BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Arent these the mags that Battlefield Vegas only uses for the millions of rounds their guns shoot every year?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I just ordered 20 of them last night from Botach and already got a shipping number, should be here soon.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Arent these the mags that Battlefield Vegas only uses for the millions of rounds their guns shoot every year?
View Quote
I believe those are the D&H mags from Brownells, but ether way both are good to go. Frankly I’ve been completely switching back to USGI mags from the polymer wonders because of that very reason. I know my USGI mags will still be around 50 years from now, who knows what will happen to the polymer mags in that time. So GI mags is all I’ll buy now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 12:41:37 AM EDT
[#4]
(Deleated)
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I believe those are the D&H mags from Brownells, but ether way both are good to go. Frankly I’ve been completely switching back to USGI mags from the polymer wonders because of that very reason. I know my USGI mags will still be around 50 years from now, who knows what will happen to the polymer mags in that time. So GI mags is all I’ll buy now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Battlefield Vegas said they got a case of tan follower Brownells mags.

GI mags don't last forever if you use 'em.   They don't always even last very long.    I killed my last set in 9 months.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Battlefield Vegas said they got a case of tan follower Brownells mags.

GI mags don't last forever if you use 'em.   They don't always even last very long.    I killed my last set in 9 months.  
View Quote
Nether does any other mag, they are wear items.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:46:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Do the E2 mags hang in the mag pouches due to texturing of the bodies?
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do the E2 mags hang in the mag pouches due to texturing of the bodies?
View Quote
mine did not have any issues
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 12:39:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Speaking of magazine longevity, the main factor in regards to that is the magazine spring.  99.9% of commercial mags out there have the standard USGI spring with no design improvements or innovation (even Pmags).

The tan follower (and newer blue) USGI mags have a much wider (front of spring to back) and thicker coil gauge spring that was designed by Picatinny.  One of the main advantages of such was greatly increased magazine spring / service life compared to the old USGI spring that even the "new" commercial polymer AR mags still use. (why only improve upon the body / follower and keep the same tired old springs??)

The main advantage of these new Surefire E2 mags is that they have almost the exact same follower and spring design system as the tan follower USGI magazines. It has the same wider (front to back) spring vs. the skinny springs in old USGI mags, and most of the new polymer mag types. The follower is almost the exact same shape and has the same attachment as the tan follower mags as well.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:29:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Speaking of magazine longevity, the main factor in regards to that is the magazine spring.  99.9% of commercial mags out there have the standard USGI spring with no design improvements or innovation (even Pmags).

The tan follower (and newer blue) USGI mags have a much wider (front of spring to back) and thicker coil gauge spring that was designed by Picatinny.  One of the main advantages of such was greatly increased magazine spring / service life compared to the old USGI spring that even the "new" commercial polymer AR mags still use. (why only improve upon the body / follower and keep the same tired old springs??)

The main advantage of these new Surefire E2 mags is that they have almost the exact same follower and spring design system as the tan follower USGI magazines. It has the same wider (front to back) spring vs. the skinny springs in old USGI mags, and most of the new polymer mag types. The follower is almost the exact same shape and has the same attachment as the tan follower mags as well.
View Quote
The feed angle is different though FWIW (not a bad thing, just a thing)
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
For the new Okays?  How is it different, do you know?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They copied the Magpul feed angle.

Spring life is a non-issue.  I've worn out Pmags and the spring was still good.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:16:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read somewhere that the feed angle on the new Okay E2 was optimized for M855A1 ammunition.  I can't remember where I saw that and I'm unable to confirm this. I would like to know for sure because I intend on picking up some m855a1 and would like to use this magazine.  I saw a video of Okay at the shotshow and they showed the mag they are currently making for the US Military and that mag for sure must be set up specifically for M855a1 so my thinking is the E2 is the same way.  Can anybody confirm this?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:55:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Picked up a few dry film E2 30s. Will see how they do.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 12:27:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Picked up a few dry film E2 30s. Will see how they do.
View Quote
Grabbed some black E2s to try out but haven’t hit the range with them yet.  They look and feel like quality, though...for what it’s worth.

I also grabbed some tan “regular” Okays since I’ve never used Okay mags before.  Been a polymer guy until these.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Grabbed some black E2s to try out but haven’t hit the range with them yet.  They look and feel like quality, though...for what it’s worth.

