Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 3/19/2019 4:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you've for over 250 AR mags, then what was your concern exactly to begin with if there was a ban? That you would wear that many out in your lifetime? And not being contrite,  honest question.
View Quote
Im well over 350 actually

But in all seriousness I was just generally curious what other people feel like is a comfortable amount of mags.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 2:06:09 AM EDT
[#2]
As long as I think of the clinton ban saying anything over 10 rds was bad, more mags are needed.

Even if the federal government lets me have mags over 10 rds, some states feel 10 rds or more is bad and that causes me issues.

My personal opinion is I should be able to buy a belt fed or mag fed full auto with a silencer with the same amount of paperwork as I go into a gun store and buy a ruger birds head 45colt single action revolver with.

Either they trust me or they don't trust me.  Same as felons they let out of prison but they won't let that person who served their sentence buy a gun or vote in some cases.  In some cases they can get their rights back, but usually it takes some money to do so.

Then again, everyone here should go to appleseed.  But posting is easier in some cases.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 9:55:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
As long as I think of the clinton ban saying anything over 10 rds was bad, more mags are needed.

Even if the federal government lets me have mags over 10 rds, some states feel 10 rds or more is bad and that causes me issues.

My personal opinion is I should be able to buy a belt fed or mag fed full auto with a silencer with the same amount of paperwork as I go into a gun store and buy a ruger birds head 45colt single action revolver with.

Either they trust me or they don't trust me.  Same as felons they let out of prison but they won't let that person who served their sentence buy a gun or vote in some cases.  In some cases they can get their rights back, but usually it takes some money to do so.

Then again, everyone here should go to appleseed.  But posting is easier in some cases.
View Quote
It should require the same amount of effort as going in and buying a soda. About the only limitation I'm okay with would be making it as difficult as buying a pack of cigarettes. Your ID says you're 18? Ok, here's your suppressed M-240. Don't forget to pick up some 100-round belts to go with that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2019 3:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, if we fix the felon walking free issue I agree with that.

I figure if someone has done their time they should get their rights back, at the same time that would not work with the current system.

But yeah, if they can walk on the sidewalk my grandma uses then they should be a full fledged citizen with full rights.

Today's world ain't got that and probably won't ever have that.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#5]
5x 40 rounds
20x 30 rounds
10x 20 rounds
= 1000 rounds.

Do that all over again for "reserve"
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unless they are all in one location and you cannot be.

Also, will your mags suffice for your lifetime and your heirs?

Something to think about.
View Quote
^^^
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 10:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Enough magazines to comfortably supply each firearm of that caliber, plus more in reserve for those that over time become lost, damaged, wear out, or otherwise become unserviceable.  I would think 15 or so for every 5.56 rifle would be a good amount.  Of course more is better.
Link Posted: 4/4/2019 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/6/2019 11:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Buy 6-12 at a time, wait for really good deals. Unless it’s a REALLY good deal. It’s nice to have a lot of mags, but it’s real nice to have a lot of mags that are very diverse in type, material, color, capacity, condition, etc. You run into crazy stuff like m2 pmags don’t work in SCAR16 without modification, M3 pmag won’t work in ARX100, some feedlips stretch, some feed lips crack, some mags do better in cold, others do better in sand, etc.

ETA: don’t waste your money on shitty mags. Stick to proven stuff like pmags, Lancer, Okay, etc.
View Quote
To give you some perspective, during the 1 week window to buy standard cap magazines, people were “claiming” to spend $3000-$5000 buying magazines during that window.  Many people were buying magazines for weapons they don’t own yet, buy MAY buy in the future.  I concur with SlimBlundt, buy high quality magazines monthly, and increase the quantity if the go on sale.  PSA puts pmags and D&H USGI mags on sale regularly.   If you buy 8 a month, you’ll have 100 in a year.  Make sure you buy the most for your primary weapons, one rifle (probably AR or AK pattern) and one pistol.  Say you have a Glock 26 or 19.  Buy mags that fit either of those, and also some of the full size ones.  It’s only semi-annoying when they stick out and the make great trade bait.
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unless they are all in one location and you cannot be.

Also, will your mags suffice for your lifetime and your heirs?

Something to think about.
View Quote
Exactly.

I am not sure on my total count, but I keep around 50 loaded for the range, and the same unloaded, stacked in the gun room.  I have 25 in the 5th wheel, loaded.  I have at least 50-60 in wrappers, most of those are Brownells aluminum.

My son has at least 50 Gen 2 Pmags that I gave him, at his place for his 2 measly ARs
Link Posted: 4/7/2019 6:22:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I sent all my magazines to Calfornia  last week
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Having lived through the ban. I decided that if I get a new gun that takes a new mag. I buy 10-12 mags instantly. Then more as needed
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Holy shit. Some of you guys REALLY stock up on mags. I'll never hit anywhere near that number and I'm ok with that. I guess the problem I have is too many different guns, so I can't devote a huge amount of money to mags for all of them.

