Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2003 9:38:37 PM EDT
Is the BSA red dot from wally world a good budget red dot scope? I can't afford a 300 to 400 dollar ACOG or Aimpoint on a student's budget, so the BSA is looking pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 10:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I can only give you my opinion:

You would be much better off using the old iron sights, and saving your pennies. An OKO goes for $199 around here...thats cheapest I would reccommend. Do yourself a favor and save up. Look for something used, like an older aimpoint or OKO if you are anxious. The bottom line...BSA's are for Boy Scouts.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:17:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Look on the EE. You can find OKOs pretty cheap there. I got one for $125.00.

But heck, for $30 bucks I've been tempted to just try it out. If it's junk, take it back to Walmart they have an excellent return policy. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess they could be considered a good budget scope, but they aren't very good. If you never expected to much from it you might like it. I know that I hate the one I have. I would suggeset that if you want one, get it, then save up for something top quality.
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#4]
The BSA Red Dot has functioned flawlessly on my GF's rifle, though admittedly not shot nearly as much as mine with an Aimpoint ML2.

Link Posted: 8/20/2003 1:44:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Kobra Holo sight and I love it.  I also didn't want to spend $300+ for a holo sight especially since this rifle is just for plinking and fun and not for self defense.

I bought the Kobra for around $100 and it works really good.  Only downside is the instructions come in Russian but its not hard to figure out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 5:06:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a BSA / Tasco 42mm Red Dot from E-bay for $20.oo

I first mounted this on my Mossberg 12 gage.  Not one problem. At all... Never let me down.

It then got moved over to the '02 Autococker (paintball marker) and again I have not had any problems.  I have taken two shots, strait to the front lens, and one shoot to the right hand side.  I even stumbled, while hauling ass down a rocky streem bed, I sprained my right elbow.  The marker got away from me, during the fall, and banged the Red Dot.  It has some scratches but is other wise unaffected.  I really like the scope.  I would buy another one.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I posted this about two months ago and it turned into a really good thread (you'll have to do a search, I don't know the link). The title was close to "$30  Walmart BSA or Save My Money".
I did buy one (not on the recomendation of most here).I couldn't even figure out how to mount it on the flattop so that the dot didn't hit in the middle of the front sight post. It will attatch to the carry handle. Never tried to zero it. I thought it would be a cool gimmick to make it more fun for the family. That may prove true for a .22, but I wouldn't do it for an AR.
Tom Bergman
Edited to add: Shooting with the iron sights is plenty cool for my wife and I. I can hit an IPSC target at 200 yards more often than not. I'll take that for now with a Bushy Superlite.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
bought one.  It is entirely too dim for outside shooting in the daytime sun.  If your on a budget, get a tasco propoint.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 7:13:23 AM EDT
[#9]
tberg

Had one lying around and was curious. I have a 4 rail handguard and an A3.  With Bushmaster risers, it will co-witness perfectly, but I could think of other set-ups I prefer...
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]
If it's all you can afford, then that's all you can afford. I have a cheapo Tasco on my AR, and have shot it on my turkey gun with no ill effect. Surely you can decide to save your money and get something better, but that decision is up to you.

Mounting the scope directly on your flattop will have the front sight obstruct the dot. I have a Tapco riser mount which moves the scope up by 3/4" and it clears the sight just fine.

I can show you a picture if you want. For the price, you might as well look on ebay for some chinese knockoffs for around $30. On the other hand, WalMart does have a good return policy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2003 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't already have any risers and am not willing at this time to invest in any for the BSA. Unless I stumble across one really cheap. :)
The irons work pretty well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 4:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I like mine, last year a buddy gave me a scope mount for my .357 SW and I decided to try it. It was alot of fun we put about 200 rounds of 38spc thru it and then I started shooting 357mag and something broke on the inside on round #11.  I boxed it up and shipped it back to BSA and about 3 weeks later I received a Brand new one.  Pretty good customer service. Its now on a .22LR pistol but I would but it back on the AR for fun.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top