BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Magazines are an interesting currency among gun owners. Having a stash is like having gun-crypto. Each one is a $20 bill under certain circumstances.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Magazines are an interesting currency among gun owners. Having a stash is like having gun-crypto. Each one is a $20 bill under certain circumstances.
View Quote

Crypto goes up in value. Magazines? Not so much. There's plenty of magazines in circulation now compared to pre-ban and even initial post ban/Obama era. I had plenty of friends reach out to me needing magazines for new rifles they purchased and I had plenty to sell. And no, I did not rip them off.

Now AMMO is more like crypto. Has gone up exponentially and continues to be higher priced. Ammo is far more in demand than magazines.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:30:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Crypto goes up in value. Magazines? Not so much. There's plenty of magazines in circulation now compared to pre-ban and even initial post ban/Obama era. I had plenty of friends reach out to me needing magazines for new rifles they purchased and I had plenty to sell. And no, I did not rip them off.

Now AMMO is more like crypto. Has gone up exponentially and continues to be higher priced. Ammo is far more in demand than magazines.
View Quote

Some crypto goes up in value, some does not. Depending on the type of magazine they also go up in value-several AK types come to mind right off the bat.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:42:02 PM EDT
[#4]
There are a few things in life that you can't have too much of ...

Water
Food
Money
Ammo
Mags

(Notice that all of these items are consumables).
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 4:51:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Water
Food
Money
Ammo
Mags

View Quote

I've got mags from the 80's and probably the 70's that still work good as new.

Pee can be turned back into consumable water.

Food like fruits and vegetables have seeds to regrow them. Food that are animals can be kept for raising more food.

Money can be invested and turned into more money.

Ammo like brass cased can be reutilized and doubled, even tripled.

Buy as many as you want, if some are okay with what they've got then that too is very much okay as well
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Water
Food
Money
Ammo
Mags

View Quote

Magazines are not consumables, at least to most people. They will wear out and require replacement eventually, but in that sense your rifle-or at least its component parts-is a consumable too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Magazines are not consumables, at least to most people. They will wear out and require replacement eventually, but in that sense your rifle-or at least its component parts-is a consumable too.
View Quote

I agree that quality magazines do not normally fail due to wear (I have some I have been using since the 1980s).  However, they do get lost when "moving and shooting" (even on a one way range like a Run & Gun).
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
In four decades of AR15 usage I have only had a couple of quality magazines (I semi randomly define "quality" as Adventureline / NTGHM / OKAY USGI or ....... maybe ....... Gen 3 PMAGs) fail due to wear.  The wear on those mags was a result of class use where they were dropped repeatedly, and even stepped on.  Normal range use wear?  Never a failure outside of a couple of magazine springs on HIGH round count mags.

I have lost more than I care to admit over those same 38 years while completing Huff & Puff, Rattle Battle, Run & Gun events, etc.  Cross a stream and fall in or jumping wall / fences with that "tactically reloaded mag" stuffed in a cargo pocket .... POOF ... gone.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a gear problem and not a magazine problem.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 3:56:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I paid $125 for G-21 mags during the ban. Never again did I assume 3 mags was enough for my CCW
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, gear caused a magazine problem ... as in ... they disappeared and now I have none.

Mags get lost when you actually move around and shoot under pressure. They also get trampled on during classes. This makes them a consumable.  (Not everyone shoots their rifle from a static bench).

ETA: if this wasn't the case the military wouldn't need to buy more of them since they are apparently indestructible. We'd still have 70's vintage 30 round Adventure Line mags on the front lines
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I paid $125 for G-21 mags during the ban. Never again did I assume 3 mags was enough for my CCW
View Quote

Right after the '94 ban went active I was paying $75+ for used handgun mags.  Adjusted for inflation that equals $140 in today's money.

Buy them while they're cheap and plentiful.  They might not always be so.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No, gear caused a magazine problem ... as in ... they disappeared and now I have none.

Mags get lost when you actually move around and shoot under pressure. They also get trampled on during classes. This makes them a consumable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mags get lost when you actually move around and shoot under pressure. They also get trampled on during classes. This makes them a consumable.

Wrong again, your gear failed you to the point you lost magazines. Or got trampled from a a lack of a dump pouch pouch; BTDT too, mags were never put in a position to be on the ground.

Having done some of those things, and still have mags, I'm calling your story as narrative and not the actual norm.

But hey, if you have a reason because you refuse to admit that your lifestyle and worn out or horrible gear is the problem, then that's on you. Please stop trying to superimpose, your situation is unique and not the norm for most people, an outlier actually.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Mags get lost when you actually move around and shoot under pressure. They also get trampled on during classes. This makes them a consumable.  (Not everyone shoots their rifle from a static bench).

ETA: if this wasn't the case the military wouldn't need to buy more of them since they are apparently indestructible. We'd still have 70's vintage 30 round Adventure Line mags on the front lines
View Quote

The military does not consider magazines to be consumable. You may be confused about stores account codes.

