BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2005 9:30:46 AM EDT
I just ordered this scope and a LaRue SPR mount for it. I suspect that I might have to put my ARMS #40 BUIS up for sale in the EE and pick up a Troy.

This photo and and quote were made buy a guy on snipershide.com (link).

"[...]Also I returned my QRW rings to leupold for stripped screws and they came back a few hundredths of an inch lower than the set I sent. Lost the ability to clear the ARMS 40 rear sight."

Since I'm not sure the LaRue is as tall as his riser/ring combo to begin with, I'm thinking the lower BUIS will be in order.

In anycase, I'd just like to see what other configurations ya'll have with this scope.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 1:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Boy, that's an old picture.  That upper got traded here for a NM upper, and the lower traded for a Savage 110 in 223.
The scope still lives but on now on an ASA uppered .936" Heavy barreled SPR'ish carbine.
I just got the YHM 7" rail to get the scope forward as I shoot nose to CH, and it just (I mean JUST) clears my ASA front sight when folded and my ARMS 40L:

Different rifle, same scope, same tile and my camera's getting worse.........

Creeper, you should be ok w/the Larue and an ARMS 40L or a DPMS Mangonel

BTW-nice looking setup eklikwhoa! I almost ran with the ARMS 38EXS, but I wanted to be lower than I could get with the standard rear ARMS sight.  What kinda accuracy do you get , I haven't had mine out yet.......
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the nice looking pics guys. Glad to see your scope is still ticking sobr (and that your squib'd barrel got resolved).

From the pics it definately looks like the #40 will be showing up in the EE very soon. Oh well, guess I was a bit shortsighted (like when I bought a carry handle instead of a BUIS in the first place!). Live and learn!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 2:56:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Oh well, guess I was a bit shortsighted (like when I bought a carry handle instead of a BUIS in the first place!). Live and learn!

hey, that's part of the fun...and you'll get most of your money back on the BUIS, so it's not too expensive a lesson.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:46:40 PM EDT
[#5]

hey, that's part of the fun

And to think I dropped my ARF.com one day not even looking for a poodle shooter, and then I had to build a kit carbine from M1S too save money, and then, and then, and then I shot HP Service Rifle, and then, and then.............
I'd hate to calc up what I've spent just on the different incarnations of AR's that just one "money saving" carbine became!!

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:13:59 AM EDT
[#6]
In the very first picture the scope is mounted with a standard front sight, is this going to effect sight picture?

I am looking to scope my AR in the same fashion, should I replace the Front sight with a weaver gas block?

any thoughts?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
In the very first picture the scope is mounted with a standard front sight, is this going to effect sight picture?
I am looking to scope my AR in the same fashion, should I replace the Front sight with a weaver gas block?

any thoughts?

no it will not, usually with 4x and up you will not notice the front sight in the picture
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:22:24 PM EDT
[#9]

You won't even notice it in a 10x scope (that was my rifle pictured, and I never saw it.....)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:04:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You won't even notice it in a 10x scope (that was my rifle pictured, and I never saw it.....)

Yup, mine too
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:43:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Again using the first picture

I have the same setup -ARMS BUIS, Houge free float hand guard, Standard front sight ect..

If i put on a swan extension rail with medium or high set of ARMS throw lever rings will this get the super sniper above the ARMS BUIS??
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 3:47:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Again using the first picture

I have the same setup -ARMS BUIS, Houge free float hand guard, Standard front sight ect..

If i put on a swan extension rail with medium or high set of ARMS throw lever rings will this get the super sniper above the ARMS BUIS??

on mine is was using high badger ordinance rings

or was it extra high?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#13]
do they make a 14 inch extend rail without the sight built in to it?

did you like the set-up and the 10x fixed scope??

do you like the super sniper?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:56:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Question - why the need for a preinstalled BUIS on a sniper type of setup?

If you are sniping - you are at a longer distance, under cover.   You've got time to  pull a BUIS or carryhandle out of your gear if needed.

I'd rather enjoy the benefits of mounting my optics closer to the bore than hiking the scope up high enough to clear a BUIS.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#16]
well my answer for me is:

I have a red dot on it now with a G.I. front sight. (this keeps me from lowering to much).I am removing the red dot and scoping it.

I am buying the super sniper because it will go really good on my m1a and I will try it also on my AR

I would just prefer to keep the BUIS on the gun and sighted so I am going to lift the super sniper up above the BUIS

just my druthers
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Almost forgot about this thread. Well I've since recieved my SS. Might as well make with the pics too!

As I thought, and as you can see in the pic... the ARMS #40 would not fit. Looks like I'll be ordering a Troy soon.

Here's a thumbnail of a 1600x1200 pic through the scope that is now my wallpaper:

It's also on SWFA's site :)

As others have said, the front sight is completely invisible when looking through the scope, even though it's so close the lens cap barely clears it.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#18]
that is it, I am getting one

got to have!!

Looks like you have the rear focus
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Creeper1313 could you give me the distance you have right now from the middle of the scope tube to the base of the flat top rifle

guessing 1.4 inches or so? and how much more you would need to get the arms 40 to fit
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#20]
The SPR mount puts the middle of the tube 1.5" above the rail. I think you'd have to go up to close to  2" for the SS to clear an arms #40 (see the pic in the first post). The highest part of the ARMS is about 1" above the rail. There is about 9/16" of clearance below the rear lens cover of my scope in the SPR.... hence about .5" higher is needed to clear the #40.

