Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2005 2:40:51 PM EDT
The stickied BUIS thread by Strick909 in this optics forum is a great collection of information... not the least of which is the BUIS chart made by TheRicker of ADCO firearms. However, the other day I was trying to track down the folded-down height of a BUIS to no avail. It unfortunately was not on the chart, and not even on the manufacturer's website (A common omission I've noticed!). I had my questioned answerd by starting a new thread, but I figure a completed version of this chart could answer a lot of people's question's right off the bat. I also figure that between us all, we could fill in a lot of the blanks on this chart from the BUIS' we own. I hope TheRicker doesn't mind, but I've converted his original chart image (and data) into a html file to make it easier to update as new data trickles in. So get out those calipers and start posting the missing heights, weights, etc! I've also added a field called "Slots Used" to collect how many slots of the receiver/rail a BUIS occupies in it's intended position. For example, the ARMS #40 covers up just the rearmost slot, so I put "T1". If a BUIS covered up the first 3 slots, I'd put "T1-T3"

Without further adieu:
The BUIS Chart
My webhost went tits-up so in the meantime, here's the chart on angelfire (please excuse their crappy ads)

When measuring the folded down height of BUIS:
Measure from a surface that touches the top part of the receiver (not a part that grips below the rail) to the highest point on the BUIS. [Edit: Make that the highest point that would be underneath an optic. E.g. A windage knob that is higher than than the rest of the BUIS, but is far enough off to the side as to not interfere with a scope's clearance should not be included in the measured height. ]
Also, apring loaded sights such as the ARMS #40 can sometimes be compressed a bit lower than their lever normally keeps them. Measure their normal height rather than compressing them. I doubt anyone will want to crush them down the extra 1/16th of an inch with their scope.

Here's a pic of me measuring my #40A2:

You can see the top of the apereture will stick up from the top of the receiver almost exactly 1" .

The reason I started a new thread for this in addition to adding to the stickied topic was to garner fresh attention to get the ball rolling on people submitting measurements. I figured most people don't read past the 1st FAQ page on the stickies. If we get more of this chart filled in, hopefully we can get an updated image of it added to the first post of the stickied thread.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#2]
This is just the kind of info I have been trying to find.

Watching with interest.

viator
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one question first.

Will an ARMS #40 return to zero once removed?

If so, I could get a measurement lickedy split.

If not...........ahh shit. Screw it.

ARMS #40: .930", T1.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 2:50:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Wizzo! Yeah, that might be one roadblock to getting measurements in, people will need to redo their loctite jobs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2005 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Added the TROY BUIS height.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 1:43:58 AM EDT
[#8]
The Knights 300M measures 0.310" high folded.

The windage knob sticks up an additional 0.250" high, but it is 0.610" right of center so it doesn't interfere with the scope.

In my experience it is the lowest BUIS available today.

Thanks for putting this chart together!
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The Knights 300M measures 0.310" high folded.

The windage knob sticks up an additional 0.250" high, but it is 0.610" right of center so it doesn't interfere with the scope.

In my experience it is the lowest BUIS available today.

Thanks for putting this chart together!

Added. Whew that sure is one low profile sight! I didn't take into account things that'd stick up higher than the rest of the BUIS, but are off center of the scope (and therefore a non-issue for clearance). I'll make a note of that in my first post.

Link Posted: 10/26/2005 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Weekly Bump
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#11]
bump
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I came back to see if info had been updated only to find that the link is dead.

Whazzup?

viator
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:55:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link in original post fixed.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top