AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 3:04:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As far as  I know the Burris passes all my requirements. My problem is that it is virtually identical to the SPOT and as far as I can tell isn't any better (just more money). This is why I don't stock it.

C4

You never have answered if the SPOT is waterproof, Burris says the Xtreme is.
Why does Burris say the Xtreme is gtg for all uses, but SPOT explicitly says their optic is for plinking only. Are they "virtually identical" or not?
I'll take the Burris backed warranty anyday over someone I have never heard of. Burris has a very well deserved reputation that they uphold.
Isn't there an ARMS thread somewhere you need to hijack?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As far as  I know the Burris passes all my requirements. My problem is that it is virtually identical to the SPOT and as far as I can tell isn't any better (just more money). This is why I don't stock it.

C4

Why does Burris say the Xtreme is gtg for all uses, but SPOT explicitly says their optic is for plinking only. Are they "virtually identical" or not?
I'll take the Burris backed warranty anyday over someone I have never heard of. Burris has a very well deserved reputation that they uphold.

There is no doubt that Grant is quite knowledgeable about optics.  The problem is, he has a disdain for any optic that he chooses not to carry.  Like it or not, there are plenty of good quality optics that are out there that may not meet "his" requirements.   So, instead of allowing end users to evaluate and discuss the Burris, he will come in and pitch a product that he happens to stock.  
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

C4

There is no doubt that Grant is quite knowledgeable about optics.  The problem is, he has a disdain for any optic that he chooses not to carry.  Like it or not, there are plenty of good quality optics that are out there that may not meet "his" requirements.   So, instead of allowing end users to evaluate and discuss the Burris, he will come in and pitch a product that he happens to stock.  

While I appreciate you talking for me, at least try and get it right. There are TONS of optics that I do not stock that I think are great (S&B, NightForce, Elcan, etc). Hell one of my favorite optics is a Burris Black Diamond (which I personally own and use).

My point about the Burris and the SPOT is that as far as I can see they are same animal and the SPOT is less money. Call me crazy, but I was just trying to save some folks money.

C4

Or were you just trying to make a sale?

If you recall, this was your very first entry into this thread...

Make you a deal, if the SPOT doesn't make it I will replace and or refund your money.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Thought I'd post some more pics of the Burris.  I mounted it in the Burris extra high ring and now it co-witnesses in the bottom 3rd of the sight.  

They're not the best pics but I hope you enjoy

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Your choice, but Ned of MSP is good people and stands behind his products. They also support the board (something Burris does not do).

I wish you were selling SPOT to the NOLA PD... You have any HSLD buddies down there (on the two way range, lol)?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I think this entire thread can be summarized that the XTS-135 is backed by Burris for law enforcement use and that the SPOT is a recreational optic.

Some of the dealers on this board want us to think that the SPOT is virtually the same thing, but its own manual clearly states that it is for recreational use only. They can offer no proof that the innards of the SPOT are built to the same internal standard as the Burris.

Look at rifle scopes for hunting. Many are put out by the same foreign optics houses with different brand names. Brand X can order fully multicoated lenses, stronger waterproofing seals and some really fancy features, while Brand Y can be made on the same line with cheaper internals.

The SPOT "it's the same thing" crowd needs to put up or shut up. Take a Burris XTS-135 and a SPOT recreational optic apart side by side to see of they are really the same. The Burris is rated at waterproof while the SPOT plinker optic is not. There are different dot sizes. The Burris rep. I talked to said they also ordered beefed up click settings and other improvements. Burris recoil tested the Burris with some pretty stout rifles and pistols.

BTW, I just spent a 10-hour day at a rapid response school for active shooting/killing situations that was conducted by my police department. We learned formations for moving through buildings, did live fire shooting from those formations and shot it out in a SIMS house and plywood forest.  I went through a pile of .45, .223 and 9mm simunitions ammo. The lessons learned at Columbine are that you form up in teams of 4 and go in and take out the shooters instead of containing and letting them continue their shooting spree. When you work as a team, the effects of 4 officers in formation is multiplied.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Mr Grant,

I need you to clarify your statment, "from what I know that they are the same."

Again, because you don't pay attention to detail:

dot size: 3 vs 4
waterproof rating
internal upgrades claimed by Burris
Manual stating the SPOT plinker dot is not intended for tactical use
Burris rep. Gordon stating on the record that their product is intended for real-life tactical use.

"From what I know" means you must be holding back information or are talking out of an orifice below your waist. Please cite your source on the record. Just because something looks similar does not mean the internal specifications are the same. A few beefed up waterproofing seals and ruggedized click adjustments could make a lot of difference in the real world.

