Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2006 1:10:58 PM EDT
OK, this is not an AR specific question, but I figure you optics experts could help me out.

I'm buying a Kimber Hunter .22LR today. My buddy is getting me into small bore silhouette shooting.

I was talking to a guy at Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday about optics for it. My buddy has a 3x9 hunting scope on his. The salesman told me I should use a rimfire specific scope due to the a rimfire having more foreward movement in recoil that a hunting caliber rifle like a .308 or 30-06. Is this true? Should I get a a rimfire specific scope?
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:06:22 PM EDT
[#1]
You do not necessarily need a rimfire scope.  For a rimfire, it is advisable to choose one with an adjustable objective, so you can dial out the parallax.  Example....my Anschutz wears a Leupold 6-18 VariX-11 with target turrets.   There are also Leupold EFR scopes which means "extended focus range."

Should you choose to purchase a set of silhouettes....see www.raystargets.netfirms.com  I have a set from Ray.....cool NRA regulation size rimfire targets.  Good luck.  

I'd steer far away from that salesman.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Rimfire scopes are generally adjusted for parallax free at 50 yds., sometimes 60 or 75. This is also something that makers like Leupold can 'adjust' for you. They also generally have short eye relief.
I say generally as rimfire/air gun scopes are a common 'model'. Airgun models need recoil capacity.
Leupold sell a 2-7 rimfire model which is a favorite of mine for all but specific rimfire competition. Fine duplex, short eye relief and nice glass. I really like this one on a 22. I have had the 3-9 with A/O, a nice one too. The 2-7 fits me better and at 2x is super fast and accurate plinker.
I have the Fine duplex on my varmint gun and pr AR as well so it is that more friendly for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:14:18 AM EDT
[#3]
as long as you can adjust parallax you should be good to go.

i have a simmons 44mag on mine which is 6.5-20x44 which has an AO on my 10/22
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:15:14 AM EDT
[#4]
there is a rimfire forum here under armory or there is rimfirecentral.com
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:57:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info. I bought a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm scope last night. Quite nice. Will see how it does this weekend!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top