My best guess is 7 per AR (7) and AK (13); 6 for the G3, 4 for the FAL, 4 for the Uzi, 8 for the MP-5. For my pistols, my Glocks have 10 each, M-9 eight, Mk25 six, then five for every other gun, unless they're single stacks (Makarov, Tokarevs, P-38, etc.) in which case I just keep two per gun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#14]
For anyone who did not live through the clinton ban decade and 10 years or silly prices, see if you can find some old posts in the archives of some of the older websites on those times.

Anyone who has had a housefire and lives in a state that won't let you buy new mags over 10 rounds, consider what happens at that point.

Saw a speedloader get stepped on the other day, was on concrete and it died.  Was empty at the time.  Figure a plastic mag might meet a similar fate.

Remember messing with bent feed lips during the clinton ban period, bought mag for cheap cause damaged and was a pain to get it to run mostly right.  Was aluminum ar mag.

I admit ak surplus mags should handle being used as a step.  Ar, not so much.  Fal is kind of inbetween and yeah mags have gone up in price.

Right now part of the reason to own an ar15 and a glock 22 is new ar15 mags are cheap and police trade in mags for a glock 22 are 11 bucks or so.  And while used, fml glock mags do not seem worn out or even close to it from the police trade in mags I have recieved but I admit I don't have 10s of thousands of rounds through em.
Link Posted: 4/14/2019 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#15]
If your "mag collection" doesn't match up to the other guys and are suffering from "mag envy" PSA has D&H for $8 and free shc for 10 or more.

edit: Gen 2 pmags for $8.40 each and free shc on 10 or more using coupon code pmag.
Link Posted: 4/15/2019 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#16]
There is no maximum number because, like ammo, you can never have too many mags. You should have a minimum of 10 mags for each rifle and then keep adding to those 10. I won't give an exact number but I have well over 1,000 30 round 5.56 AR mags.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I am comfortable at 100 but still find myself pulling the trigger if I have extra $$ and see  a deal.
Link Posted: 6/7/2019 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I know the correct answer is as many as you can afford and I do feel like a have a good supply. But Oregon might become another ban state as the cancer spreads.

What is the minimum amount of magazines would you guys feel comfortable with having in the event of a mag ban? And what type of magazines for that matter?
View Quote
Impossible question to answer.  If you knew there was going to be a ban...you would want as many as you could get ahold of before the ban took effect.

I have around 40 30rd AR mags......if I woke up tomorrow and found out I couldn't buy any more, I would be ok.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Impossible question to answer.  If you knew there was going to be a ban...you would want as many as you could get ahold of before the ban took effect.

I have around 40 30rd AR mags......if I woke up tomorrow and found out I couldn't buy any more, I would be ok.
View Quote
I feel the same way. I have about the same number of mags (around half of them stored away in an MTM crate), but I'll keep buying them a few here and there for the crate. If the plug on mags got pulled tomorrow, I would feel fine.

It's not a sudden ban on mags that's going to make them unavailable. It's going to be a mass-buying panic. There will be some nightmare shooting somewhere, and it will be so bad and the political rhetoric so super-heated, that gun owners will start panic buying.

Look at what happened when the People's Republik of Kaliforniascan gave people a week to buy regular capacity magazines. Just that one state, just for one week, cleaned out everyone across the country. Some vendors are still trying to get restocked. A national panic is going to look like what happened following the shooting at Sandy Hook. You want to make sure you're well-stocked when CTD raises their mag prices from $19 to $109 each.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 9:47:02 AM EDT
[#20]
I like to have as many magazines as I hope to be able to carry for each weapon.  Then I need spare magazines in the supply locker in order to deal with magazines that over time become lost or unserviceable.  I don't plan on selling or giving away any magazines so having 300 magazines for one rifle is not my thing.

I figure if I can carry 9 extra 30 round magazines for a 5.56 rifle, I will have a load of ten total magazines, 300 rounds.   I would then need about 15 magazines in reserve to cover loss or damage over time....so roughly 25 for each 5.56 rifle.  308 rifles are different, but the idea is the same.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I know the correct answer is as many as you can afford and I do feel like a have a good supply. But Oregon might become another ban state as the cancer spreads.

What is the minimum amount of magazines would you guys feel comfortable with having in the event of a mag ban? And what type of magazines for that matter?
View Quote
The truth be told....its how ever many you feel comfortable with. After the ban...I went out and started buying glock mags ar mags ak mags. Any time there was a good.deal. I have over 50 mags between 4 glocks. I feel comfortable with that number. I do want a few more g43 mags but anyway.
Im done wiith ak mags but even though I have enough ar mags..I still buy more. That's my answer.
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I think a realistic number is 100.  Yes I know they are expendable items but how many do you plan on breaking between now and when you're dead?  How many mags have you broken in your lifetime thus far?