I started this post with the intent to determine if the Burris will hold up to general law enforcement use. You chimed in with a sales pitch for one of your products claiming it is the same with no evidence to the contrary.

I will grant you that the SPOT and Burris are similar, but not the same thing until proven otherwise.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Burris can say whatever they want ("rated for combat"). The company the brings the SPOT into the country is also the ONLY Aimpoint Distr. in the country.

I do believe I've found the key statement. It sure would suck to be the only Aimpoint distributor in the country when a new cheaper alternative comes on the market. It is much more profitable to downplay the effectiveness of a competitor to your flagship line.
Tell us C4, which product do YOU make more money off of? Lemme guess........ Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Burris can say whatever they want ("rated for combat"). The company the brings the SPOT into the country is also the ONLY Aimpoint Distr. in the country.

I do believe I've found the key statement. It sure would suck to be the only Aimpoint distributor in the country when a new cheaper alternative comes on the market. It is much more profitable to downplay the effectiveness of a competitor to your flagship line.
Tell us C4, which product do YOU make more money off of? Lemme guess........ Aimpoint.

Well lets see, MSP BROUGHT the SPOT into the country!! Why would they do such a thing??? Oh wait I know! They thought it was a good quality optic for less money (for folks that can't afford Aimpoint).

Profit margins are better with the Aimpoint (no doubt). A lot of folks just want a quality optic for their 10/22, 9mm AR, etc and like the Aimpoint look and feel, but don't want to drop that much money (don't blame them).

I have to wonder why everyone is so concerned about this? Is it because they bought the Burris and are afraid they might have gotten the same quality for less money???

C4

I can't speak for anyone else bit I will tell you why I am concerned about it.  Many people come to the optics section to discuss a wide variety of optics varying in price and quality.  You have the attitude that if it isn't in the sandbox, then nobody hear should dare speak of it...unless its an optic you're selling.  I started the first Burris XTS thread and I begged people posting in it not to make it an Aimpoint comparison thread but you couldn't help yourself.  Then you started pitching Eotechs and SPOTs without ever handling a Burris XTS for yourself.  

I had a choice when I bought my red dot.  I could have bought the XTS from an established optics company that I have been more than satisfied with in the past, or I could have bought an optic that I know nothing about other than it is named after a dog.  I don't feel the least bit sorry nor do I regret getting the XTS because it has done everything I need it to do and I have the peace of mind knowing that Burris will back it up.  

People who have done business with you speak very highly of you and I have no doubt that you deserve that reputation and it could very possibly be me just misinterpretting your posts.  Perhaps you might change your mind if you actually get your hands on a Burris before you start offering alternatives.  I have never handled the SPOT which is exactly why I wouldn't try to talk someone out of getting one
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I passed on the SPOT, after doing my research and knowing the SPOT and Burris are extremely similar and made by the same company ?(btw: C4, weren't you the guy claiming the Burris was made in China?).
I chose the Burris at the higher price because I trust in Burris's customer service and warranty. I also took note of the fact that Burris states that they feel their product is gtg for all uses and the SPOT manual says plinking only. Burris also says their product is waterproof, SPOT makes no such claims.
So, I guess it all comes down to this, Burris (an established company with an excellent reputation) puts their claims in writing as to the quality of the product, thus putting their established, excellent reputation on the line, vs. SPOT, a behind the scenes importer/distributor unknown to the general public says that their product is for limited applications.  I have no doubts that both you and MSP will stand behind the SPOT optic. I have bought products from you in the past and was pleased with the service and price.
But IMO, you are incorrect in stating that the Burris and SPOT are identical. They are very similar, but it is obvious that Burris spec'd the XTS to different standards. Myself, I'll pay more for the Burris reputation and backing.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:29:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Just FYI.
I've owned 2 Aimpoints, a Trijicon ACOG NSN, a Leupold CQT, and a EoTech 552f, as well a Burris XTS.
One Aimpoint (bought used) crapped out after a year of light use, I don't blame anyone, you buy used you take your chances.
The Trijicon had a badly tilted reticle and the tritium was extremely dim straight out of the box, also the BUIS on top drifted out of the dovetail in under 20 rounds.
The Leupold would not light up the reticle straight out of the box, Leupold cs sucked, but luckily my dealer and his distributor made good on it.
The EoTech would not hold zero straight out of the box.
The other Aimpoint and the Burris have been perfect.
So excuse me if I don't get all moist over "mil-spec" optics. The $250 Burris has been a better optic than the $2000 worth of ACOG/CQT/552.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Would you be shocked if I put the SPOT in a fish bowl and it survived. What if I thru it out of a moving car and it worked just fine. Done that with your XTS??? No you most likely haven't, but at least you have your piece of paper SAYING that it is GTG.
C4