I also grabbed some tan “regular” Okays since I’ve never used Okay mags before.  Been a polymer guy until these.
View Quote
Cool, I haven't received mine yet but good to hear they seem quality.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 10 in black on the way now.  At $9.99 it will likely never be any better.  I plan on using this mag for pretty much everything but really picking them up for M855a1.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have 10 in black on the way now.  At $9.99 it will likely never be any better.  I plan on using this mag for pretty much everything but really picking them up for M855a1.
View Quote
I got mine and they are definitely nice. Interested to see if the new follower is legit. Will get to shoot maybe next weekend.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Got mine in today.  The follower has a very smooth action and is  amazingly anti tilt.  You can pretty much push anywhere off center on the follower and it goes straight down with no apparent resistance.  I have not even loaded one yet but on first inspection I will likely not be buying any other magazine.  In a nutshell my first impression is these are the best AR mags on the market bar none.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I read somewhere that the feed angle on the new Okay E2 was optimized for M855A1 ammunition.  I can't remember where I saw that and I'm unable to confirm this. I would like to know for sure because I intend on picking up some m855a1 and would like to use this magazine.  I saw a video of Okay at the shotshow and they showed the mag they are currently making for the US Military and that mag for sure must be set up specifically for M855a1 so my thinking is the E2 is the same way.  Can anybody confirm this?
View Quote
I think it’s going to be tough to actually measure the difference. I tried to measure the feed angle with my cheap Stanley protractor to compare a regular Okay and an E2, but it’s not sensitive enough to register any difference. I think the design (cut) of the feed lips is where the difference is. The E2 feed lips are cut further back and angled, closer to the length of the PMAG M3 feedlips (on the left in this photo). They’re more angled than the M3’s though. I think the shorter feed lips on both the E2 and M3 allow the round to angle upwards sooner when it hits the feed ramp, while the standard mag continues to hold the round in a horizontal position, potentially pushing it down into the feed ramp as it moves forward. I know someone here did a study on this a while back and posted photos of rounds feeding into the chamber from various magazine brands.

Attachment Attached File

I’d like to compare an E2 to an Okay military EPM, but I haven’t seen one of those in person yet. I can compare it to a Center EPM if anyone is interested.

Looking from the side, I want to say that it looks like the top round in the black E2 mag is angled up a little more than the standard tan Okay, but I don’t trust the photo / iPhone camera enough. You can also see that the E2 has a little larger step in the front of the magazine, I think to give the round more clearance as it feeds.

Attachment Attached File

On a side note, I’m a little surprised by the wear in the black Teflon on the E2. I’ve only tried loading and unloading it from a rifle a dozen times or so to get a feel for the E2 texture. I’ve actually shot and loaded / unloaded the tan Okay a dozen times, and it shows much less wear. The dry film lube on the E2s starts to wear off in the package from all the textured areas rubbing together when the mags are shipped. Gives them a kind of funny speckled look, but I’m not concerned about it at all.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Excellent work Scout!  You are right about the wear on the black E2.  I did not realize the feed lips were that much different on the E2.  We need to compare the commercial E2 to the Okay military EPM when one becomes available.  I can't imaging Okay using different dies for the commercial mags and the military but that might be the case.  I doubt the military version has the "Surefeed" logo on the sides but that could just be an extra step on the commercial version.  I guess we will need to see what happens when we start using these new mags hard.  Okay for sure knows what they are doing but proof is always in the pudding.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 1:30:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Just had 20 E2s delivered from Botach will put them in my stash.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 2:37:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We need to compare the commercial E2 to the Okay military EPM when one becomes available.  I can't imaging Okay using different dies for the commercial mags and the military but that might be the case.
View Quote
Sorry, I didn't mean to give you the wrong idea - the Okay EPM looks exactly like the Center version, since it's made to the Army's standard. I just didn't think it was very "scientific" to post a photo of an E2 next to a Center EPM, since there may be subtle differences. Here's an Okay publicity photo of their EPM. I'd really like to find a few for myself to see how they compare to the common Center version, since I wasn't very impressed with Center's quality.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Sorry, I didn't mean to give you the wrong idea - the Okay EPM looks exactly like the Center version, since it's made to the Army's standard. I just didn't think it was very "scientific" to post of photo of an E2 next to a Center EPM, since there may be subtle differences. Here's an Okay publicity photo of their EPM. I'd really like to find a few for myself to see how they compare to the common Center version, since I wasn't very impressed with Center's quality.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/27888/Okay_EPM_jpg-773051.JPG
View Quote
How do you typically find the EPM versions?
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Well that kinda throws a monkey in the wrench.  One of the reasons I wanted to go with the Surefeed E2 is to be able to run all ammo including  M855a1 in the same mag but they don't seem to match up with the military mag that is specifically set up to feed A1.  I don't want to encounter failures to feed and possibly ding up the feed ramps on my Colts by using a mag that does not lift the A1 rounds properly.  Looks like the safest bet is to grab a few Centers to load the A1 into and use the Okay E2's for everything else.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:30:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I was issued the Center EPMs by the Army, but I know quite a few have shown up in the EE. I haven’t seen any Okays issued yet or heard of anyone buying them.

