Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 8:43:46 PM EDT
Thinking of picking up some steel Beretta mags while they are on sale.
Anyway, seems I've read that the poly mags like to swell or crack when left loaded for a long time.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Its my opinion that long term storage of loaded magazines should only be GI. Don't care what others do but that's what I do.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:58:35 PM EDT
[#2]
PMags are good to go.

Earlier gen 1s had some issues with splitting, but that was a very small percentage.

They've had one of the first off the line loaded for over 10 years now, its still works and has not had an issue. If you're that concerned put the dust cover on which takes the pressure off the feed lips.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:00:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its my opinion that long term storage of loaded magazines should only be GI. Don't care what others do but that's what I do.
View Quote
I agree.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 3:34:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thinking of picking up some steel Beretta mags while they are on sale.
Anyway, seems I've read that the poly mags like to swell or crack when left loaded for a long time.
View Quote

At that price you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:45:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are metal mags better for leaving loaded over long periods of time?
View Quote

What do you mean by "long period of time"?  

All polymers placed under constant tension will, over time, undergo a permanent dimensional change known as "creep".  For that reason, metal magazines, which do not experience the same molecular slippage would be a better choice for truly long-term storage (i.e. years).  You can get blackened stainless steel magazines from https://www.cdnnsports.com/ for about $12 each.

And I know as soon as I post this, a thousand P-Mag fanboys are going to come roaring in saying "It doesn't happen to P-Mags".  Well, since creep is a phenomenon inherent to polymers and P-Mags are made out of a poymer, unless that P-Mag magically transmogrifies into iron or aluminum when the cartridges are loaded into it, it does.  It doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Store magazines empty and keep the ammo clipped.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quality GI mags should be fine.

I found that PMags are fine as well after digging some out from my father's estate that had been loaded for years. They still had the covers on them but they say they aren't needed now. I put them back in storage with the covers on anyway.

Every Troy mag I pulled out had spread to the point where they would only sort-of go into one rifle with no ammo in the mag.

Lancers, even the early style were also fine.

Keep to mags that are known to be good mags and you will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quality GI mags should be fine.

I found that PMags are fine as well after digging some out from my father's estate that had been loaded for years. They still had the covers on them but they say they aren't needed now. I put them back in storage with the covers on anyway.

Every Troy mag I pulled out had spread to the point where they would only sort-of go into one rifle with no ammo in the mag.

Lancers, even the early style were also fine.

Keep to mags that are known to be good mags and you will be fine.
View Quote
Lancer has always had steel feedlips.Early style , middle style, late style. All the same.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
USGI mags have now been around for 50 or so years.  Polymer probably since  the 80s.  Anyone know of an or lite or thermold left loaded since the 80s???
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lancer has always had steel feedlips.Early style , middle style, late style. All the same.
View Quote
Yes, but the early models had MUCH less steel.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:22:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
USGI mags have now been around for 50 or so years.  Polymer probably since  the 80s.  Anyone know of an or lite or thermold left loaded since the 80s???
View Quote
The orlites all cracked and the thermolds melted.

Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:40:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I leave Pmags, lancers, USGI mags all loaded up without any worries
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top