Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2002 6:50:48 PM EDT
Well, I've gotten the Weaver Tactical and Armalite one-peice mount for the Varminter and am now ready to assemble.  I've readabout the Epoxy method of scope mounting read on this site:  

http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/scopebedding.html

Is this a good way to go?  I also don't have access to a bench vice and was wondering if there is a way around this.

Another thing:  To get the crosshairs perfectly horizontal, should I place the mount on a table and adjust the alignnment while attaching the scope to the mount before attaching the mount to the rifle?  Will any or all of this work?
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Armalite makes a damned good mount, so no scope bedding will be needed (in fact, I've never seen an occurrance where it was).
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Zardoz - thanks for the quick reply.  I'm glad I don't have to slop JB weld on my beautiful scope and mount.

Another question I meant to ask in the original post: Is there a way to mount the scope without marking the scope too severely?  The mount and scope look great, but it looks like tightening down the ring fasteners could ruin the finish.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#3]
To tell the truth, about all you can do is be careful while tightening down the rings. I level the recticle by letting the rifle rest on its' empty mag well, sitting on a table that's KNOWN to be level, and pretty much just eye-balling it; then snugging the rings just enough to hold it still, and checking eye relief, level, etc. Once I have it set where it needs to be, I'll go ahead and tighten down the rings, criss-crossing to get equal pressure. As long as you install the scope to the mount with some care, you shouldn't have any problems. Hope this helps you out some.......
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 10:47:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again, Zardoz.  Using a level table seems a good way to go.  Hopefully this will be the final question:

How much do you tighten down each ring fastener?  I've been told on this board that a good rule of thumb is to finger tighten first, then turn another 90 degrees.  I'm not sure how I can do this on the Armalite one-piece mount since there are four of them per ring and they sink in to their holes when being tightened.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#5]
All I've ever done is tighten them all down about the same, in the same sort of criss-cross pattern used when installing a cylinder head on an engine; This way, the ring cap will also stay pretty much "level" with the mount. Hell, it works for me, and I've never had a problem. DO, hewever, use blue locktite on the ring screws to keep them from loosening.

Sorry for the delay in answering; I always seem to come here right before I have to leave for work for some reason. (I think maybe it's to give me a good reason for makin' the $ [;)])
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks a ton for all the great info, Zardoz.  I think that's all the questions I have for now.  Going to mount the scope Saturday and hope to be on the range by Sunday.  

D
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top