Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2002 9:59:15 AM EDT
Anybody have much experience with the Reflex or Reflex II?  What are the differences?  I know one looks a lot more rugged.  I think it's the Reflex I but not sure.  Everything I look up on them has the pictures or names switched around so I can't tell.

I'm looking to put one on a CQB gun for SWAT use.  I'm looking at this or the EOTech 550 or 552.  I like the EOTechs but really like the fact that the Reflex doesn't use batteries and that it adjusts itself in varying light conditions.  If the EOTech would adjust itself I'd probably go with it.  I also like the reticle offered for the Reflex.

Mostly looking for any downside to the Reflex.  It just looks like a real solid system to me.  Would appreciate input from anyone with experience.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:07:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Dimensionally, they're the same.
The Reflex II was an improvement on some of the deficiencies with the original Reflex.  They added a different front lens and coating, and offered different dot/triangle sizes.  The original Reflex mounts and covers will work with the Reflex II.

I have an older Reflex that I really like, but the 12moa traingle is really neat, because it's big for CQB but has a fine point (top of triangle) for longer/more precise work.

They still have problems with limited brightness and "washing out" in bright light.

The improvements in electronics for battery-powered units (high battery life) like the Eotech or the Aimpoint have diluted the Reflex's strengths.  Both beat the Reflex in a variety of features, but I still like the simplicity of my Reflex.
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 10:08:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, just read a previous post put up while I was typing mine.  Pretty much answered my questions.  Looks like the EOTech for me.

Unless...Anybody know much about the TX30?  
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 10:10:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Having trained using both battery-operated dot optics and tritium/fiber optic units for CQB work, the battery operated are better for SWAT ops.  The reticle in the tritium/fiber optic unit washes out when using a strong weaponlight indoors, whereas the battery uit can be adjusted to compensate.  This is why Trijicon is coming out with the Tri-Power, to cover all bases.

Having said that, the Reflex is superior for all other shooting not involving weaponlights indoors, esp with the 12.5 MOA amber triangle.  It offers more precision than the red dot units, esp past 100 yards.  It needs no brightness adjustment in any light conditions, excepting again in strong light at close range.

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Trijicon has a polarizing filter to cure the weapons light problem.  Item #RX-20, lists for $14.00.  It is adjustable to reduce the effect of the weapon light from 22-99%, just by turning the lens 90 deg.  Check it out.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The filter makes an already dark optic even darker.  Get the Eotech.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The filter makes an already dark optic even darker, and it is a pretty half-assed solution.  Get the Eotech.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The filter makes an already dark optic even darker, and it is a pretty half-assed solution.  Get the Eotech.

I agree.  It causes the optic to be very dark.  You MUST both eyes open in the manner of the O.E.G. sight, which is a very difficult and imprecise optic for those with less than 20/20 vision, stigmatisms and cross-dominace issues.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top