Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 1:43:55 PM EDT
I am looking at buying 10-20 ar mags from 44mag.com and i have been told that the magpul followers make them more reliable... is this true?
is it worth the 2$ per mag increase in price?
i am new to ar's  and am just now putting my first RRA M4 together, so all advice is appreciated.
thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like mine. There is just no way the follower can tip/flip no matter how much you bang them around. Me and my buddy had a few issues with some mags sporting the old green followers. When I say few I mean maybe one FTF the whole day out of hundreds of rounds. Its was not just one mag but all of them would at some point cause a jam. After we put in the new gen1's and gen2's the problems went away and neither one of us has had the problem since. I think it was well worth the couple bucks as all my mags now have Magpul followers. If you have a few bucks just buy one pack and give it a try.

This is a touchy subject so there might be a little of bickering. Its not a question of if Magpul makes a nice follower, the bickering comes from the question of IF you even need it. You have my personal review.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:43:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The green followers are fine and have a low failure rate and are military issue but the Magpulls are a definite improvement.  Just get one and install it on a mag and load it up by hand and you will see, and feel, the more positive feed....IMHO.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Do your magazines have any problems now?  

Mine didnt, and I still replaced them.  For piece of mind, yes I feel it was worth the extra cost...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#4]
First of all I do not buy that the Mag-Pul make them more reliable, not with GI mags in 5.56 anyway.  With tens of thousands of rounds of 5.56 down range with GI mags and never a problem, how can the MP follower make it more reliable?  However, you have got to love the anti-tilt feature of the follwers and I have switched all of my shooting mags over to MP followers.  My C&R license lets me get them from Brownells for a measly $5.09 per 3 so WTF.  
Where they really shine IMO is on the .458 SOCOM.  Many times when loading the mags I have tipped the GI follower and jambed them up.  Since you must slide the .458 SOCOM round in from the front, if you get in too big a hurry on the first round you will tip the green follower down, and I have done it quite a few times.  The MP follower prevents that.  So far I have bought about 70 MP followers and have used about 50 in replacements.  They are well worth the money IMO especially if you shoot the .458 SOCOM and .500 Phantom.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
well for only 2$ more i think i will buy my first 10 or so mags with the magpul follower, and the other 10 usgi standard ones.
if neither have issues i will go with the cheaper of the 2, just to be economical.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:54:07 PM EDT
[#6]
To me the green followers are just a very slightly modified black follower.  The color was the most revolutionary thing about them.  I'm going 100% Magpul followers with my USGI 30 rounders...

TS
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:43:33 AM EDT
[#7]
All 34 of my 30rd mags have Magpul gen II gray followers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:03:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I had my first green follower tilt, and a feed failure last sunday.
Not bad after about 10.000 rounds
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got 10 of the gen2 greys MP followers. Never have any problems with the black or greens. but thr MP are neat. They can`t tilt, and you dont have to shoe horn them in. I can`t comment on function yet, until i try them for myself.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:02:01 PM EDT
[#10]
All my mags have 1st Gen CB followers and I love them; the mags feed smoothly and they rattle less whn loaded. Tested them all and they work flawlessly.

Why is it that these followers are not standard on all M16 magazines is a mystery to me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Anybody notice if their mags rattled after installing gen 2 followers?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anybody notice if their mags rattled after installing gen 2 followers?

None of mine so far...

TS
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the magpul ones and have not had any problems at all with them.  They seem to work as advertised. I want to try the new ones but the ones I have seem to be doing okay so I think I will use them until I buy more mags.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:39:38 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why is it that these followers are not standard on all M16 magazines is a mystery to me.

I would guess cheaper to use the green ones, and plain old bureaucratic inertia. Apparently there have been some govt orders, according to Magpul. Don't know which agencies though...maybe Magpul could say who is using them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:33:34 AM EDT
[#15]
are they worth it?

I think so, I have them in all of mine, I revamp the ones that are issued to me as soon as I get the issued mags.

Peacwe of mind is worth way more then 2 bucks a piece, (but dont tell them that)
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top