer the NATO reticle over the CQB, but that's just me.  I like the more precise crosshair that won't block out the target with a big fat horse shoe.

I spent my big bucks on an ACOG.  I will admit that the glass seemed to be clearer than my normal vision, brighter than without the scope, and the BDC reticle was excellent.  BUT the ridiculously short eye relief and tiny little eye piece bell didn't work with me at all.  I sold it and bought a TR21r.  I'm much happier now with my scope, and plan to buy something completely different to do "accurate shooting" down the road.  (Super M2 maybe, Leupy MK4 if I can afford it).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:44:31 AM EDT
[#9]
ok you talked me into it. where is the cheapest place i can get a trijicon ACOG TA01NSN?

www.eaglefirearms.net   =  $769
adcofirearms.com = $850.00
www.bravocompanyusa.com =  $869

does anyone else have a better price?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:03:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Are you sure you want the NSN model Wouldnt be my first choice. -Justin
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:28:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I agree, I would go with the TA31F with the chevron reticle, and it already has the flat top mount when you buy it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree, I would go with the TA31F with the chevron reticle, and it already has the flat top mount when you buy it.

according to eagle arms website the TA01NSN comes standard with the flat top mount.
www.eaglefirearms.net/Trijicon.htm

doesnt the chevron obstruct more of the target than a conventional reticle?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I heard from a reliable source the Super Sniper can be dropped twice, sat on, then banged into a wooden table four times without damage.  This makes it clearly superior to XOTIC scopes.

You shoud see one advertised in the EE as mint shortly....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

according to eagle arms website the TA01NSN comes standard with the flat top mount.
www.eaglefirearms.net/Trijicon.htm

doesnt the chevron obstruct more of the target than a conventional reticle?

The TA31F comes standard with the flat top mount.
As for obstructing the target, not really, I think the worst would be at 200 yards (upper inside of the chevron).  You can be the judge:

ETA - the reticle looks bigger than in this photo
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:18:06 PM EDT
[#15]
If target work is your only plan for the optic, then the TAO1NSN is not a bad choice.  It however can never be used as a run and gun scope. This is why many feel the TA31 series is a better choice.  The Chevron is a great reticle.  I have the TA11F and love it!

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:39:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If target work is your only plan for the optic, then the TAO1NSN is not a bad choice.  It however can never be used as a run and gun scope. This is why many feel the TA31 series is a better choice.  The Chevron is a great reticle.  I have the TA11F and love it!

Regards,
Gary

+1

For a target gun, I think a TA01 with flat-top adapter would be a great choice.  All crosshairs, so no obstruction of target, even at 200 yds (upper inside of the chevron).

I personally don't do well with ACOGs because of the short eye relief/short neck thing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:57:57 PM EDT
[#17]
You should try the TA11.  Better eye relief.

Gary
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:37:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You should try the TA11.  Better eye relief.

Gary

I do like the look of those a lot...  That extra inch of eye relief should be plenty.

Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top