Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/29/2003 2:39:21 PM EDT
What do they stand for and the differences in them?  I know RIS  = Rail integrated System?
RAS?  SPR? I read it DOES NOT mean Special Purpose Rifle.  So what is it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Rail Interface System, Rail Adapter System, Free Floating, thought SPR meant just that..now I dunno.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
RAS = Rail Adapter System
FF RAS = Free Floating Rail Adapter System
RAS II = FF RAS that attaches to front part of flattop rail instead of barrel nut.

SPR does stand for Special Purpose Rifle.  Based on the M16.  There are two versions of the SPR.  Both have FF handguards.  Mk12 Mod 0 has a carbon fiber handguard and the Mk12 Mod1 has a Knight's aluminum handguard with integral rails.  (According to Jane's Military Small Arms and American Rifleman)

Go here for more info on the KAC equipment:

[url]http://www.quarterbore.com/kac/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
SPR ( does mean spec. purpose rifle ) and have been type classified by the Navy Dept. at Crane as the MK-O and Mk-1. RIS-rail interface system, RAS-rail adaptor system, FF RAS- free float RAS, RAS-2- free float and grabs one nothch on receiver, SIR- selective intergrated rail.
Jack
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
SPR? I read it DOES NOT mean Special Purpose Rifle.  So what is it?
View Quote

There are still some who insist that "SPR= Special Purpose Receiver", which it was originally. "Receiver" changed to "Rifle" when the "Special Purpose" application spread to other types of rifles, such as the Rem 700, ect.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top