Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
PSA has M2s on sale for just under $8.00 each . Free shipping on 10.

I may have picked up some...

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Really can't go wrong either way.
PSA has M2s on sale for just under $8.00 each . Free shipping on 10.

I may have picked up some...

I don't need any, but you can never have too many.  I've got some new empty ammo cans too
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I took the Okay mags to shoot today.  They did great.  I didnt run hundreds of rounds through them so I'm not saying they couldn't fail, but my concern of being tough to feed off rounds with fingers didnt matter.  Bist standard and the new style were great. I don't own a FA but I shit some as quick as I could.  No issues.  I still like my M3 Pmags but these are great too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well I took the Okay mags to shoot today.  They did great.  I didnt run hundreds of rounds through them so I'm not saying they couldn't fail, but my concern of being tough to feed off rounds with fingers didnt matter.  Bist standard and the new style were great. I don't own a FA but I shit some as quick as I could.  No issues.  I still like my M3 Pmags but these are great too.
View Quote
The inside of the of feed lips tend to get a bit smoother as you use the mags, but with a strong spring it usually is hard to get round #30 off
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The inside of the of feed lips tend to get a bit smoother as you use the mags, but with a strong spring it usually is hard to get round #30 off
View Quote
This doesn't seem to be the case with the E2.

Because of the modified feed lips, there is less force required to strip the 30th round.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 12:15:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because of the modified feed lips, there is less force required to strip the 30th round.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My pre 94 Okay mags are slick as snot
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:20:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
I noticed it to be a little easier in the E2 but still much harder than a PMAG.  "Slick" is the right word for the PMags.   It's just stiff pushing the okay.   But the bolt has no trouble so I guess it's ok.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I noticed it to be a little easier in the E2 but still much harder than a PMAG.  "Slick" is the right word for the PMags.   It's just stiff pushing the okay.   But the bolt has no trouble so I guess it's ok.
View Quote
This is true.

PMags do load much easier and unload somewhat  easier than Aluminum Mags.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is true.

PMags do load much easier and unload somewhat  easier than Aluminum Mags.
View Quote
Hm. For me Pmags are about a billion times easier to unload by hand vs GI.

Both are easy to load.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I don't own a mag that's not a Pmag Gen M3 and won't until something better comes along.  And a old school g.i. mag ain't gonna be the something better.
View Quote
It’s here, the company name is Lancer
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't own a mag that's not a Pmag Gen M3 and won't until something better comes along.  And a old school g.i. mag ain't gonna be the something better.
That's some funny shit right there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
What's your experience with Lancer mags?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I have used a lot of different mags and one thing I can say from my own personal experience is that I have not met a magazine that I would trust 100%, 100% of the time. That is why I train to quickly remedy a mag failure.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:02:55 AM EDT
[#14]
drw1006, well said. I think sometimes we get caught up discussing mag brands and need to remember that they are disposable and usually the weak point of any rifle.

Quoted:
View Quote
I haven’t had any bad experiences with them myself - I like them, although I find them difficult to seat on a closed bolt when new and full. However, they didn’t do as well as the M3 PMAG (or the tan follower GI mag, if I recall correctly) in the Army reliability test that led to the Marine Corps selecting the M3. I still buy them occasionally, but they’re usually more expensive, so PMAGs and Okay are my primary mags.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're not as reliable as a g.i. mag, they didn't do anything to improve feed geometry, the plastic nubs on the front of feedlips are easy to break off.

The only mags I'll use are Pmags, Tango Down, G.I.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:27:11 PM EDT
[#16]
My experience. I like both USGI and PMAG.

The Colt engineers , when asked to design a 30 rd mag, did just that... and did not engineer enough room to allow the 30 rds with spring and follower to compress a bit, making it easier to insert a full mag into a closed bolt M16. Which is why lots of dudes down loaded by 2.

Magpul has the luxury of not starting from scratch and was able to incorporate lots of learnings into their mags.

I still down load my GI mags by 2.

The nice thing about PMAGS is the feed lips crack, giving you a visual indicator that there is a problem.. USGI aluminum, just spread over time, causing malfunctions.
I number all my  mags so I can track problems.

The number one lesson I have learned, and Uncle Sugar taught me this. Don't fall in love with your magazines... they are an expendable item....Saw too many milk crates in Arms rooms filled with GI mags, with the word "BAD" written on them in Sharpie.. and come range qualification, the Arms rooms folks are handing them out.....

No reason any more. Mags are cheap and plentiful.... If I mag gives me troubles, it gets trashed. That simple.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep.

