Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2003 12:20:30 AM EDT
I've heard that exposure to bright light can damage nvg's but would the muzzle flash of an AR be enough to cause damage?

Digital
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 3:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
NVDs have internal circuit breakers to prevent this.  Firing the MaDuce with the first generation Starlight scopes required us to remove the [i]tracers[/i] from the belt as they lit so close to the barrel as to draw contrails on the screen or kick the breakers.  No problems with anything smaller.

Cheap Chinese or Russian NVDs may still have problems like this, US milspec don't.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 1:10:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you think it'd be a problem on some Gen 1 Night Owl goggles?  Yeah i know they're cheap but this is just for coyotes.

Digital
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Assuming you don't have a muzzle flash supressor on your rifle do some testing at night to find what ammo has the minimum flash on your rifle.  Wolf has a flash signature the size and color of an 3' diameter pumpkin without a flash supressor, thru a Vortex it's invisible to the naked eye.

5.56mm tracers light far enough down range to not have any problems.  

-- Chuck
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top