Stick to Magpul M3 PMAGs and OKAY GI mags
View Quote
I agree with all of this. 100 is a good roundabout number. They are not that expensive. You can buy like 10+ at a time for an inexpensive price until you stock up to 100.

And I concur with Magpul M3 mags and Okay USGI mags (or other USGI issue, such as Center Industries).
Link Posted: 6/8/2019 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I think people go way nuts with them...15 per AR is a fine in the real world. Throw in some high cap ones..40's, D60's etc. Though with mag prices these days...buy them.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 6:51:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Clearly we all have an idea.

I expect 7-10 per AR is a good number.

I like to keep 30-40 mags loaded with 20 rounds each that I rotate into and out of my range bags for home/defense availability and range use.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I think people go way nuts with them...15 per AR is a fine in the real world. Throw in some high cap ones..40's, D60's etc. Though with mag prices these days...buy them.
View Quote
There were a lot of people who were caught off guard by the various mag shortages that came from the massive panic buying. With the politics of the day being what it is, there is a lot of fear we will have to suffer through another AWB, except the next one will be much worse and have no built in sunset provision. It's no secret the democrats hate the 2A and will never stop trying to weaken it to the point they can eliminate it. Even if they can't get it out of the Constitution, they can create so many loopholes and exceptions, it no longer has the ability to protect anything.

When that day comes, and it's likely it will come eventually, everyone wants to be as ready as they possibly can be.
Link Posted: 6/11/2019 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have a 100 an some an I still plan to buy more. Wife doesnt understand the madness.
View Quote
I'll sell you a "d".
Link Posted: 6/12/2019 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Minimum of 12 mags per weapon.
View Quote
Agreed.
And 1000 rounds per gun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#28]
I don't think that arbitrary numbers pulled out of the air make sense.   If it's a range toy, 2 minimum,  who cares, it's a range toy.  Combat weapons, like carry handguns or rifles kitted with optics and lights get a mag pool based around combat loads for it.  I figure the MINIMUM pool to be 1 full combat load loaded with premium ammo plus 2 additional combat loads for a training pool. For a carry gun that might mean 2 mags carry load + 2 times that number for a total of 6 mags. Minimum.  N + 2N = minimum

After that I'm buying in combat load "batches" for mags and ammo.  For example, lots of Army units use 7 mags as SOP for M4s.  So minimum would be 7 + 2x7 = 21 mags. Another 7 AR mags would make it 2 combat loads with fighting ammo and 2 with training, for 28 mags.

For me, ideal pool size would be
A fully loaded combat rig for every fighting family member that you're going to supply
A go bag for every person with a spare fighting load
A go bag for every vehicle with a spare fighting load
A training mag pool of 5x fighting loads per person

Any mags after that is just taking advantage of good deals for the inevitable replacements for worn out kit.

These pools get big fast, which is why I personally focus on stocking for a limited number of platforms for fighting.  There is a big difference between a few mags for a cool range toy and the commitment needed for a fighting platform.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I have always looked at mag cost before buying something.  Wish I had bought one of the russian semi auto 7.62x54r rifles anyway.

Right now ar15 mags are so cheap I see no reason not to buy more and to some extent I am willing to help friends out if prices go up.  Especially when someone is young and finally getting into ar15s or something.  I got a few mags during the clinton mag ban years cause I was young and getting into "evil" rifles and someone helped me out.

Mags wear out.  If you practice a lot they will wear and possible get damaged.  I have not had it happen to my 1911s, need to shoot em more, but I read about feed lips of the mags cracking I think.  Was some serious round count though.

I don't know if surplus metal ak mags wear out, the 7.62x39 ones.  I have not dealt with other ak mags.

Just cause of current prices on fal mags I wish I bought a few hundred more back when.

I do not want to think the same on ar15 mags, but I will if prices double on em in a decade or two.

In messing around in some clutter and what not I found some more mags, psa add on mags I just left in the shipping box.

Don't go in debt or avoid paying off debt to buy mags, but if you have money for cases of beer or trips to liquor store or eat out a whole lot, spend some money on mags.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 11:41:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I started packing my shtf Ammo in mags in Ammo cans. Takes up less room. Guess I’ll need a few more mags, and ammo cans.
Link Posted: 6/15/2019 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#32]
As a bare minimum, 2x basic load ( I use 7 for a load) for each fighting rifle plus a reserve stock of 25% of that total. A bare minimum. I'm comfortable with 3x basic load for each rifle plus a reserve of 50% of that total. Since our serious rifles are all ARs I've set aside 10 mags total strictly for range use for them. If they were different platforms I'd have 5 per rifle. Since we have 3 ARs for social purposes and have about 150 mags set aside just for them, we're in good shape.