And sometimes the lips don't spread but they flop out when rhe round stack hits 'em and cause intermittent FTFeeds.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 1:15:48 PM EDT
[#18]
USGI 30 rd mags do have extra room for locking up under a closed bolt.  So much room that you can actually load 31 rounds, overloading it and then having no extra room for compression.

CD
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 2:50:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
USGI 30 rd mags do have extra room for locking up under a closed bolt.  So much room that you can actually load 31 rounds, overloading it and then having no extra room for compression.

CD
View Quote
This is correct, I can press downward on the top round in a USGI 30 round magazine that is loaded with 30 rounds and the whole stack moves down about a 1/4 of an inch. Same thing as with my Pmags.

I don't download any of my mags, I just make sure that they are actually only loaded to their intended capacity.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

CD
View Quote
Perhaps if the spring is worn out.

I can't fit 31 rounds in any aluminum mag I own. Maybe I could, but I never tried because I'd really have to force it in.

PMags do give a little extra room for locking up under a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:33:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My experience. I like both USGI and PMAG.

The Colt engineers , when asked to design a 30 rd mag, did just that... and did not engineer enough room to allow the 30 rds with spring and follower to compress a bit, making it easier to insert a full mag into a closed bolt M16. Which is why lots of dudes down loaded by 2.

Magpul has the luxury of not starting from scratch and was able to incorporate lots of learnings into their mags.

I still down load my GI mags by 2.

View Quote
I don't understand why they didn't re engineer the USGI 30 round mag to give it a little extra room? They had several decades to do it?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:47:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is an Adventure line USGI mag with 30 rds

Here it is trying to stuff a 31st rd.. nogo

A Gen 2 PMAG with 30 rds

and here it is with the 31st rd in it

A side by side length comparison

The US GI mag has  less room, if you're getting 31 in them, there is something wrong.
As with all things GI, sometimes they don't evolve as quickly as they should. As I had mentioned, the Engineers at Colt were asked to make a 30 rd as a reaction to facing AK's in VietNam.

So they did, but as usual, Engineers and end users don't always work together. Which is why the habit of down loading came to fruition.

Magpul knew this and engineered space into them to make it easier to load a mag on a closed bolt.

Look at US GI mags... up until the change in Green follower, which was to solve a specific problem , now changes have been made to it. Why?

Because DoD always considered the magazine a disposable item, but unfortunately, the Big Green Machine never got that memo, and magazines were treated like NVG's...
Then after Magpul shows up on the scene and actually does some product improvement, what doe the Army do? copy there follower design. yeah Army...

Then M855A1 comes along and forces them to redesign it again to solve a problem.

See a trend?  The Army will only Product improve when they have to....
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#23]
It seems that way.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I don't know why people think aluminum feed lips won't creep.
View Quote
They will but it takes years. I have a friend who did a test with 25 used USGI mags and left them loaded . He shot one mag a year for 25 years. He had a few FTF issues on around year 12 and 18. These could have been the mag since all started as used mags.. His sample size is too small to be science.  But the mags in the 20's all worked. These were stored in a garage in ammo cans for moves to 4 different states.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 7:18:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Im with the OP in having nothing but PMags. but now that i have matured somewhat i now know that USGI mags are slightly more versatile. PMags don't work in all guns and don't drop free in all guns either. Grab a USGI mag and it will work in any gun there was problems with PMags in. And they all drop free. I want to order a pack of 10 Okay surefeed mags when i get the chance but to many other items on the wish list right now....
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 1:53:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Holy shit dude, I think this entire site knows the hardon you have for Okay mags. It's not like we have a choice but to know your opinion.

I hope someday soon they make a fleshlight so you can satisfy that love for them.

Give it a rest already
View Quote
He's really just correcting a misnomer. D&H works, sure..go ahead...use it. I live in a free world and also choose the proven product that is Okay.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

He's really just correcting a misnomer. D&H works, sure..go ahead...use it. I live in a free world and also choose the proven product that is Okay.
View Quote
D@H works fine  They supply mags to foreign militaries. That said, OKAY seems to pay slightly more attention to detail and more rigourously tests their mags.

That's why they cost $2-3 more.
Link Posted: 1/24/2019 11:08:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

D@H works fine  They supply mags to foreign militaries. That said, OKAY seems to pay slightly more attention to detail and more rigourously tests their mags.

That's why they cost $2-3 more.
View Quote
Yep for sure, I should have included the fact D&H does sell to outside militaries. I have two of their PSA branded floor plate mags and barely use them. Okay for the win.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 3:22:24 AM EDT
[#29]
In what time frame are people seeing cracked feed lips with older (loaded) PMags?
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
In what time frame are people seeing cracked feed lips with older (loaded) PMags?
View Quote
I've got 11 and 12 year old pmags with none having cracked feed lips.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Probably depends on how they are stored

I had 2 gen 1s crack on the rear portion of the feedlips/ upper spine area.

