Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2003 4:17:22 PM EDT
Is the sights sited right out of the box? And if so, what distance? I am completely clueless on the adjustments and such, even after reading on how to sight it in...

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Negative, right out of the box they will be at a mechanical zero, meaning they are set at the exact middle, so you'll need to go out and zero in your rifle.  There are a few methods, and I'm sure Forest will be along any second with a link to the Maryland Shooters page with all the different kinds. [:D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:08:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 10:09:20 PM EDT
[#3]
My RRA DCM rifle was sighted within 2inches at 100yds.

As far as sighting it in (military way USARMY REALIZE this will have you aiming low for everything but 300meters if you want this to be a little less magnified you can dropp your front post one click once you are zeroed [make sure you move the opposite of "UP"])

1 Rotate the rear sight elevation knob till the rear sight comes down and stops touching the upper.

2Now rotate the knob in the "UP" direction (clockwise) till 6/3 lines up with the tick on the left side of the handle centered on the elevation knob and above the knob.

3 now move the elevation knob one click clockwise ("UP")

4 (DON'T TOUCH THAT KNOB AGAIN TILL LATER)

5 now at a 25M known distance range fire a 3 shot group

6 move the rear windage (right side knob) in the direction you want the bullet to go on paper (I think Right should be labeled with an arrow)

7 Elevation is controlled with the front sight post (this is also labeled "UP" on the post with an arrow.  Zero the elevation.

8 fire a three shot group (fine tune the ajustments

9 when the rifle is zeroed at 25 M simply turn the elevation knob down 1 click to 6/3 and you should be zeroed for 0-300M (meaning your rifle will shoot about 6-8inches high at 100M and slightly high out to 250M it should be near dead on at 300meters.

[b]Realize that this is for military use where a wound is OK- for clean kills on game I reccomend a simple 2-3in high zero at 100yds which will put you 3-5inches low at 300yds and nearly dead nuts everywhere in between. but the rear sight BDC won't work quite right (but who uses it anyway?) [/b]

It is surpriseing but the Army method works after you realize you need to shoot low at most everything but I really dislike the hold under when I could just hold ON for 0-250M and over for 300.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 12:58:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Another noob question, what is the difference in the large hole and small hole, sorry for using the wrong terminology. And what does 6/3, 4, 5 and etc. really mean?

I appreciate the help, I'm probably taking something simple and making it incredibly difficult for myself!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks again Troy! That was sorta what I thought!
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW - I wouldn't use the 0-200m aperature unless you're shooting at really close targets, like in a building or in a very dense forest etc.

It very well could have been me but last time out in the forest shooting I had it on the 0-200 and shot 5 shots at about a 6 inch wide tree from about 25m and I completely missed twice and another two just barely skimmed it. Not very precise at all.... Maybe some of you guys have better results with it...
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top