Handguns, basically the same. 2x basic load (2+1) minimum, 3x I'm comfortable, plus a reserve of 50%. Range mags another basic load. Yeah,I'm not big on getting into a serious scrap with a handgun. More for next-to-last resort.

Hunting/range toys that use mags >10 rounds, at least 5 mags each, unless they use somewhat hard to get or surplus mags, then get while the gettings good! If it uses <10 round mags, 2-4 is good. Since I also use a AR to hunt with that could double as a mid range precision rifle, I've put back a few 30s just for that purpose. Also my deer hunting Tikka in 6.5x55 is also my long range rifle, so I've got some extra mags just in case for it.

Last part reminds me. Already been mentioned, but whatever you decide to use, make sure mags are at least reasonably priced. Regular price the mags for my Tikkas run in the $40+ neighborhood for a 5 rounder. I got lucky, when I bought one they had a special promotion, buy a rifle get $100 worth of accesories. Another time found some on clearance but were still $30/ea.
Link Posted: 6/16/2019 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I remember when you could hardly scrounge a mag. When you could it was $20 for a surplus USGI or $40 for a Pmag locally, limit 2.

I'll not play that game again.
View Quote
I know what you mean. I couldnt agree more.

Anybody that needs or wants some number of magazines and doesn't have them yet should take advantage of these current prices.

HexMags at PA 7.99...at least today. PMags at PSA $7.99. The time to buy is now.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#34]
40 ish
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
50-100 would make me feel okay. 150-200 I would good. 250-300 I would be great.
View Quote
This.
Actually I kind lost track how many I have.. But think I am approx 150 ish
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 10:29:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I think a realistic number is 100.  Yes I know they are expendable items but how many do you plan on breaking between now and when you're dead?  How many mags have you broken in your lifetime thus far?

Stick to Magpul M3 PMAGs and OKAY GI mags
View Quote
Its not about breakage.. Its about the time you ever need your tactical as an actual tactical rifle.
...turning and burning with emergency reloads you will leave a lot of mags on the field in every engagement before u unass the area.

newbs sometimes tell me "oh I got 6 mags.. thats as many as i can fit in my rigs. so I am good to go right?"...
And I just facepalm before i patiently explain..

That plus tradespace for a ban
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:21:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Also what about the shit you leave your kids.
Have to make sure they have plenty, ya never know.
Besides...I will never get caught slipping again if a ban pops off. Those that were around with the ban all feel the same about it. Ill never forget about the time I bought a few pre ban mags from 44mag.com and he sent me mags that had the floor plates tabs broken off, held with wires holding the floor plates on.
Also about 160 for a g21 mag. Fuck that...never again.
And yeah...I got my money back from him, only way was to go through my C.C .
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 2:02:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Never again.

Been there, done that shit.

I have enough mags for 2 lifetimes. I still want more.
View Quote

And I dont drink...but fuck it.

I try to tell my son...he has around 30 maybe more for his ar.  He thinks thats enough, Hes 24 so didnt experience the damn ban. I try to let him know when good deals are out there. But thinks its fine...sheet, he figures when Im gone he'll get all my shit. He did pick up two 40 round pmags.
Link Posted: 7/5/2019 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I bought more today....
View Quote
LOL, thumbs-up. And as alluded to higher, barter-power.
In some situations a well-functioning mag can take on Krugerrand proportions.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I bought more today....
View Quote
No need to look down....damn proud of ya! I know it aint much, but bought 3, 40 round pmags with 2 weeks.
What did ya get?
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 1:26:36 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll keep buying AR mags until the end of the year. I figure next year is going to be the year to hunker down. If not, then great, but it will be best to be prepared by then just in case.

I'll pick up a few more mags for the pistols, too. And ammo for everything.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Haha. Sometimes it's just that they are there and I say fuck it, I'll take em. Picked up 5 NIP Brownells with SS springs and 4 Okay in the white boxes. (If you haven't tried the Brownells, and you are an aluminum mag fan,  you should try a few. Great mags IME. ) I've got ~25 in rotation, never an issue.  Maybe 40ish stashed away.
View Quote
How did ya pick up the 4 okays in the boxes?
If ya dont mind how much and where?
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 2:56:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Botach has the reg okay 6 for 59.99.
Might jump on that again...unless a better price.
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/6/2019 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Good price, but I do not Botach.
View Quote
Yeah...I know, figured I gave him another chance. And the last 2 to 3 times been fast shipping and shipped to me in great shape.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top