Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/17/2006 4:02:39 PM EDT
I'm currently in the middle of a build. I elected to go with a flat top with a smooth float tube with a bipod mount, since I don't plan on attaching anything to the float except for a bipod. The barrel I'm using has a standard (non Colt) front sight post. If you want an approximation for how the rifle is going to look, picture the Bushmaster Varminter but with a front sight post instead of just a gas block.

If I mount a scope to the flattop, will I be able to see the front sight post occluding my view? I realize that it's possible to co-witness with an aimpoint or other non-magnified optic, but that's not what I want.

If I need to, I'll purchase a folding FSP or railed gas block, but I'm hoping to stick with the fixed because I like not having to deal with a folding front sight. I may purchase a rear BUIS though.

As an aside, what rear folding BUIS are compatible with a regular Bushmaster front sight post? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#1]
anyone?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe you could "clear" the FSB by using a 1/2" riser under the scope rings......

As far as the BUIS goes, I have had good luck with ARMS #40 and GGG MAD BUIS's. Going to try MI in the future and see how they work. Most should work well. I dont think it will do much good unless you have QD rings to dump the scope..... Just trying to help... Milldude
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:51:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You'll be fine with a magnified optic.  You won't even notice the front sight while looking through the glass.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#4]
with low powered optics you will see a slight blur if any.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:42:42 PM EDT
[#5]

QD rings to dump the scope

Good call. We'll see if the scope I pick gets interfered with it all by the FSB. If it does, the FSB will get replaced by a folding version.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#6]
With my 4x ACOG the FSB is a very light blur and the Larue BUIS isn't seen at all.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top