I could care less what your fish look at. And I don't intentionally abuse anything I buy with my money.
I have a piece of paper backed by a reputable company saying its gtg.
Hell a dollar bill is just a piece of paper, it's the entity backing it that defines its value.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

There was rumor that the XTS was made in China (as burris wouldn't answer the question at the time), but I don't think I stated that.

C4

Hmmmmmmm.................. it appears that YOU did state that the Burris was made in China.

LINK to C4's post

Quoted:

The SPOT is made in S. Korea, but it is my understanding that the Burris is made in China.

C4

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:50:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I said I don't deliberately abuse my equipment. There is a difference.
My AR rides unsecured in the cab of a 4wd PU in the desert Southwest. It is subjected to temperature extremes that can fluctuate by 30 to 40 degrees in a matter of hours. My job requires that 90% or so of my driving is in 4wd on un-maintained Right-of -ways. Across extremely rough desert terrain. The dust and heat are hell on optics and AR's. I carry the AR for personal protection when I am in the vicinity of the US/Mexico border (in extremely remote locations), and for popping the occasional coyote.
So far, the Burris has held up to that use very well.
The Burris equiped Bushmaster rides right next to my Aimpoint topped Colt, I still don't trust the Burris as much as my favorite Aimpoint, but it is damn close now, and building more trust everday.
There is more than one "sandbox" in this world to test equipment in.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I have also completed two, multi-day carbine courses so far this year (Paul Howe and Steve Moses), and two more on the schedule.
Not everyone who looks for alternatives to the established gear companies is an Airsofter.
And just to tweak on you a little bit. The Burris is mounted in an ARMS mount. Which btw: has not caused me a single problem either.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:15:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:21:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

They generally take one class with a non mil-spec optic and then change their thought process after the class.

C4

I took my first class with an Aimpoint, all subsequent classes have been with straight irons.
I guess I have really gone "mil-spec" huh?
I have a pic around here somewhere of me and "Hawkeye" (a mod here on AR15.com) at Steve's course.
Him with his gear queer rifle, and me with a naked Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Guys, arguing with Grant is unproductive. He always has to get in the last word and, as an Airforce loadmaster, knows more about the AR platform/optics than anyone else. Resistence is futile. Products he sells are obviously the best, all else is junk. For example, the spot (can't even say that without laughing) is good, Burris is bad. LT is good, ARMS is bad. Don't you guys understand? Heed the "paying dealer" out of respect, it's the right thing to do. Exgrant customer out...
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I started this post acknowledging that the Aimpoint is the Mercedes of optics. I wanted to see if the Burris XTS-135 was capable of general police use. I would love to have an Aimpoint Comp ML2, but was wondering if the Burris was a close second for my type of usage, general police use: riding in a case in a car and put into service to shoot a deer/urban mountain lion, covering a K-9 track of a suspect, surrounding a home with an armed suspect and so on. My duty pistol is an HK USP .45f so I am not a cheap ass. I just want to know if the Burris will do the job I need it to at a reasonable price.

I was very impressed that Burris had given me a very straightforward response to my questions.  My conversation and the e-mail response from Gordon makes Burris a credible source. When the issue of the SPOT was thrown into this thread by Grant, things went downhill fast.

The only way we will know if the Burris XTS-135 and the SPOT plinker dot are the exact same thing or "similar" is to have a scientific dissection of the two side-by-side. Since Grant is making the case that they are the same, I suggest he put his reputation as a dealer on the line.

I am calling out to Grant to obtain a spec. sheet of the SPOT from his contacts on high at the exclusive Aimpoint distributor to see exactly what they are importing. Compare that to a Burris and we should have an answer. If Grant is willing to toss a perfectly good SPOT range queen optic out of a car, he should be willing to take that one apart for us. Remember, the salesman is saying they are the exact same thing.

Also, if Grant heard from his sources that the Burris was being made in China AND THAT WAS DEAD WRONG, why should we believe that he is right about the SPOT recreational dot being the same thing as the Burris? Same and similar are two very different things.

