Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2002 5:07:08 AM EDT
I am new to red dots and am on a budget.   Has anyone had any experience with Kalinka.   I liked the concept of this one http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/cgi-local/kowstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=GST2URDW
primarily because it is a red dot and offers 1x-2.5x magnification as well.

The Kobras are interesting as well & seem to be a viable and lesser expensive option, despite the fact that no magnification is possible.

Please give me your thoughts on both of these.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for answering.    As I said earlier, I'm am new to the concept of scopes, but can't I mount a weaver rail to the top of my carry handle and mount the red-dot to that?

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:13:48 AM EDT
[#3]
There are two different models of Kobra that are made for the ar, one has a throw lever weaver mount and the other has a thumbscrew weaver mount. Both are available from Kalinka.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 6:06:04 AM EDT
[#4]
The Kobra has a blue tinted glass so in low light it is hard to see through.  It is not waterproof so if you drop it in a large puddle its fried.  I managed to break my power switch by dropping my rifle 3 feet onto grass.  The adjustments to zero it in are very difficult to use and dont track well so zero it and leave it alone.  Its big and heavy and has mediocre battery life.Its not night vision compatable.  It will not co-witness with your irons.

Other than that it survives recoil, holds its zero reasonably well and has a small enough dot to allow as precise of a shot as you can make with a dot optic.  Also it does not have a blurry reticle or starburst effect like some other dot sights.

Its a basic low-end dot sight for a basic low-end price.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for that review.   That's exactly the kind of information that I was looking for.  

Now if someone could tell me something about the Taiga 2U .

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 5:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I'm familar with RED DOTS....
Ya can usually find them working in convience stores, or running motels.  You usually smell a strong oder of Camel Shit before ya see them. I think the I>N>S> puts that RED DOT on their foreheads when they enter the country so we have a place to aim for, ( cant figger why they didn't go with Floresent Orange Glow paint).These Carpet Riders are like horse shit, (everywhere). I stayed at a motel in Va. at a Bass tournament called "The Rebel Motel, figgered dont get any better than this, who is owner / operator, You guessed it, RED DOT Si- HEBE. Blew my friggn mind. Slept in the dam truck, should be illegal in all southern states.AND, oh yeah, the KALINKA part, why that there is the sound a .45 ACP makes when ya chamber a round in the Red Dot Motel Lobby....   KAA--LINK---AAA    
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeee-har... friggen redneck.

Anyhow, the Taiga 2s were reported to have some problems with the mounts. Specifically, the flat top rail mount was sout of spec, and the carry handle was too high. You'll find details at one of Kevin's links.
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 9:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
cheap-ass red dot...  

http://www.bsaoptics.com/productdetail.asp?ID=357&Prod_Code=RD30

i have one on my ak.  perfect plinking red dot for a <$300 plinking rifle.

Link Posted: 11/9/2002 3:30:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you so much for those links, Kevin.   Without the search feature, you did for me what I can't do for myself.

Sounds like people are generally happy with the Taiga.    Two questions;

- Are you able to use it with both eyes open?

- Did the group purchase ever go through?  Do you have the link to it?

Gackman, I have been looking at the BSA's & they look are sure within my price range.  The thing about the Taiga that attracts me is the 1x-2.5x magnification available.   That isn't offered in many red dots.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
777 - If your not specifically interested in a Russian scope, why not just buy a TASCO Pro-point and be done with it.  CDNN has the PDP2 for $59, and the excellent PDP3(in silver) for $79.  I would take it that these are in your price range and are far superior to the Russian optics.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 5:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is another Red Dot you might want to consider. It is the Millett SP-2. I got mine from impact guns for $79.00 plus $8.00 for shipping. I put one on my AR and it is great. Unlike most inexpensive Red Dot sights, this one is parallax-free just like the expensive Aimpoint M2, and you can use it with both eyes open. It is also shockproof and fogproof, and comes with mounting rings, and batteries.My two shooting buddies were very skeptical about it, but after they shot my AR, they wanted one too.
The Millett SP-2 is the best red dot sight in that price range IMHO. If you buy one, you will be glad you did. Here is the web address:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/millett_sp2_red_dot.html

Link Posted: 11/10/2002 1:57:29 AM EDT
[#13]
i was looking at the pictures on the Kalinka page and it looks like - I don't know for sure - that the sight must be totally removed in order to change the battery.  

If that is the case that would DQ the product for me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 12:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks, guys.

The Tasco, Millett & BSA's started my interest in inexpensive red-dots.   They are all still in the running as far as I'm concerned.  

However the Kalinka has that very attractive feature of magnification.   It's a red-dot & a scope all in one!   Seems that people who have them say that they are good quality.   Now if I can just figure out if you can keep both eyes open while in the no magnification setting, I'll be all over it.    Waiting now for a return e-mail from Kalinka.

Thanks again guys.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top