Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/11/2003 5:05:23 PM EDT
I'm considering a TA11 but not sure whether to go with the donut or triangle recticle.  

Most opportunities are less than 300m but occasionally beyond that (target and hunting).  I'm shooting a Bushy 20" HBAR A2.  Can you guys offer any advise?  Anybody got experience with both?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Iv'e seen both recticles and it is really up to you. The donut is brighter because their is more of it there. The tip of the triangle will probably give you a little more accuracy. My one recommendation would be to go with the red over the amber though. I just picked up the red much better. You will be happy either way though it is an eexcellent optic.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
The donut is the generally preferred option.  While the tip of the triangle offers a precise aiming point, it covers too much of the target at 200 to 300 yds for accurate placement at those distances.  The donut is hollow and allows you to see the target better.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 3:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, at 400 plus you are going to be on the ladder reticle so they are the same.  The donut is faster, and gives you more reference points.  Top of donut, top inside edge, bottom inside edge, bottom edge.  I would go with the donut.  Triangle could be more precise at 100, but if you are just going to shoot at 100 yards then there are a lot less expensive optics that would do just fine for you.  My 2 cents...
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I prefer the donut for the reason bsbg stated for general purpose.

Id prefer the chevron on a precision rig.
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#6]
So if I understand what you donut guys are saying:
With the triangle my 200m shots would be sighted at about mid-triangle and  a 300m shot would be sighted approximately at the base, thus covering the target.  I believe the triangle is 4MOA at the base, same as the OD of the donut, but you can see through the donut hole and have a better view of your target than with the triangle.  Makes sense, sounds like the donut might be the better choice for me.
Thanks for the feedback.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 7:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Notice the nice aiming point for 300 yards on the Chevron.
[img]http://www.trijicon.com/parts/797A.jpg[/img]

The donut works nice for center of mass (same 4 MOA aiming point as on the Aimpoint M2).  Plus for close usage, under speed, I found the donut faster as besides being brighter, did not have to spend a few micro-seconds for the brain to decide to use the body vs point.  With the donut a center of mass hold is natural (could probably be address with training ... but only purchase one BAC ACOG that 24 hrs).
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Notice the nice aiming point for 300 yards on the Chevron.
[url]http://www.trijicon.com/parts/797A.jpg[/url]
View Quote

That is not what a TA11 chevron looks like btw.  Its more like an arrow.  The dot is actually a line.  Its more like:

^
|

than

^

If you can get what I mean from that its not as precise as it leads you on to be.  The top of the bar is 200 though and the bottom of the bar is 300 so in a way its better than a dot under the chevron.
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#9]
my vote is for the donut, i've had a TA31F and a TA11. the donut just as accurate at 100 and 200 yds as the chevron. i found the chevron to be a distraction for some reason and the donut was much fast for snap shooting at less than 50 yards.

i went with a TA01nsn for accuracy on my scoped rifle. out to 200 yards i prefer the aimpoint M2/ML2 anyway but YMMV.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top