Quoted:
Well that kinda throws a monkey in the wrench.  One of the reasons I wanted to go with the Surefeed E2 is to be able to run all ammo including  M855a1 in the same mag but they don't seem to match up with the military mag that is specifically set up to feed A1.
View Quote
I wouldn’t be too hasty. I suspect the E2 is designed to feed M855A1 reliably, but I just don’t have any confirmation of that yet. I’ll send a note to Okay and ask them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:33:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I was issued the Center EPMs by the Army, but I know quite a few have shown up in the EE. I haven’t seen any Okays issued yet or heard of anyone buying them.

I wouldn’t be too hasty. I suspect the E2 is designed to feed M855A1 reliably, but I just don’t have any confirmation of that yet. I’ll send a note to Okay and ask them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Well that kinda throws a monkey in the wrench.  One of the reasons I wanted to go with the Surefeed E2 is to be able to run all ammo including  M855a1 in the same mag but they don't seem to match up with the military mag that is specifically set up to feed A1.
Scout:  I was kinda thinking the same thing.  Okay may be hesitant to openly state the mags are designed to reliably feed ammunition that is not available to the public.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#29]
That’s what I was tracking also about Center being the sole source, so I was surprised when the Okay rep I corresponded with asked if I had seen any Okay EPMs in the field yet. I’m sure that Okay was anxious to get in on that business, so maybe they competed for a follow-on order, or Center was having trouble meeting the deliver numbers / timeline.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Same ones issued to my son that is a raider in the Marines. Even down to surefeed on the mag
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Glad to hear confirmation that the Okays are out there. Thanks, Ranger! Interesting though, since the Marines have mandated that only PMAGs will be used during combat operations. I guess they bought the Okays for training.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I heard right back from the Okay rep. He explained that the E2 was designed to allow rounds to feed more smoothly, with less force, to improve reliability. This was achieved by modifying the feed lips as shown in the comparison photo I posted, so that the rounds are easier for the bolt to strip off the top of the stack as it cycles. The E2 was not specifically designed to have the optimized feed angle for M855A1 like the EPM, because the E2 is focused on the commercial market, which won’t have ready access to that type of ammunition. However, as I suspected and described above, he said that the unintended benefit of the new feed lip design was that it allows the rounds to angle up sooner as they are pushed forward. This reduces the effect of pushing the tip of the round into the feed ramp as the round feeds forward, like with a traditional GI mag. I would summarize that, while the E2 may not have been optimaized to feed the M855A1, it is more suited to feeding the A1 smoothly than a standard GI mag. Personally, I would be perfectly comfortable using the E2 mag for A1, but I don’t plan to spend any of my own money to acquire that ammo.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Tha tan GI mags work fine with A1 in semi auto, so I'm sure the Okay Surefeeds will be fine.  I just hope they get rid of the goofy large raised lettering on the mag body.  Very unsightly!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Some great information being shared, thanks Scout et al.

Now, who can direct me to the best price on 10 and 20 round Okay mags?  E2 or previous version!
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 9:01:30 PM EDT
[#36]
The E2 design is only offered in the 30-round version for now.

