Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2003 1:14:07 PM EDT
W/ two closely mounted screws and limited mounting surface area as seen here, I wouldn't think that it'd stand up too well.

Heard anything good or bad about them?

http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/scopes/Images/thm-9474.jpg
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#2]
It's made by Yankee Hill Machine Co, and all the other items made by them (that I've seen) were VERY well made. I too, plan on getting one of these.

Btw, I have ordered directly from YHM (1 item), and received it in less than a week. Some manufacturers seem to treat direct orders as something of a nuisance, but not YHM.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:20:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one mounted on my ArmaLite and my overall impressions are that it is a solid mount, but nowhere near as good as the full-length rail extensions.  By pressing down on the end, I can get some deflection, whereas using the same force on a GG&G GS-1 rail I have mounted on a Bushy v-match doesn't produce any deflection.  However, it is quite a bit of force and it's definitely not representative of the conditions I shoot in with this particular rifle (100-200 yards off a bench).

It's definitely the cheapest mount out there and the full length options cost almost twice as much (I picked mine up at Camp Perry, so it was a little cheaper and I didn't have to pay shipping).  In the end, I think you do get what you pay for and that if you feel you need it, spend the extra $35 for a full-length rail mount.

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/056992.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:13:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have one mounted on my ArmaLite and my overall impressions are that it is a solid mount, but nowhere near as good as the full-length rail extensions.  By pressing down on the end, I can get some deflection, whereas using the same force on a GG&G GS-1 rail I have mounted on a Bushy v-match doesn't produce any deflection.  However, it is quite a bit of force and it's definitely not representative of the conditions I shoot in with this particular rifle (100-200 yards off a bench).

It's definitely the cheapest mount out there and the full length options cost almost twice as much (I picked mine up at Camp Perry, so it was a little cheaper and I didn't have to pay shipping).  In the end, I think you do get what you pay for and that if you feel you need it, spend the extra $35 for a full-length rail mount.

[url]http://www.hunt101.com/img/056992.jpg[/url]
View Quote

You guys are kidding right? Do the math. Okay, that scope is cantilevered off the mounting interface at least six inches. Lets use 6" for a conservative estimate. Now say, the end of the scope sees a load that deflects it .060"(easily done as thin as that extension is). Okay it will spring back but the extension is most likely 6061-T6 aluminum right? Yielding .060" it will not return to exactly the same position. Let’s say it does return 90%. So now the end of the scope is .006" from the original position. That translates to your scope being off .057 degrees (approx. 3.5 MOA) from it's original position. At 100 yards .057 degrees = 3.582".
Nope, I wouldn't hang anything on there other than a flashlight.
--RR
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok. so let's pose this question.. would it be worth $30 to find out?
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok. so let's pose this question.. would it be worth $30 to find out?
View Quote
Yep. As far as deflection goes, on the ARMS #39 I had, the lower portion would deflect about (never cared to measure exactly) 1/8th-inch under not-so-much pressure, and it never had any adverse effect; I doubt the YHM rail extension would be any different.

What I also plan to do with mine is to purchase the 45 degree angle dove tail mounts YHM sells
View Quote
Me, too, but mainly because it's something noone else has thought to make. It would make for a decent offset mount on a handguard rail for a light. I keep checking their website, but they seem to be almost permanently out of stock on this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You guys are kidding right? Do the math. Okay, that scope is cantilevered off the mounting interface at least six inches. Lets use 6" for a conservative estimate. Now say, the end of the scope sees a load that deflects it .060"(easily done as thin as that extension is). Okay it will spring back but the extension is most likely 6061-T6 aluminum right? Yielding .060" it will not return to exactly the same position. Let’s say it does return 90%. So now the end of the scope is .006" from the original position. That translates to your scope being off .057 degrees (approx. 3.5 MOA) from it's original position. At 100 yards .057 degrees = 3.582".
--RR
View Quote

roadrunner - no qualms about your math - my back of the envelope calculations give about the same amount of deflection for that angle (.006" at six inches * 600 = approx 3.6" at 100 yards).  The question is whether or not the scope puts that much tension on the mount to cause that kind of deflection - I'm not sure if it does or doesn't (read: I haven't gotten off my lazy ass to do the calculations yet).  It definitely would be interesting to see though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
--RR
View Quote

roadrunner - no qualms about your math - my back of the envelope calculations give about the same amount of deflection for that angle (.006" at six inches * 600 = approx 3.6" at 100 yards).  The question is whether or not the scope puts that much tension on the mount to cause that kind of deflection - I'm not sure if it does or doesn't (read: I haven't gotten off my lazy ass to do the calculations yet).  It definitely would be interesting to see though.
View Quote

No, I'm not saying the weight of the scope would cause that deflection... I'm saying if the scope receives the slightest bump or jar? hanging out there like that? It will loose zero. If anyone wants a true stress analysis I'll do it but I will obviously need more data. I'd need to know material and dimensions on the extension. --RR

Edited to add... I agree with Troy. A dot sight if mounted in such a way that it doesn’t put a significant cantilever on the mount would be fine. A telescopic sight on the other hand is ludicrous...

Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:10:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The answer to the question is: it depends on your intended purpose for the rail.

If you plan to mount magnified optics on it, I'd pass.  If you plan to mount a light or even a dot sight, it will probably be fine.
View Quote

THERE WE GO!!! That's the information I was looking for. My purpose for this mount is for a variable power scope for predator hunting and all around paper punching.

I was looking into extended rail/risers because I didn't want to run into a situation where I can't push the scope far enough forward to accommodate for a long eye relief. Now, that being said, I'm not going to be able to drop $150+ on a rail and rings. So, that leaves me with some of the inexpensive risers ($30-40) and a cheap pair of rings.

Keep in mind that once on, this scope won't come off until I get some A2 sights and a detachable front sight, so I don't need re-attachable zero retention yet. I also don't expect this thing to get the crap kicked out of it like a battle rifle either.

So, I've got a new question now, how reliable/effective are the $30 risers, will they suit my needs? Secondly, I'm taking ring recommendations (again, think inexpensive).

Thanks again guys.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I love it when the engineers get cranking! Just don't forget to include a summary at the end of your analysis(it's not that we can't understand, it's just not as fascinating for alot of us). It is appreciated though.
1RR-I really like that avatar.
I would spend $30 on this mount for a red dot. It looks like it would co-witness the EOtech in the bottom of the lens. Might even allow my cheapie BSA to work until I get the EOT.
TommyB
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Bushmaster Varminter (round free floating handguard without accessory rails) and a Tasco 8-40X56 Tactical Mil-dot, which is huge, and long.  I needed to move it foward for proper eye relief, so I used the standard Bushmaster riser in the rear amd the Bushmaster extension in the front (same height).  However,I do use 3 Leupold PRW 30mm High rings, two mounted on the extension, and the third on the rear riser.  Seems to work REALLY good, with outstanding groups.  Zero hasn't changed yet.....  (I know its a Tasco, but for the price I got it, it will do for now.) Its tough equipping multiple AR's....
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought one to mount a cheap (for YOU, not for me) Tasco ProPoint PDP6 a la scout style on my minimalist 16". It seems sturdy enough and I didn't crank it down very hard.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top