IMO, 2" would be a bit high for my tastes. Also, the one piece SPR lets me quickly swap the SS with my EOtech (also on a LaRue mount). A riser on thumbscrews or two super high rings wouldn't do this nearly as well. Of course, if it's a dedicated varmint gun this isn't an issue... but I wanted a dual purpose AR.

In the grand scheme of things, a BUIS is not a core component of a rifle...i.e. unlike an upper, it is easy to swap. I wouldn't marry yourself to your BUIS or let it dictate the rifle you really want. The EE will let you get most of your money back on your #40, which you can put towards a #40L or Troy that will fit under a lower scope. That's what I plan to do.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:02:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Here is one.  I built this one a few years back.  It is a fun rifle.

IDHunt
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:59:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Real good points.
thanks for your input!

I am still thinking of going the two inches, is there a huge error caused by this at ranges?

I am still amazed that as low as your rifle sits, the scope does not show the front sight at all

great pic of the scope view.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:35:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Just for comparison, here's the rifle's other form with the EOtech. It can go from the SS to the EO in about 5 seconds.

As for the accuracy of a 2" mount, I can't comment on it personally, but I'm sure they could be dialed in. I just prefer the lower cheekweld.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#24]
That is because you dont have a big fat head like i do!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:25:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I really like this scope but I am wondering if for my purposes if this is overkill.

I am mostly going to be doing 100-150 yard shots.  Woudl this be too much scope?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I dont think the 10x would be
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I really like this scope but I am wondering if for my purposes if this is overkill.

I am mostly going to be doing 100-150 yard shots.  Woudl this be too much scope?

I use a Burris 3x9 on my AR and most of the time have it turned up to 6x.  The main use for the rifle is varmit extermination (coyotes & armadillos) on the family farm.   It's nice to be able to verify your target  in the late eveing in tall grass.  If you start getting closer than 100 yards with that SuperSniper you're going to harder time finding your target.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Who paid that $10 and sent in their warrenty info on the SS.......is it worth it or will SWFA replace it if something internally messes up on it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Who paid that $10 and sent in their warrenty info on the SS.......is it worth it or will SWFA replace it if something internally messes up on it.

last i read they replaced/repaired without the warranty info
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#30]
My AR10A4 with S/S barrel and Super Sniper 10x42 with rear focus:

Link Posted: 11/4/2005 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#31]
What kind of sling do you have on her? Where did you get it from?

Sorry I did'nt mean to hijack but I had to ask....
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#32]
Looks like a Specter.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 8:23:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh, this thread again :) Might as well throw in the pic of my SS10x now that I've got my new BUIS, trigger guard, and grip (thanks Grant!)

Link Posted: 11/4/2005 8:36:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Oh, this thread again :) Might as well throw in the pic of my SS10x now that I've got my new BUIS, trigger guard, and grip (thanks Grant!)

img487.imageshack.us/img487/7954/ar15ss10tdsm1xm.jpg

What kind of groups are you getting with that carbine?
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#35]
I get about 1.5" at 100 yards. However, that's just using my magazine as a monopod as I don't have a gun vise... also, I'm still a novice shooter, so I'm pretty sure that's more my shaking than the rifle. I suppose I should try to grab a bunch of sandbags for my next range trip... I'd guess I could invest the $100 in a gun vise... but I'd be afraid I wouldn't use it more than once or twice.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
What kind of sling do you have on her? Where did you get it from?

Sorry I did'nt mean to hijack but I had to ask....

Just a CQB in tan from Quantico Arms.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I get about 1.5" at 100 yards. However, that's just using my magazine as a monopod as I don't have a gun vise... also, I'm still a novice shooter, so I'm pretty sure that's more my shaking than the rifle. I suppose I should try to grab a bunch of sandbags for my next range trip... I'd guess I could invest the $100 in a gun vise... but I'd be afraid I wouldn't use it more than once or twice.

You could use a bipod, they work pretty well for me.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#38]
I'd say this thread deserves a bump
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Not to hi jak either, but is that a rail piece underneth the forearm???  For a light or bi-pod??

Just curious...

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#40]
heres one

rifle specs:

RRA lower with NK trigger
G27 grip
ACE AFRX-E stock (sold it though, and now it wears the A2 again)
specter sling
RRA varmint 18" upper
leupold PRW high rings (not quite high enough)
SS10X42 scope

cory
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Creeper1313

What  brand is that mount ring set up?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I just free floated the barrel on the AR10A4 shown above:

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:56:43 PM EDT
[#43]
do you guys with larue mounts have good luck holding zero when you remove the scope and then remount it?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:40:56 AM EDT
[#45]
I plan on going with a half inch YHM riser. What height Millet 30MM rings do I need to make this work? Can someone suggest a better set up for less than $100.00?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:59:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Could you guys list the mounts you prefer? I am about to re-do my precision rig and I was thinking about getting this peice of glass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Could you guys list the mounts you prefer? I am about to re-do my precision rig and I was thinking about getting this peice of glass.

On my AR10s, I prefer the ArmaLite one piece scope mount.  It is available in 30mm and 1 inch.  It will work on any AR that has a picatinny rail.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Searched the EE for a 30MM Armalite mount found none. Where is a good place to get one?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:23:52 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Searched the EE for a 30MM Armalite mount found none. Where is a good place to get one?

Call ArmaLite at 800-336-0184.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not to hi jak either, but is that a rail piece underneth the forearm???  For a light or bi-pod??

Just curious...

Thanks

Havent check ARFCOM in awhile and saw this thread resurfaced :). That rail is for a SAMCO mount for a Surfire G2. Nice el cheapo light solution. You might be able to get away with mounting a Bipod on it, but I'd be afraid it'd be too flimsy on the plastic handguards.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top