Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2003 9:25:05 AM EDT
Ok guys, here's the deal. I have a colt m4 carbine. Had the removable carry handle, but I want to leave it on for reliability of the iron sights. However, I am wanting to put a night vision scope on it. I am looking for a small compact model that will be clear and have some good magnification for no more than 100-150 yard shots. I looked at some,(don't remember the brand)and really liked the upper end gen3's and gen4's. Very expensive though. Would a generation 1 or 2 scope be good enough for the situation I described here? I know, you get what you pay for, especially with the night vision stuff. Anyone with good info on night vision scopes, please reply. Thx
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Gen 1 US or Russian, Crap.
Gen 2 Russian, Crap.
Gen 2 US, Can be decent, look for high RESOLUTION not just light gain. Has a shorter life than Gen 3 stuff.
Gen 3 US, very good. I would look for manual controls, personal pref.

Also consider getting a IR illuminator.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can afford NV and want a carry handle go buy a A2 upper reciever and have it installed.  Drop the .4 to .5 lbs off your rifle before adding a scope.  Why dont you want an ARMS 40?  I hope you plan on spending at least a couple grand on the NV and make it Gen 2+ or better.  Gen 3 is better in tube life and is better in VERY low light but is nearly identical in use to Gen 3 other than that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 4:44:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't even know what an ARMS 40 is. That's why I'm asking.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 6:55:00 AM EDT
[#4]
What are you trying to hit at 100-150 yards in the dark?  The ARMS 40 is a spring loaded folding rear sight that will allow the use of the rail on your receiver and thus reduce optic height to a reasonable level.  Why do you need magnification?  A head mounted NV monocular and an IR aiming laser is less expensive and much more versatile if all you need is 200 yard and under ability.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top