I still have 10 gen 1s that are fine; so far.

For most of the time I had them , they were not stored in a climate controlled area.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

For most of the time I had them , they were not stored in a climate controlled area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 out of ____?  I have around 20 made in '07/'08 - 0 cracked feed lips
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

2 out of ____?  I have around 20 made in '07/'08 - 0 cracked feed lips
View Quote
2 out of a dozen.

I owned 12 and have 10 left.
Link Posted: 1/25/2019 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Okay. I have new and used that are 100%
Center Industries. Still have about 40 in new and used condition. No issues
Parsons. Used and abused and still flawless
D&H. No issues
C Products. No issues
Magpul. No issues
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 2:34:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
I posted this photo comparison on another forum last year. I know others are fans of D&H mags and haven’t had any issues with them, but I personally don’t consider them “USGI” - more like “USGI style” - and would rather spend the extra few bucks for Okay mags.

Apologies for the fuzzy photos - it was hard to focus on the gray magazine bodies in my poor kitchen lighting. Here's a '12 production D&H (Noveske branded) on the top with a '11 production Okay below. Note the ripples in the D&H spine where it's pinched in at the weld spots, while the Okay has a smooth spine with no gap showing. The Okay seams actually appear to be sealed somehow - not sure if that’s an effect of the dry lube finish:

Attachment Attached File

Top of the rear and front spine seams. Note that this expensive Noveske-branded mag came with an older green follower, and the spring seems lower quality also (I'm no expert on spring materials, but it's kind of chalky in appearance). I know PSA mags come with Magpul followers. I bought a few Noveske mags when I was ordering some other things from their website because I was curious who they were made by. They turned out to have the D&H cage code on the body with the Noveske cage code on the floor plate (for double the price of the PSA version):

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Again, I don't really doubt that these D&H mags will hold up ok, but if I'm going to buy aluminum mags, I'm going to stick with the ones that seem to be better quality to me. That's just where I'd rather spend my money.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Brownells and Center are about the same quality as the D&H.

Okay does make a pretty mag!

They have not shown to be any more durable or reliable in any testing.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 10:33:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Okay does make a pretty mag!

They have not shown to be any more durable or reliable in any testing.
View Quote
AFAIK this is correct; with the exception of the USGI Tan Follower Mags, which the Surefire E2s are a close copy of.( According to Blain, AKA Jessie Ventura...lol)  The E2s also have the modified feed lips; which should help also.

According to the testing report, the tan follower USGI Mags came in a very close second to the PMags. ( And actually beating PMags on one test)

I haven't owned my E2s long but I can already see that they load and unload significantly easier than regular Okays or D@H.( Although not as easy as PMags)
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I posted this photo comparison on another forum last year. I know others are fans of D&H mags and haven’t had any issues with them, but I personally don’t consider them “USGI” - more like “USGI style” - and would rather spend the extra few bucks for Okay mags.

Apologies for the fuzzy photos - it was hard to focus on the gray magazine bodies in my poor kitchen lighting. Here's a '12 production D&H (Noveske branded) on the top with a '11 production Okay below. Note the ripples in the D&H spine where it's pinched in at the weld spots, while the Okay has a smooth spine with no gap showing. The Okay seams actually appear to be sealed somehow - not sure if that’s an effect of the dry lube finish:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/2982FE82-84DF-4B18-B41E-03CE9A63F892_jpeg-821776.JPG

Top of the rear and front spine seams. Note that this expensive Noveske-branded mag came with an older green follower, and the spring seems lower quality also (I'm no expert on spring materials, but it's kind of chalky in appearance). I know PSA mags come with Magpul followers. I bought a few Noveske mags when I was ordering some other things from their website because I was curious who they were made by. They turned out to have the D&H cage code on the body with the Noveske cage code on the floor plate (for double the price of the PSA version):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/649CDAE2-C465-4D56-A771-50ED5C8113DC_jpeg-821777.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/DBA8003A-A030-47A7-8305-5FD3E14A1440_jpeg-821778.JPG

Again, I don't really doubt that these D&H mags will hold up ok, but if I'm going to buy aluminum mags, I'm going to stick with the ones that seem to be better quality to me. That's just where I'd rather spend my money.
View Quote
Thanks for this, I was gonna do a picture comparison of two old D&H mags to an Okay USGI, and an E2 when I get back home...but either way...

