Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Posted: 12/4/2010 7:50:58 AM EDT
http://www.defensereview.com/dr-exclusive-surefire-60-shot-and-100-shot-ar-ar-15m16-5-56mm-nato-box-magazines-for-infantry-combat-and-tactical-engagements-meet-the-surefire-mag5-60-and-mag5-100-high-capacity-magazines-hcms/

DR Exclusive!: SureFire 60-Shot and 100-Shot AR (AR-15/M16) 5.56mm NATO Box Magazines for Infantry Combat and Tactical Engagements of All Sorts: Meet the SureFire MAG5-60 and MAG5-100 High Capacity Magazines (HCMs)

Link Posted: 12/4/2010 8:13:26 AM EDT
[#1]
That one hundred rounder is insanely long. The sixty rounder seems perfect to be the one in the gun from the start though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 8:21:13 AM EDT
[#2]
that is a nice looking piece of work
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 8:40:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll take one
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 8:54:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jay_57] [#4]
Please list link(s) to specifications and additional information.  In previous post, reference is made to length and I cannot locate dimensions.

The best I can come up with is SureFire 60-Shot and 100-Shot AR (AR-15/M16) 5.56mm NATO Box Magazines for Infantry Combat and Tactical Engagements of All Sorts

Thanks,
Jay

PS:  The site pop-ups make me hear voices
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 9:00:15 AM EDT
[#5]
SureFire High Capacity Magazine Specifications:

SureFire MAG5-60 HCM Specs:
Caliber: 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington
Height: 8.7″ / 22.1 cm
Width: 1.66″ / 4.2 cm
Weight-Empty: 6.4 ounces / 181 grams
Weight-Fully Loaded: 2.02 lbs / 920 grams
Box Material: 6000 Series Aluminum
Follower Material: Nylon
Construction: Spot Welded
Finish: MIL-A-8625 Type III, Class I
Color: Grey
Estimated MSRP: $129

SureFire MAG5-100 HCM Specs:
Height: 12.2″ / 31 cm
Width: 1.66″ / 4.2 cm
Weight-Empty: 9.6 ounces / 272 grams
Weight-Fully Loaded: 3.3 lbs / 1.5 kg
Box Material: 6000 Series Aluminum
Follower Material: Nylon
Construction: Spot Welded
Finish: MIL-A-8625 Type III, Class I
Color: Grey
Estimated MSRP: $179

Standard MILSPEC USGI 30-Round Magazine Specs (data provided by SureFire):
Height: 7.1”
Width: 0.88”
Weight-Empty: 3.9 ounces
Weight-Fully Loaded: 1.06lb/16.9 oz
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Miles_Urbanus,

Is this level of information determined to be company proprietary or generally not for dissemination to the public?  If not, please provide hyperlink(s) to source information.    

Thank you for providing the specifications and MSRP data,
Jay
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 9:55:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Miles_Urbanus] [#7]
Originally Posted By Jay_57:
Miles_Urbanus,

Is this level of information determined to be company proprietary or generally not for dissemination to the public?  If not, please provide hyperlink(s) to source information.    

Thank you for providing the specifications and MSRP data,
Jay

It is in the same article you linked in your post.

http://www.defensereview.com/dr-exclusive-surefire-60-shot-and-100-shot-ar-ar-15m16-5-56mm-nato-box-magazines-for-infantry-combat-and-tactical-engagements-meet-the-surefire-mag5-60-and-mag5-100-high-capacity-magazines-hcms/
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 10:13:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jay_57] [#8]
Miles_Urbanus,

Thank you for the response.

My internet security setting (already allowed site pop-ups) prevents me from viewing anything other than the title.  That is no problem as I am sure these new magazines will be a hot topic for awhile.

Jay
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely love the resurgence of old ideas in new mags with new tech.

I'd love to have a sixty rounder to start out with, but....dang that price. I guess it matches a redi-mod in price though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#10]
How many 30's can I buy for the price of 1 60. Not to mention I can keep the weight on my load bearing harness and not the weapon.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Just in time for the M4's thicker barrel.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By dpmmn:

Originally Posted By GeorgiaBII:

How many 30's can I buy for the price of 1 60. Not to mention I can keep the weight on my load bearing harness and not the weapon.

Estimated MSRP is $129 for the 60-round and $179 for the 100-round
From the article.

...which means you could buy 18 std 30's for the one 60, and 25 std 30's for the 100, at gunshow prices of $7/std 30rd USGI mag.

If I had a NFA-registered M-16, then I could justify these, but I don't.  Imagine slapping the 100 into a closed bolt...I wonder if you have to slap the rifle onto the top of the mag instead...

Link Posted: 12/4/2010 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#14]
The surefire team is rocking them at the ft. Hemming 3 gun.  Pictures have been posted elsewhere.  Might find them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 2:41:52 PM EDT
[#15]
These are for very specific weapons and times.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By WarLord31:

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
Estimated MSRP is $129 for the 60-round and $179 for the 100-round
From the article.

...which means you could buy 18 std 30's for the one 60, and 25 std 30's for the 100, at gunshow prices of $7/std 30rd USGI mag.

