Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 5:57:12 AM EDT
We got some new mags in.

They look like the regular mags, but these come in white boxes, 1 mag to a box.  The box says, Magazine, cartridge high perforance-select 1 ea.  some numbers blah nothing that looks like an NSN.  Forgot the maker, too lazy to get up and look at it. Anything special with these that I can't see?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]
H+K mags

Here is one of the many threads about them HK mags

I was given 6 of them for Christmas and I like them.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#2]
He says they look like regular mags so probably the high reliability Okay Industries mags with the chrome silicon springs that were contracted by some units a while back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Could be,my HKs came in a white box with the exact same wording,but maybe that's standard.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Could be,my HKs came in a white box with the exact same wording,but maybe that's standard.

Never seen the boxes for the HK mags before so that would make sense.  Somebody in supply played the old switch-a-roo-ski and swapped out the HK mags for aluminum mags.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:25:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Regular Okay Industries mags come in a white box, so I imagine that their "high reliability" mags would too.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#6]
My HK mags came in an HK marked plastic bag.  My Okay mags came in a white box...

TS
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:46:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
He says they look like regular mags so probably the high reliability Okay Industries mags with the chrome silicon springs that were contracted by some units a while back.

Yes, I think you are correct.  Thanks.  Just wanted to know what made them "high performance select".  We have the H+K mags too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I think you are correct.  Thanks.  Just wanted to know what made them "high performance select".  We have the H+K mags too.

I believe the spring in the army purchased "high-reliability" is std USGI stainless.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I believe the spring in the army purchased "high-reliability" is std USGI stainless.

Do you know what the differences between 'high performance' and regular are, if not the spring?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you know what the differences between 'high performance' and regular are, if not the spring?

I figured it most have been the spring, I pulled the Usgi mag and these new mags and didn't notice a difference.  Then I had some asshole say to me that nothing was different between them but I know it had something to do with the spring.  To answrer your quesion,,  not unless you feel comtribul rating the usgi mags the Amry are feedinng down my throut.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:03:14 AM EDT
[#11]
The " high reliability "  Okay mags contracted my the military will have a different NSN number if is on the box. The springs will also have a red ( ish ) tint parkerizing which will make it visibly different than the USGI standard stainless spring.

Full-Auto
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Okay "high-Reliability" mags are claimed to be held to tighter dimensional tolerance than regular production. Personally, I don't buy-in to the theory of improved reliability on this basis.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:13:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what are your thoughts on the HK mags?

TS
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what are your thoughts on the HK mags?

TS

The performance of H&K mags is lot to lot dependant.  I know of a Marine Battalion that replaced almost all its mags with HKs that now is having fits as it is going through its MOCS (Mission Oriented COmbat SHooting) course of fire.  The H&K Maritime finish, Gen IIs are giving allot of double feeds, like 4-5 per shooter per ever 210 rounds fired and some cases with M4s like a dozen plus.  The A4s seem to less problems than the M4s, but they are causing allot of head aches.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:44:20 AM EDT
[#15]
H&K mag problems?......Might want to check my comments here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=264971

The red "tint" on an Okay mag spring is a a result of finishing the stainless steel spring they contain.

I highly encourage military users of H&K steel mags who have issues with them to to submit QDRs.

Hotgun
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#16]

The red "tint" on an Okay mag spring is a a result of finishing the stainless steel spring they contain.

Hotgun

Just found the article. SAW used to sell the Okay Industries high reliability magazines. This is their description on the website and the red spring I spoke of which is not the same as a GI stainless spring. It is just reading trivia as I havent seen many of these in circulation.

13 NOV 03 - The Famous “Red Spring”

Extreme Duty, Extended Life, 28 Rd Magazine Spring for COLT/USGI “30 Rd” M16 Mags — SA09002

This unique & highly cost-effective spring is manufactured exclusively by Specialized Armament. As the backbone of any US “30 Rd” M16 magazine, the Red Spring will outperform & outlast many newer “chrome-silicon” springs costing 75%-100% more!

About The Red Spring

Original Design Objectives (1992):

Develop a new generation spring for the COLT/USGI “30 Rd” magazine with a 50% increase in load rating and a maximum service life to be used in conjunction with the improved military follower (green).

Goals:
Significantly decrease or eliminate magazine related malfunctions in COLT M16 series weapons.
Allow mags to be left loaded or used operationally for extremely long periods.
Accomplish A & B without creating a prohibitively expensive product.
Material: Special production steel (certified)

Components: Iron, Carbon, Vanadium, Manganese, Chromium, Nickel, Molybdenum, Silicon, Phosphorus, Sulfur, Titanium, Copper, Nitrogen

Required Minimum Purchase: 3000-5000 lbs

Delivery Time: 8-10 months
The Red Spring was actually designed, engineered and manufactured by 3 different companies: Specialized Armament, a small steel manufacturer, and a spring company normally involved in automotive and racing products. The end result is a fantastic spring that we are all proud of, being used around the world.

Contrary to popular myth, the red surface coating is an industrial dye used for identification purposes only—It is not a rust inhibitor; it is not paint; it has no magical properties; and it will wear off eventually or chip away over time. The ID color is only present to help avoid confusion with other springs.

“Maximum Capacity:” All enhanced “30 Rd” magazines sold by Specialized Armament use the Red Spring and green follower. These mags should only be loaded to 28 rounds (twenty-eight, two-eight, achtundzwanzig, vente y ocho, etc).

The Red Spring was engineered with an operating capacity of 28 Rds and it needs the extra space to function correctly with a higher load rating. (Yes, the other 2 rds can be forced into the mag without damage—take them out) It’s all about reliability.

How long will the Red Spring last? We really do not know the answer. For past 12+ yrs, several of us (and friends) have been testing (abusing) original proto-types and they just keep going. A couple years ago we chop-sawed an original spring in half, put both pieces back into a mag and it is still functioning! No, we do not guarantee this!

The Red Spring’s ultimate purpose is to enhance the basic reliability of COLT .223/5.56mm rifles and carbines in all situations.

(The Spring Team)

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:46:02 AM EDT
[#17]
If this is the case, for the "SAW" mags (may have non-OEM components - spring), don't confuse these with the "High Reliability" Okay Mags produced and purchased by the military a couple years ago.
Hotgun
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:40:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quality Deficiency Reports are being submitted on the H&K and all the MWSs, all the M4/M5 RASs were installed incorrectly by Albany (not sure if it would be a true QDR since, it was the USMC depot that didn't place the front leaf spring under the hand guard cap.), most stocks of the stocks for the FN produced A4 MWS are working loose, the receiver end plate joint doesn't have the old divot in it so the stock cannot be tightened enough to keep them from turning slightly when force is applied.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:14:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quality Deficiency Reports are being submitted on the H&K and all the MWSs, all the M4/M5 RASs were installed incorrectly by Albany (not sure if it would be a true QDR since, it was the USMC depot that didn't place the front leaf spring under the hand guard cap.), most stocks of the stocks for the FN produced A4 MWS are working loose, the receiver end plate joint doesn't have the old divot in it so the stock cannot be tightened enough to keep them from turning slightly when force is applied.  

Thanks for the update on magazines and other issues.
It's fairly comon to see rails installed incorrectly. You'll soon see rails  having a tab on the leaf to prevent installing over the cap.
Not sure about the stock problem. There is a pocket in the receiver for a "bump" on the stock to fit. Some play is normal here. Generally the stocks work loose over time, especially if they've been dissassembled & not reassembled using a new screw. The screw has a locking compound. However, it's possible the pocket or stock could have a defect. certainly worth inquiring.

Best,
Hotgun
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top