Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 8:52:08 PM EDT
What is eye relief? Also, I want to get a scope for my M4...what power scope should i be looking at? I don't really know what im talkin about so try not to flame TOO much. lol hippie.gif
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:21:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 6:24:37 AM EDT by eye_spy]
"Eye Relief

This describes the distance between your shooting eye and eyepiece lens. It's an important safety consideration. Because if the eye relief is too short, there's an increased risk of dangerous contact between you and your scope under recoil.

Eye relief is determined by the field-of-view, and by the focal lengths of the objective lens and eyepiece lens. Generally, the higher the magnification and the larger the field-of-view, the shorter the eye relief."

Simply put, i'ts the distance between your eye and the scope.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:05:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 8:07:42 AM EDT by Big-FED]
With most decent, modern scopes, the eye relief is around 3"-3.5" and is more than adequate for use on an AR since recoil is not a factor.

The power issue is all up to you and how you intend to use your AR. Most AR users (IMHO), probably have alternate, easily swapped setups to go between a red dot/holo type sight for close quarter combat situations to those times when they want to stretch their AR's legs and reach out and touch some one (or thing) at longer ranges.

Some scopes are low power and some (ACOG, for one) are designed to do both, but still have limits a the longer ranges except for those guys who really practice. High power scopes limit field of view and are not appropriate for close ranges.

It all comes down to some decisions you have to make, what is your primary use going to be and then second, etc.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:06:14 AM EDT
Top Top