Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2003 9:36:24 PM EDT
Has anyone compared US Optics S/N 4 to the ACOG system?
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 9:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Excellent system, the 1x circle dot is very fast to pick up and the reticle is battery powered.  the ability to go 4x at the turn of the knob is a big plus for mid to long distance engagement.  the scope is solid and it can take a tank to destory it.  but if you compare it to the ACOG Ta31 series, I think the ACOG beats it in price, weight, compactness and performance.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one mounted on my Bushmaster.  I think the optics are about the best for a Rapid Response sight bar none.  It is going to be one of the most expensive optical systems out there, but performance-wise, I have found it hard to beat.

I've had a few people T&E the SN-4, and all of them preferred it to the ACOG once they had some real hands on time with it.

It is a bit bigger and heavier than ACOG, but I think it's worth the trade-off.
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:10:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I've played with one and have tinkered with the notion of getting one... But the ACOG always seems to win out. I could stand to pay $1300, maybe $1400 for one, but there's NO way I'd pay $1700.

Price aside, it's a great rig. I'd love to have one, minus the crazy $$$.

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Has anyone compared US Optics S/N 4 to the ACOG system?
View Quote

Do a serch for old threads
PP out
Link Posted: 6/10/2003 11:54:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've played with one and have tinkered with the notion of getting one... But the ACOG always seems to win out. I could stand to pay $1300, maybe $1400 for one, but there's NO way I'd pay $1700.

Price aside, it's a great rig. I'd love to have one, minus the crazy $$$.

-Cap'n
View Quote

I have one.  I went to US Optics in person and spent some time with them.  I was actually there to buy an ST-10 10 power for my HK-91.  In passing, I saw the SN-4 and I new resistance would be futile.  I walked out of there with both scopes that day.

I think they were exceptionally kind to me because I think I paid less than $1,300 for the SN-4 including a Picatinny mount and rings which he threw in for free.  They are a bunch of nice folks an US Optics.  You'll never hear me say anything bad about them.

Now that I've had mine for awhile, the ACOGs I've played with seem like toys almost.  You could drive nails with an SN-4.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:31:38 AM EDT
[#6]
traded my trijicon for a new sn-4 what a deal. the optics are great and the scope is bullet proof. mine has the doe range finding reticle and came with a posi lock mount. plan on mounting it in an arms qd . the trijicon is okay but if you have handled both they dont even compare.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#7]
US Optic SN4 is a good scope, and if you compare to a regular ACOG Ta01, there is actually no comparson.  but outting the SN$ against a TA31 or TA11, the SN4 fall short in many aspects.  Yes I have to agree the SN4 has a superior optic clarity, but if you can use a TA31 you will be able to hit targets much faster then using a SN4.  The BAC system on the ACOG will allow shot from CQB to 300+ yards in a blink where as the SN4 will have to dial up the power range or stick to 1x to make a 200 yard shot.  the circle is the best reticle offer by US optic but it is a day scope at its best, even using the illuminated reticle it can be picked up as fast as a BAC donut or triangle reticle.  of course there is the weight and the bulk, ACOG is much lighter and compact, and it is as rugged as any abuse you can dish out.  

Of course I am stating all this from experience and facts, I used a SN4 for an entire week at a carbine class mounted to an AUG, it was sweet and the cool factor was ten fold, but for  the money, i would be just as happy with a TA11 on it and save the money to buy more ammo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I gotta agree with SMGLee. The SN-4 is a hell of an optic don't get me wrong. However you get the BAC in a TA31 working for you and you are in there like Swimwear. If Trijicon ever comes out with an adjustable power say 1 to 4 power ACOG they will have the holy grail of combat optics. USO is good but $1400 is just mad cash. ACOGS are plenty durable and combat proven over and over again. For half the price go with a TA31.

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 4:21:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I am staying out of this one except to say a variable acog definitely would be handier.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#10]
What about the more forgiving eye relief of the SN 4 and the adjustible eyepiece to compensate for non-20/20 vision.  The ACOG can't compete in that depatment.  How about the windage and elevation knobs that can be actually adjusted without tools and also the BDC cam.  How about the greater field of view at 1X then even an aimpoint.  It just seems more versatile then an ACOG or any reddot.  Not to mention the 80 year no hassle warranty and no worries about tritium decay or ambient light conditions.  Don't get me wrong I think the ACOG is great but the SN4 just seems better.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Stoner4me,

it seems , from your posts , you're almost new in this forum , please do a serch about the USO products and check the various opinions, 99% of them saying the same .

I have had 4 USO scopes , sold two of them and the other two are sitting ducks in my safe , BTW they are for sale if you're interested in.....

I understand very well your enthusiasm , it is as mine when I got my first USO , but believe me unfortunately the do not worth the while , absolutely.

PP out
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 3:52:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What about the more forgiving eye relief of the SN 4 and the adjustible eyepiece to compensate for non-20/20 vision.  The ACOG can't compete in that depatment.  How about the windage and elevation knobs that can be actually adjusted without tools and also the BDC cam.  How about the greater field of view at 1X then even an aimpoint.  It just seems more versatile then an ACOG or any reddot.  Not to mention the 80 year no hassle warranty and no worries about tritium decay or ambient light conditions.  Don't get me wrong I think the ACOG is great but the SN4 just seems better.
View Quote

You were the one that asked for comparisons, but now it seems like you already have an opinion which is pretty clear to me at this point.  

Listen-- I own an SN-4, have nothing bad to say about it, but it's always good to hear different viewpoints.  To each his own, and whatever works.

Me? I have an SN-4, but am also going to have other optics options in my arsenal also.  AT some point, I fully expect to have an ACOG also.  Then I'll be my own judge of which system I prefer.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Stoner,

All that adjustment means all that adjustments that can go wrong on a rifle that could be handled ruoghly.  I know th eSN4 is bullet proof, but nothing is bullet proof when it comes to knobs going out of adjustment.

On a fighting rifle, you should always correct your vision instead of using the optic to compensate.  on a rnage rifle, this is fine, but in action, I rather have a better vision to all my surrounding then blur vision and a perfectly foucsed scope.

I don't understand the greater FOV then Aimpoint statement, Aimpoint is to be shot with both eyes open, the dot becomes superimposed onto the target, the field of view is limited only by your vision.  

80 year warrenty, but have you talked to someone whom had to turn their scope in for service.  try Pinco, he will tell you some story.

I think you already made up your mind like Bob have stated above.  go for the SN4, you really can't go wrong with either scope.  I just find the TA11 or the TA31 a better choice.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#14]
a bud of mine brought his new SN4 over 2 days ago to compare to my TA01NSN just for kicks.  the NSN had a wider field of view at the same magnification (4x) than the SN4.  of course the SN4 has a wider field of view at 1x - that's stating the obvious.  but the object of the comparison is to compare the field of view at the same magnification.
another surprising thing (to both of us) - the NSN had better resolution.  i could not adjust the SN4 eyepiece to be as clear as the NSN.  it was close, but i could definitely notice the difference - the NSN was sharper.  even if he did not notice the difference as much as i did, we did agree that the clarity, light gathering, and resolution of the NSN was AT LEAST as good as the SN4.  and the NSN isn't even the top of the line ACOG.
as for weight, price, size, bulkiness, reticle, features - that's all personal preference and not what i'm comparing here :-)

cheers,
MM
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top