Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2003 7:00:03 AM EDT
I have an aimpoint ML2 mounted on my RRA LEGP rifle using the "cheap" (At least that's what I have read) ring mount that came with it on top of the RRA tac-handle. After what I have heard many neg. comments about the stock mounting ring (I wish someone would elaborate about its shortcomings) I am thinking about getting an ARMS #22M68 mount. Will the aimpoint co-witness properly on the tac handle? If not what are my options e.g. remove tac handle and buy ARMS #40 BUIS etc. etc.
TIA
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it will co-witness nicely.  The tac handle is just the right height.  Your iron sights will line up in the bottom half of the aimpoint.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Just my .02 as I don't have a [b]clue[/b] as to whether the stock ring is good or bad, but here's a thought:
If you haven't/aren't having any troubles with that mount....why switch? [;)]

I personally have a 22M68 coming with mine, but that is because it was part of the package and I like the throw lever for quick release rather than the knurled knob.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#4]
$1-200 scope rings seem silly to most people in the beginning.  But you're paying for durability, accuracy and repeatability.  Most good Aimpoint type rings have quick detach systems that permit return to zero even after being removed.  You'll also see tougher, thicker metals used and probably more robust screws and mounting hardware.  

Will the average weekend warrior abuse a weapon to the point of damaging a "cheaper" mount?  Probably not.  But many are willing to pay for military grade durability and accuracy.  Its your standard "you get what you pay for...what are you willing to spend?" dilemma.  I've got a muscle car in the garage and music gear collection in the office that seem to bug me the same!  Add the justification of "what's your life worth?" and it just gets ridiculous!

I think quality mounts are even more important to getting the best performance out of magnified optics, but that ML2 deserves the best too.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 3:49:27 PM EDT
[#5]
So what about the tac mount on my RRA M4 Tac Entry LE rifle............will I be able to use the stock sights (night sights) as backup sights and be able to see the sights through an Aimpoint?

I have heard that the tac mount will work perfectly and I have also heard the tac mount wont work.

I would rather NOT replace the sights nor the stock tac mount. But if I cant use the tac mount/handle with an optic sight and be able to use the stock sights as BUIS, then I guess I have to start saving up.

Does anyone know for sure if the stock RRA tactical mount/handle can be used when an optic is mounted and still be able to see/use the stock sights?

Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:00:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, it will co-witness nicely.  The tac handle is just the right height.  Your iron sights will line up in the bottom half of the aimpoint.
View Quote

FALSE!!!

The only ring that will allow co-witnessing on the Tac Handle is the aluminum ring he already has.  The (much better) ARMS mount is too tall for the Tac Handle.

And, yes, your best bet is to ditch the Tac Handle and mount with an ARMS #22M68 with cantilever spacer and an ARMS #40 rear.

-Troy
View Quote

Troy is correct.  I checked the RRA website and the tac handle is 1" high.  I thought it was 1/2".  That makes it too tall for the ARMS 22m68.  Sorry for the misinformation.

Max.
Link Posted: 8/11/2003 7:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a RRA Tactical Entry with an ML2.  Here's mine.

[URL]http://home.comcast.net/~mgmayo/images/tempimages/Aimpoint_a.jpg[/URL]

You can get the mount from Brownells. $15
[URL]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=17463[/URL]

Link Posted: 8/19/2003 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

And, yes, your best bet is to ditch the Tac Handle and mount with an ARMS #22M68 with cantilever spacer and an ARMS #40 rear.

-Troy
View Quote

Can you give me the arms number to the "cantilever" mount you are refering to.
Thanks,
L.P.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 2:45:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 3:01:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The spacer Troy showed doesnt actually have a commonly used number. ARMS lists "Half Spacer," "Full Spacer," and "Extended Spacer."

They are starting to be listed with other companies for sale, but MSTN had them first, and thats where you SHOULD spend your money.  Ive said it before, you may save $3 bucks but you are NOT going to find the level of knowledge and customer service anywhere else than at MSTN.  They are the real deal, selling the real deal toys.

My 22M68 Extended and ARMS40.  The perfect Aimpoint setup IMHO:

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=24926&iGalleryUnq=235&iImageUnq=12668[/img]

My 2nd runner up mount would be the KAC Foward Offset mount, but with the ARMS40 still.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top