Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/15/2003 5:52:53 PM EDT
Just got a used TA31A - good shape, except there are a bunch of small cracks in the top of the clear "plastic tube" which houses the fiber optic. Doesn't look like they are from from being dropped or hit, they are spead out along the top and look more like something from fatigue or from exposure. Some go almost 1/2 through the tube, when they do I figure they will cut the fiber optic (bad). Has anyone seen this before and have had it fixed? It should be covered under warranty, can they send you a new tube (looks like it secures with a roll pin)? I figure sending it in for repair will be a several months wait for repair. Does this just happed in older units and should I ignore it? The 31's are hard enough to find used, but I did have to pay almost a new price for it. Rest of it is in great shape. Any advice? Thanks for any help
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 7:45:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I just sent my TA01 ACOG back for repairs (the adjustment knobs were reversed...the knob to change elevation was on the side and the windage adjustment was on top.  The top knob did change elevation and the side knob did change windage, but I wanted them changed in case I ever decide to sell it).  When I called them, they said it would be a couple of day turn around.  It arrived on May 13 so it should be sent back to me early next week.  I just emailed them to find out when it would be returned.  Your scope doesn't sound like it would take much to repair it so it shouldn't take too long.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Seen it several times and read a few people who returned for replacement. As I recall, the little cracks will not effect function of the optic whatsoever. But I recall Trijicon did replace all the ones that people sent in to have changed. I dont recall them taking  long time either.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I have also noticed the small cracks that you mention on one of my compacts. It seems they're only cosmetic, and don't make any difference. I wouldn't bother sending it back; if the scope works then keep it. If it bothers you then contact trijicon and see what they say. They have great customer service. When I sent my ACOG in for repair I got it back in about a week.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#4]
kavik,
 did you get this from Ebay?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Cracks in the plastic shell around the fiber optics have been reported several times now and I am starting to see some on my own personal ACOG I purchased new.

Having said that, they are purely cosmetic and haven't affected function at all yet; but so far Trijicon has replaced all of them that were sent back for repair.

I don't plan on replacing mine so I'll be a test subject to see if not fixing the cracks causes problems down the road.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought my TA31 new and out of the box it also has the small cracks on the plastic that houses the fiber optic.   I does not seems to affect the operation of the AGOG, purely a cosmetic issue, but they should not be there for an optic that costs as much as it does.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top