If I had a NFA-registered M-16, then I could justify these, but I don't.  Imagine slapping the 100 into a closed bolt...I wonder if you have to slap the rifle onto the top of the mag instead...

It probably is no more/less convenient than a Beta-mag.  

After mil-surp ammo went above 14 cents a round for 5.56, my Beta has collected alot of dust.

TRG
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I was able to handle the 60 & the 100 today.  They feel like fat usgi mags.  The 60 rd mag isn't too long.  The 100rd is Definitefinitely not bench or prone friendly.  The mags do not have anti tilt.followers but i am not sure that is an issue.

The mags have been working without issues for the surefire guys.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 4:42:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: C-S] [#18]
I am sorry but there is not 130-180 dollars worth of labor and material there...

I will wait till someone else produces one and charges a realistic price for it.

I will simply not pay that kind of money for something that uses about 2-3 times the material of a USGI 30-rd mag and similar manufacturing processes.

That is just a joke...
Even with how great the PMAG is... Magpul doesn't gouge the hell out of us for there magazine, despite the fact that if you want a PMAG there is but one choice.

Talk about high way robbery.

ETA: and before a bunch of you get butt hurt and start with the "That is Capitalism it's perfectly okay" BS, I will say, Yes. That is perfectly fine. There are people who will most likely cough up that kind of money because they just gotta have the bragging rights and cool'ness factor at the range.
I'm not saying it's wrong... just saying it's a joke to charge that much for a USGI Mag on Steroids.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By C-S:
I am sorry but there is not 130-180 dollars worth of labor and material there...

I will wait till someone else produces one and charges a realistic price for it.

I will simply not pay that kind of money for something that uses about 2-3 times the material of a USGI 30-rd mag and similar manufacturing processes.

That is just a joke...
Even with how great the PMAG is... Magpul doesn't gouge the hell out of us for there magazine, despite the fact that if you want a PMAG there is but one choice.

ETA: and before a bunch of you get butt hurt and start with the "That is Capitalism it's perfectly okay" BS, I will say, Yes. That is perfectly fine. There are people who will most likely cough up that kind of money because they just gotta have the bragging rights and cool'ness factor at the range.
I'm not saying it's wrong... just saying it's a joke to charge that much for a USGI Mag on Steroids.

I suspect that the MSRP was developed in comparison to drum type feeding devices. Actual street price remains to be seen so I wouldn't get bent out of shape about it, yet.

Link Posted: 12/4/2010 5:56:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Titan_Maximum] [#20]
I talked to the Surefire guys at the match today and these photos were taken and uploaded by a guy on my squad:

So yes, they are Surefire coffin mags . . . .  in the wild!
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#21]
the Question that I have is how is this going to compare to the Magpul coffin mag?

Have any details been released from Magpul?
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#22]

Plus a single 60rd mag takes up more than twice the space as two 30s.

I'm all for new ideas and I'm actually very happy that companies are free to manufacture these things and offer them to the public (unlike during the 1994-2004 ban), but Ive got no complaints myself with the size, weight, and capacity of 30rd magazines. For the price I'd personally rather have a bunch of 30s plus ammo to fill them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 9:06:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack:
These are for very specific weapons and times.

You mean like when you are in combat and need a lot of rounds fast?

You mean like for the IAR and the new M$ sustained fire barrel?

You mean like competition?

This mag has fewer components than the Beta C and is more managable in addition to being sheaper than the Beta C.

Link Posted: 12/4/2010 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#26]
The 60 round would interest me. Looks like a great design it it functions reliably.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#27]
interested in seeing how these work out and how the prices will turn out.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#28]

That is just a joke...

I think there is a little more to it than just '2 to 3 times the material of a USGI magazine.'  There is some serious R&D, and re-design over a standard USGI magazine (if it's anything like the designs of the Magpul I saw a while back).  I assume it took quite a bit of time and effort to design something new, and you pay for it.  Is it expensive?  Ya.  Does Surefire usually make pretty decent stuff, with great CS?  Yup.  It may seem pointless to you, and of no utility, but as a 3-gun shooter, I think it's fantastic, and I can't wait to try one out.

Link Posted: 12/4/2010 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I want one.
Link Posted: 12/4/2010 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#30]
More overpriced crap from Surefire.  Who would have thought.
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 12:47:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By bloodsport2885:

Hopefully Fenix will start producing a more technologically advanced version of this mag for half the price.

Link Posted: 12/5/2010 7:33:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Waveform:

Originally Posted By bloodsport2885:

Hopefully Fenix will start producing a more technologically advanced version of this mag for half the price.

haha...i like it!
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Some reports on the Enos forum that the Surefire guys are running them at the Ft. Benning match this weekend.  Seems they are well made and (so far) completely reliable.
Link Posted: 12/5/2010 5:24:25 PM EDT
[#34]

That is just a joke...

I hope you don't drink Soda, you'd hate to find out the mark up on that.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 9:12:18 AM EDT
[#35]
Another article

I agree the price can't possibly be proportionate to the parts & labor. I'm guessing they're going to make up the money from R&D by selling them at this price to the military. We the tax payers love paying over-inflated prices for something that isn't worth half as much as we're being charged.