If people's propensity to lose equipment made that equipment consumable, everything would be considered consumable.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, if magazines were consumables then basically every gun component could arguably be said to be a consumable by the same reasoning. They all break/wear until useless eventually, with a lot of use.
Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:20:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Responding to your edit, the rest was already handled:

You're seriously trying to compare your logistics issue that you've been superimposing into us because of a problem that's only specific to your lone outlier that most will never encounter, with an appeal to authority that has zero correlations to this argument?

You're not supposed to use fallacies in discussions, you really should stop

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 9:28:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We'd still have 70's vintage 30 round Adventure Line mags on the front lines
View Quote

Some do....

Attachment Attached File

Pic originally posted here by Combat_Diver.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 7:16:11 AM EDT
[#18]
For those that want to outfit your militias or buying because you keep losing them or because it's compulsive, here's more on the cheap: $4.99 each.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#19]
I was supposed to stop? Seriously, I want to get to a certain level, that is when I cannot accurately tote up in my mind how many magazines I have. When I have no idea how many I have, I'm done.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Some do....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/IMG_7152_jpg-2182622_jpeg_jpg-2229834.JPG

View Quote

picatinny with no panels or a vpg? brave.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:12:32 AM EDT
[#21]
One word. Biden.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
One word. Biden.
View Quote

Why? Isn't over a 100 enough? Even owning one pisses them all off.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 12:36:05 AM EDT
[#24]

Not trying to take away and fuck those guys fucking with you all, but what does this have to do with buying magazines perpetually forever and ever to infinity and beyond if we're at a point where we feel that've we've got enough for ourselves?

Compulsiveness? Flipping? You want to outfit your entire neighborhood/town/county/state/country's militia on your own dime? Or can we settle this once and for all for anyone who's comfortable with their mag numbers and doesn't plan to outfit a militia and isn't going flip them?
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#25]
I know it's dumb, but I also came of age when I couldn't find mags because of the AWB, so I compulsively buy.  Usually one or two here and there when I'm buying something else and it doesn't add but $10-20 to my order.

My take is that, despite me continuing to buy, it's dumb to have more than I'd be content to have for personal use if tomorrow I couldn't buy any more.

Also agree with ammo and reloading components being more critical.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 1:54:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Some do....

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/416992/IMG_7152_jpg-2182622_jpeg_jpg-2229834.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We'd still have 70's vintage 30 round Adventure Line mags on the front lines

Some do....

That is cool.
Link Posted: 1/23/2022 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I'd call it a day at 100 magazines. They last a long time and in the event that new stock disappeared indefinitely, you'd have enough for yourself, your family, and your neighbors.

Buy as many as you want but there's no plausible/survivable scenario in which you'd exhaust 100 magazines. Buy more ammo and shoot more.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#28]
They may become a form of currency after society collapses...but their value probably won't be as high as ammo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 10:47:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some do....

That’s how the vast majority of rifles look in the Army. After the early 2000s when the KAC rails were first issued, no one really bothered with panels anymore. They added thickness to the handguard, and since everyone wears gloves, the heat isn’t an issue, and the rails are very “grippy.”

Vertical grips, handstops, etc. are more common than panels, but not everyone uses them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 6:25:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been focusing on other than AR and AK mags . I've got a pretty good stash of them. I've been buying handgun mags and other rifle mags.I just bought 3 extra mags for my Ruger American in .308 and 4 more for my 350 Legend.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
If you have them for personal use I wouldn’t bother, those will last several lifetimes.

I’d focus on other stuff like replacement parts.
View Quote

Yep....it's all fun and games till you break a firing pin, or bust an extractor.......
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've been focusing on other than AR and AK mags . I've got a pretty good stash of them. I've been buying handgun mags and other rifle mags.I just bought 3 extra mags for my Ruger American in .308 and 4 more for my 350 Legend.
View Quote

They can be hard to stock up on when some of them cost 4X what an AR mag does.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After what those slime balls in Washington state have done, what use will a hundred cheap AR15 magazines do when you're forever short on pistol magazines? Nothing.

Do what you can, when you can. I've got all of the my Sig, HK, Glock, and 1911 magazines taken care of.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:29:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Everyone has their own idea about this but I see no point in stockpiling mags unless you shoot 50k+/ year and are wearing em out. I shoot around 25k/ year so usually keep around 20-30 mags on hand.

Maybe something like - However much ammo you have and how many mags would wear out with said ammo.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

After what those slime balls in Washington state have done, what use will a hundred cheap AR15 magazines do when you're forever short on pistol magazines? Nothing.