Let's take the two apart side by side and end this. That way Grant can explain why one has a 3 MOA dot and the other has a 4 MOA dot, why one company claims waterproof to a certain depth and no claim is made on the other, and why Burris rates theirs as being duty ready while the other is for fat guys who take their AR's to the range to look tactical.

My theory is that the dealer does not want to admit he was wrong about the Burris and the SPOT 10/22 ready dot being exactly the same. Just the fact that the dots are different sizes proves he painted himself into a corner. Burris wanted a certain set of specs on their dot, the SPOT paper puncher dot seems to have another.

10-42
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:52:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
What do we know anyway, we just do this for a living....

See HerrJaegermeister, heed the "paying dealer". He knows what's right for you.

There used to be a time when pissing off potential customers wasn't cool. Grant, do you know that you're the only dealer on the board that constantly does that???

I'm glad a couple of common sense members have posted their results of using the new Burris sight. From what I've heard here and know of the company, it's a candidate to end up on one of my rifles. It definitely has potential. That's being said by an Aimpoint/Trijicon owner, BTW. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#39]
I can't believe I just read all 4 pages of this post

I want a refund on the last 8 minutes of my Sunday.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm not saying completely different internals, I am picking apart your language and pointing out the difference between the same and similar.

I can order a Ford Ranger from my dealer that is 2-wheel drive with a 4-cylinder engine or I can order an off-road package 4x4 with a 4.0L v-6. Both are made in St. Paul. One is rated for off road and the other is a light duty truck. What I am trying to do is establish the differences between the Burris and the SPOT range toy. I know enough about hunting optics to know that different brand names order products from the same factories at different price points with different features. Some of the nicer Bushnells and Weavers are made by the same factory in Japan.

Grant has offered no evidence that the Burris and the SPOT named-after-a-doggy dot are exactly the same thing as he claims. Burris has stated on the record that they started with an existing product and ordered improvements to their specifications.

Yup, I'm new here. The more you rant like an arrogant know-it-all, and yet you've probably never arrested a criminal at gunpoint, means more and more potential customers will be turned off by your attitude. At least you are tactical at the range and in your store with all the expensive toys.

That sucking sound you hear is potential customers fleeing from your business.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:37:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I can't believe I just read all 4 pages of this post

I want a refund on the last 8 minutes of my Sunday.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:58:03 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Thanks Mike. If your life depends on the gear you choose then go with one that is battle proven (not the new kid on the block).

Anything electronic can fail. I've had two Aimpoints fail personally, and know of a third... I also have a friend who's EoTech Rev F failed. I doubt the Burris is any more failure prone than the rest. This is why I consider irons to be the primary sighting system and the optic icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:01:02 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The bottom line:

SPOT is good for range not recommended for LE or Military work.  Price $149.00 w/ mount.

Burris is made by the same people who make the SPOT (I know this for a fact) but it is gone through by Burris to make it better. Price range appears to be from $208.00 $228.00 w/ out mount.

Aimpoint is a proven LE & Military sight battery, durability, and reliability is all outstanding.  Prices for an ML2 range from approximately $360 to $376 w/ out the mount.

EoTech is also in the game and it is my favorite and one of the best out of the bunch.  To me it is faster than any of them and does not obstruct your peripheral vision like the others will do.  We sell more EoTechs to SWAT guys and more Aimpoints to Military.  The EoTech is also a proven sight among LE & Military.  Price is $332 w/ a mount.  

By the time you buy a mount for the Burris you are at the same price for the EoTech!

My thought is (you do not have to agree) if I’m just using it for plinking go with the SPOT.  If you are LE and your life or others lives are on the line I HIGHLY recommend getting something proven (Liability and Safety reason).   If you are looking for a lower priced alterative over the Aimpoint I would recommend the EoTech.  

Hi HerrJaegermeister
“I started this post acknowledging that the Aimpoint is the Mercedes of optics. I wanted to see if the Burris XTS-135 was capable of general police use.”

You say you wanted to know if it is capable for general LE use but it has not been proven yet.  It will take a year or so to see.  If you are not abusive to it I do not foresee a problem, but for me I would NOT take the RISK.

AGAIN IT IS UP TO YOU.  I and others can only give recommendation you are the one that decides.  

Thank you for your time.

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]
NO Credit Card Fees processing here
Ask About Pack deals!

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks for AR15 Board
Mike at CS Gunworks is...

Thanks Mike. If your life depends on the gear you choose then go with one that is battle proven (not the new kid on the block).

C4

I'm just curious.  Did everyone say the same thing when the Eotech came out?  How did it become "battle proven" if everyone followed this advice?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:21:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:23:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top