44Mag.com has the best price on 10-rounders at the moment, $8.99 with free shipping for orders of $45+, but they’re closing their online store, so they only have 9 black and 37 dry film lube left as of now:

Okay magazines at 44Mag.com

Botach is probably the best for 20-rounders with their quantity discount and free shipping.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:10:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I heard right back from the Okay rep. He explained that the E2 was designed to allow rounds to feed more smoothly, with less force, to improve reliability. This was achieved by modifying the feed lips as show in the comparison photo I posted, so that the rounds are easier for the bolt to strip off the top of the stack as it cycles. The E2 was not specifically designed to have the optimized feed angle for M855A1 like the EPM, because the E2 is focused on the commercial market, which won’t have ready access to that type of ammunition. However, as I suspected and described above, he said that the unintended benefit of the new feed lip design was that it allows the rounds to angle up sooner as they are pushed forward. This reduces the effect of pushing the tip of the round into the feed ramp as the round feeds forward, like with a traditional GI mag. I would summarize that, while the E2 may not have been optimaized to feed the M855A1, it is more suited to feeding the A1 smoothly than a standard GI mag. Personally, I would be perfectly comfortable using the E2 mag for A1, but I don’t plan to spend any of my own money to acquire that ammo.
View Quote
Couldn't have said it better myself! 3ACR-Scout has all the right info........circle gets the square.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 2:36:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The E2 design is only offered in the 30-round version for now.

44Mag.com has the best price on 10-rounders at the moment, $8.99 with free shipping for orders of $45+, but they’re closing their online store, so they only have 9 black and 37 dry film lube left as of now:

Okay magazines at 44Mag.com

Botach is probably the best for 20-rounders with their quantity discount and free shipping.
View Quote
44Mag.com is shutting down their online store?! They have been my main source for mags for a long time.

Where did you hear about this?

Edit: I see it's right on their website, very disappointing news... All stock is pretty much gone already.

Just a week ago I was contemplating an order and everything was in stock.
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#39]
A short time ago I ordered some .45 mags from 44mag.  I noticed the new OKay mags and ordered one of each (grey and black) just to see how I liked them.  When the Wife read the confirmed notice from them she said they were going out of business.  Shock!

After reading about concerns about wear on the black ones, I ran each mag in and out of a PWA 10 times last night.  A slight wear pattern on the grey, almost none on the black.  Both empty mags drop free when released.  I like the texture on the sides.

Laid out by the safe just in case I need a mag is an older mag.  It happens to be a '91 OKay, as new condition.  I was showing the Wife how the new ones are better and managed to get the old one to tilt with little trouble.  I've never had any problems with my mags feeding, but I get a little better feeling with the new anti-tilt design.

These mags are available for about $10 on sale and seem like a much better deal than the $7 ones.  I hope to buy some more of the black ones soon.

I hope they update their 20 rounders.  Our home uses the 20s a lot.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:53:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone know if USGI Magpul Ranger Plates will fit on the E2 mags?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:20:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yes, they fit.

I’ve installed Magpul Ranger L plates on mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone know if USGI Magpul Ranger Plates will fit on the E2 mags?
Yes, they fit.

I’ve installed Magpul Ranger L plates on mine.
@PursuitSS

As far as base-plates go, are these your favorites?

I have some of the older style Magpul ones.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Absolutely, I’ve added them to every one of my Okay magazines

https://i.imgur.com/HJEy9dA.jpg

@C-4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As far as base-plates go, are these your favorites?

I have some of the older style Magpul ones.

@C-4
Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

@C-4
View Quote
Can ask what is the purpose of these?  Is it like a base plate on a 1911 that protects the mag when letting them drop free to the ground?  The old ones I could see gave you something to grab to get them out a little quicker.  I've never tried them myself because it looks like they add length without much benefit but I don't know cause I've never really tried them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:59:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:09:20 AM EDT
[#47]
At almost $20 a pop, they don't seem worth it.  Can buy 2 USGI mags for that price.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:35:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
At almost $20 a pop, they don't seem worth it.  Can buy 2 USGI mags for that price.
View Quote
What are you talking about?

Able link above; 10/$95 free shipping. [oops; not E2]

Botach $10/ea for 6, free shipping.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@C-4
View Quote
Found anyone having sales on these...wouldn’t mind trying a few!  Best I found is 3 for $19...seems a little steep at over $6 each.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#50]
@alaskas
Thanks for this post! At this price, I have to try these E2's out
Page / 21
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top