Do what you can, when you can. I've got all of the my Sig, HK, Glock, and 1911 magazines taken care of.
View Quote

Oh I completely agree. I'm actually buying mags for pistols I plan to buy but don't have yet-Beretta, and if I could ever find any that aren't $40, BHP mags.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Oh I completely agree. I'm actually buying mags for pistols I plan to buy but don't have yet-Beretta, and if I could ever find any that aren't $40, BHP mags.
View Quote

The standard capacity magazines was my long game. Now that that's been settled with numbers comfortable to me, I can do the short game and stock on the mags that are under that are not in the infamous set number of ten, like Mustang 380 6 round and the S&W Shield 7 round magazines.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The standard capacity magazines was my long game. Now that that's been settled with numbers comfortable to me, I can do the short game and stock on the mags that are under that are not in the infamous set number of ten, like Mustang 380 6 round and the S&W Shield 7 round magazines.
View Quote

Yep.

On that note, 1911 mags seem really expensive for what they are.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep.

On that note, 1911 mags seem really expensive for what they are.
View Quote

I can't help you there, all of mine are either WC or CM

Link Posted: 2/18/2022 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I can't help you there, all of mine are either WC or CM

https://i.imgur.com/6YPQqFj.jpg
View Quote

I have Mec-Gar, Checkmate, Wilson, and Tripp. The only one to give me an issue so far was the black Vickers Duty that regularly sells for ~$60. The floorplate tab was too wide so the baseplate would slide off under recoil.

The Mec-Gars were picked up for $15 each so I have been pretty pleased with them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#40]
There's much worst things to spend money on like drugs for example. If you can afford it I say go ahead. May come in handy one day especially if they pass a compacity ban. Could sell them for 100 bucks or more a piece. Keep up the good work I hope I can catch up to you In a few years I only have 10 lol.
Link Posted: 2/18/2022 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#41]
There's much worst things to spend money on like drugs for example. If you can afford it I say go ahead. May come in handy one day especially if they pass a compacity ban. Could sell them for 100 bucks or more a piece. Keep up the good work I hope I can catch up to you In a few years I only have 10 lol.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 12:54:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Get as many as you want, just make sure you are properly trained. Training is the bedrock to everything else.
Link Posted: 2/24/2022 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#44]
When you've lived through a ban (94 crime bill) or facing one like we are now in Wa, you'll think you'll never have enough.

Honestly though if you dont shoot a lot, like maybe once a month, but have enough mags to replace one if you broke one or two per year for the rest of your life? You're well stocked.

Link Posted: 3/12/2022 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#45]
If and when another ban passes, I don't think magazines will be transferable. The moonbats learned their lesson and are playing the long game. See the ban in VT. You had until a certain date to acquire mags and that was it. They become contraband when you die. Can't sell them, leave them to your kids, etc. Eventually all legally owned mags will be gone when nobody that was born before the ban is alive.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#46]
^ People like that are why I don’t even care about bans anymore.

They ban whatever they want because people like y’all sit around and wring your hands and worry about breaking a law.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
^ People like that are why I don’t even care about bans anymore.

They ban whatever they want because people like y’all sit around and wring your hands and worry about breaking a law.
View Quote

OP said he is buying mags to sell them during the next ban. I pointed out that they probably won't be legal to sell.

If you want to make money selling illegal things there's better things than mags to do it with.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Magazines will eat a couple of thousand rounds before having any issues and that is a minimum number.
So if you have 100 magazines you are easily good for 200,000 rounds. Got a quarter of a million rounds sitting at home?
Buy more ammo instead.
Link Posted: 3/12/2022 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

OP said he is buying mags to sell them during the next ban. I pointed out that they probably won't be legal to sell.

If you want to make money selling illegal things there's better things than mags to do it with.
View Quote

Of course he would still be able to sell them.  Cash is king.  When the govt violates the Constitution, it is an American's duty to disregard the UnConstitutional.  As long as you do not sell to strangers who would know?  Also, govt does not keep track of who has how many magazines, so there should be no problem for your kids and grand children to get magazines that you have.
Link Posted: 3/13/2022 11:10:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Of course he would still be able to sell them.  Cash is king.  When the govt violates the Constitution, it is an American's duty to disregard the UnConstitutional.  As long as you do not sell to strangers who would know?  Also, govt does not keep track of who has how many magazines, so there should be no problem for your kids and grand children to get magazines that you have.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I said legal to sell. What will happen to your grandchildren if they're caught with the mags but were born after it became illegal to buy or receive them? That's the way it is in VT right now. Someone born there today may never legally possess pistol mags over 15 rounds or 10 round mags for rifles unless they move out of the state.

Sure, you'll be able to sell them to people who you personally trust to keep their mouth shut. You'll be risking jail time though. How many people do you know that would want the mags but don't have many right now?

Unlike the time leading up to the 1994 ban, now there's been on and off panic buying for almost 20 years. Even if they did grandfather in existing mags as pre-ban (they probably won't), demand will be pretty low compared to those 10 years because of how many are out there now.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top