Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/17/2006 4:02:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/17/2006 4:03:56 PM EDT by RavenVT100]
I'm currently in the middle of a build. I elected to go with a flat top with a smooth float tube with a bipod mount, since I don't plan on attaching anything to the float except for a bipod. The barrel I'm using has a standard (non Colt) front sight post. If you want an approximation for how the rifle is going to look, picture the Bushmaster Varminter but with a front sight post instead of just a gas block.

If I mount a scope to the flattop, will I be able to see the front sight post occluding my view? I realize that it's possible to co-witness with an aimpoint or other non-magnified optic, but that's not what I want.

If I need to, I'll purchase a folding FSP or railed gas block, but I'm hoping to stick with the fixed because I like not having to deal with a folding front sight. I may purchase a rear BUIS though.

As an aside, what rear folding BUIS are compatible with a regular Bushmaster front sight post? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:57:05 AM EDT
anyone?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:02:14 PM EDT
I believe you could "clear" the FSB by using a 1/2" riser under the scope rings......

As far as the BUIS goes, I have had good luck with ARMS #40 and GGG MAD BUIS's. Going to try MI in the future and see how they work. Most should work well. I dont think it will do much good unless you have QD rings to dump the scope..... Just trying to help... Milldude
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:51:54 PM EDT
You'll be fine with a magnified optic. You won't even notice the front sight while looking through the glass.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:35:38 PM EDT
with low powered optics you will see a slight blur if any.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:42:42 PM EDT

QD rings to dump the scope

Good call. We'll see if the scope I pick gets interfered with it all by the FSB. If it does, the FSB will get replaced by a folding version.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:57:16 PM EDT
With my 4x ACOG the FSB is a very light blur and the Larue BUIS isn't seen at all.

Top Top