In that article they do point out the reliability of these compare to CMags... whether it's true or not I have no idea. I'd like to see a runthrough of about 1000 rounds side by side and see which one dies first.

The 60 is sweet... the 100 is retarded. That thing probably weighs as much as the rifle itself when it's loaded. LOL.

What's the MagPul coffin mag? I haven't heard anything about that.

So if these things take off I guess there's going to be a demand for mag pouches and carrier vests and such that'll accommodate these monsters. I know there are a few people here that are sewing machine savvy. Might wanna get a jump on this one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 9:50:31 AM EDT
[#36]
I may get one.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 10:00:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
Another article

I agree the price can't possibly be proportionate to the parts & labor. I'm guessing they're going to make up the money from R&D by selling them at this price to the military. We the tax payers love paying over-inflated prices for something that isn't worth half as much as we're being charged.

In that article they do point out the reliability of these compare to CMags... whether it's true or not I have no idea. I'd like to see a runthrough of about 1000 rounds side by side and see which one dies first.

The 60 is sweet... the 100 is retarded. That thing probably weighs as much as the rifle itself when it's loaded. LOL.

What's the MagPul coffin mag? I haven't heard anything about that.

So if these things take off I guess there's going to be a demand for mag pouches and carrier vests and such that'll accommodate these monsters. I know there are a few people here that are sewing machine savvy. Might wanna get a jump on this one.

Their construction is a bit more complex than the much simpler (by comparison) 30 round mags and, as you've mentioned, recouping the R&D, tooling, and promotion all factor into the equation for pricing along with the uniqueness and rarity of the product in the market place. Personally I don't see these replacing all the 30's for a load out. Maybe one in the gun and a spare with the rest being the more traditional set up. Recharging the weapon would be faster and more efficient with the 30's I'd think.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 10:03:28 AM EDT
[#38]
I would assume that this design is the same as a BETA but linear.  If you unrolled the BETA it would be the 100rd mag.
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#39]
The way the article reads it more or less makes it sound like this is the mag you want when you first make contact and engage an enemy force. You have more ammo to throw down range initially which saves reload time.

I've never been in the situation so I don't know. I've watched shows of guys down range and I see a lot of what looks to be spray and pray. Would this just enforce that discipline whereas with a standard 30rnd mag you would need to make every shot count?
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#40]
The way the article reads it more or less makes it sound like this is the mag you want when you first make contact and engage an enemy force. You have more ammo to throw down range initially which saves reload time.

I've never been in the situation so I don't know. I've watched shows of guys down range and I see a lot of what looks to be spray and pray. Would this just enforce that discipline whereas with a standard 30rnd mag you would need to make every shot count?

I don't know either. As I said, I'm just guessing. It seems that is the intent though, to have alot of rounds on hand to either get out of something or start something when they go looking for them. I'm assuming the gun is more awkward to handle and manipulate than with a 30 so, again, the assumption was after the initial start of the bullit exchange you'd want to be in a position to put more accurate fire faster on your opponent (the 30s being easier to do so than with that hunk of bullet storage hanging underneath it). I'm justa guessin'.... (sponge bob squarepants watchin' guy who owns an AR or two).

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By Kihn:

I don't know either. As I said, I'm just guessing. It seems that is the intent though, to have alot of rounds on hand to either get out of something or start something when they go looking for them. I'm assuming the gun is more awkward to handle and manipulate than with a 30 so, again, the assumption was after the initial start of the bullit exchange you'd want to be in a position to put more accurate fire faster on your opponent (the 30s being easier to do so than with that hunk of bullet storage hanging underneath it). I'm justa guessin'.... (sponge bob squarepants watchin' guy who owns an AR or two).

Not only that...but the police.

Officers who just grab the rifle in a hurry, don't have time to grab pouches or whatever if the need arises. Sixty rounds with the weapon already.

Link Posted: 12/6/2010 5:59:34 PM EDT
[#42]
didn't magpul apply for a patent of such a quadstack magazine? copied from the ak200 style magazine?

will all the fuckery in the gun business, i'm sure there will be some sparks

i like the idea though, 60 in the gun, may not have time to grab extra mags
Link Posted: 12/6/2010 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 3:08:56 AM EDT
[#44]
so if MSRP is $129, street price will be closer to $100, maybe even less.

I want one of the 60s!
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By WantsAnRRA:
so if MSRP is $129, street price will be closer to $100, maybe even less.

I want one of the 60s!

That'd be great, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but it seems like most SF products have a MAP that dealers won't go below, and its usually MSRP.  But, who knows.

Link Posted: 12/7/2010 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Will Purchase.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 9:19:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wobblin-Goblin] [#48]

That appears to be spot-on, especially with the mods to the M-4 and the new Marine auto that's being kicked around.

ETA: I actually kinda like the looks and concept of the 60...but the 100 looks retarded, heavy, and unwieldy.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#49]
I'd definitely buy a 60.
Link Posted: 12/7/2010 9:39:53 PM EDT
[#50]
The 60 rounder is intriguing.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 12
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top