Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2003 8:38:37 PM EDT
Who makes a quality scope that will mount directly to my flat top and give proper eye relief? I have extra high Warne rings.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 5:22:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that is a stupid question [}:D]

You're not going to choose a scope based on the rings you're using, are you?  It should be the other way around.

What type of rifle?

What purpose will the rifle serve?

Daytime only, or daytime / nighttime?

Will you spend as much on a scope as you spent on the rifle?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 6:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The rifle is a Bushmaster A3 20" HBAR. The purpose of the rifle is plinking with some serious yote and chuck shooting mixed in. I don't shoot in any competions. When I purchased the rifle I noticed alot of AR's with scopes but didn't like the mountings. Thanks to the world wide web I discovered Warnes repeatble zero Q.D extra high rings. The scope will be used primarily in the daytime, but also sometimes at twilight. As far as price, I really don't want to spend much more than $300. I just want a quality scope that will work in this set up. I usually buy Leupold, but their entire line is filled with scopes with 4" of eye relief. Thanks for your help. Oh yea 3-9 or 4-12 preferably.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Leupy's being priced the way they are and with your self imposed limit, I would consider a Nikon, B&L 4200 or even a Simmons. Since you have extra tall rings (I don't know why you would, but that's up to you) you can fit any 50mm and larger objective easily.

Check the classifieds at gogovarmintgo. They have scopes on sale all the time:
http://www.varminthunters.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi

Link Posted: 8/22/2003 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The extra tall rings are for the correct line of sight. What type of set up do you have? As for the Leupold, I have compared the Vari X III line to the monarch series and the nikon is brighter. I just don't know if the eye relief is too much for proper cheeck weld. Anybody out there have this same set up?
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#5]
You might have a problem finding a scope that will give you enough eye relief when you are limited to mounting your rings directly on the receiver.  You will be much more comfortable and be able to shoot for longer periods of time if you mount the scope with the proper eye relief.

You will probably need to buy an extended rail so you can mount the scope farther forward than the end of the receiver.  It means that your rings will probably be too high but you are going about the mounting set-up backwards.  You need to start with the proper cheek weld, then set the eye relief, THEN set the correct height of your scope.  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top