This shows the glaring differences in quality and tolerances. The front and back of the D&H spine appears bowed out and not flush. Let alone even that green follower appears to have garbage plastic molding qualities.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here is an Adventure line USGI mag with 30 rds
https://i.imgur.com/5BI7wsy.jpg

Here it is trying to stuff a 31st rd.. nogo
https://i.imgur.com/izdX2OQ.jpg

A Gen 2 PMAG with 30 rds
https://i.imgur.com/4GdUG7g.jpg

and here it is with the 31st rd in it

https://i.imgur.com/MBh7wrY.jpg

A side by side length comparison
https://i.imgur.com/OzpzF7T.jpg

Then after Magpul shows up on the scene and actually does some product improvement, what doe the Army do? copy there follower design. yeah Army...

View Quote
How did they copy magpul?  The military released a temporary fix in the green followers before magpul existed.  Then later came out with their final fix that was the tan follower which is non tilt due to the way the new spring design locks onto the follower to prevent it from tilting.  The magpul follower appears to use the same spring as before and the army spring/follower combo is completely new. The original idea to fix the follower was the military’s and everything else is just an improvement to that idea.  There are only so many ways you can improve on a 50 cent piece of plastic that performs a simple function.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

How did they copy magpul?  The military released a temporary fix in the green followers before magpul existed.  Then later came out with their final fix that was the tan follower which is non tilt due to the way the new spring design locks onto the follower to prevent it from tilting.  The magpul follower appears to use the same spring as before and the army spring/follower combo is completely new. The original idea to fix the follower was the military’s and everything else is just an improvement to that idea.  There are only so many ways you can improve on a 50 cent piece of plastic that performs a simple function.
View Quote
My understanding is Magpul offered the non-tilt follower to Uncle sam, who rejected it, and then suddenly had there own. Unless you have some data that shows otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Anti tilt followers are not a new thing.

For example, the steel followers in old AK Steel Mags are anti tilt.
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My understanding is Magpul offered the non-tilt follower to Uncle sam, who rejected it, and then suddenly had there own. Unless you have some data that shows otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention the Pmag and the new EPM bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#43]
The name Brand, popular option mags seem to work for most everyone. We all have our particular choice ( mine are Lancers followed by most any of the aluminum, Surefeed and D&H) but without exception you want all of them to function flawless in your rifle.. I am lucky, mine will feed from any Quality mag. I have some 20's from Vietnam, one particular, that has no finish but the gold anodizing left on it. It got where it was unreliable so I put an X on it and set it over to the side. Then I ran across some new springs, changed it out and it's like new. So I changed all the springs in the 20's just to be safe (I leave all my mags loaded, always) and have now installed all the new followers in the 30's. My point is if you FA won't run on what ever you have or have to pick up to continue with the battle, do some fixing.  Mine shoots what ever I stick in it and I'm 100% confident it will function for me
 Strela, the springs in the 20's are a cheap investment (followers for the 30's are also). Never have too many mags or too much ammunition!
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magpul offered just a follower.  The upgraded tan follower GI mags incorporated an entirely new follower and spring system, not just a follower upgrade.

FYI, Magpul still uses the old outdated USGI style spring in their magazines.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote
They state that they do this for spring compatibility purposes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Magpul offered just a follower.  The upgraded tan follower GI mags incorporated an entirely new follower and spring system, not just a follower upgrade.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those dang 2016 models!  Ancient!
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 8:47:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Those dang 2016 models!  Ancient!
View Quote
He's referring to the enhanced springs used in the USGI Tan Follower, Brownells Tan Follower and Surefeed E2 Mags.

While they will last longer, IMO, the standard springs are more than adequate.
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 9:09:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 2/2/2019 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Stop slapping the magazine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what my last set of Okays did this summer.  It got to where they would spit out a round every now and then when doing bolt open reload and would occasionally double feed.

Set of mags was ~9 months old and ~1K rounds per mag.
Stop slapping the magazine.
I wasn't and have never slapped mags on a reload.

Those mags would puke on a push/pull reload.
Link Posted: 2/4/2019 10:17:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I really don’t have any such “data”.  But it’s intresting that an aftermarket follower was offered to Uncle Sam. What was the offer, was it free or did they propose selling it?  My comment in the previous post was about the military “stealing” a design that was an upgrade to their upgrade.  The military was the first to develop an upgrade to the standard followers ( the black followers were upgraded to the green followers).  When the green followers came out there were hundreds of post on this forum how they were the greatest thing ever and that they solved all the problems of the original black followers.  Then commercial followers came out that improved on the improvements.  Then the military came out with its final version which was the tan follower and spring combination.  It’s kind of hard to claim the army copied something when they were the first to make an improved product.
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top