Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/8/2006 1:35:53 AM EDT
Under FAQ: Mag Brand Rankings these are 2nd Tier. I see they are last on the list. I only have 2,30 round Bushy Mags and the factory 10 round. As you can see I need more mags. I found some Used Orlite mags for about $6.00. They are used but look in decent shape. Should I bother with these.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:41:57 AM EDT
You could do a search, but I'll give you the short answer. They're OK as range mags, but I would not trust them with my life. Feed lips develop cracks, eventually resulting in double feeds b/c of insufficient tension. Some others have reported that they have had no cracks develop. They must be kept scrupulously clean.

I bought about 20 back during the ban, and am just burning them up in the M16s. I run them till I get a double feed........then it's garbage heap time. I have never had an Orlite that did not develop cracks in 10 dumps or less..........one man's experience. Take it for what it's worth.

At $6/per for used they're not a bargain vs D&H mags at $11/new.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:01:34 AM EDT
I do very much appreciate you sharing your experience with with these mags. $6 is not alot of money but I do not want to throw my hard earned money away.

hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:50:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Samuel_Hoggson:
You could do a search, but I'll give you the short answer. They're OK as range mags, but I would not trust them with my life. Feed lips develop cracks, eventually resulting in double feeds b/c of insufficient tension. Some others have reported that they have had no cracks develop. They must be kept scrupulously clean.

I bought about 20 back during the ban, and am just burning them up in the M16s. I run them till I get a double feed........then it's garbage heap time. I have never had an Orlite that did not develop cracks in 10 dumps or less..........one man's experience. Take it for what it's worth.

At $6/per for used they're not a bargain vs D&H mags at $11/new.

Sam

Orlites are to USGI mags what Wolf ammo is to USGI ammo on this board. You will hear loads of people praise how these mags are almost as good as USGI mags and never had a problem. While others will say they are junk with crappy feedlips.

Ive never had one of these break a feed lip. They always feed and function great. They arent as durable as USGI mags but IMO work just as good.

But bottom line is you can now get brand new USGI mags for around $10 each. Spend the extra $4 and get the best, why fiddle with something that may be second rate when you can spend just a little more and get the best?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:53:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Elijah:
Under FAQ: Mag Brand Rankings these are 2nd Tier. I see they are last on the list. I only have 2,30 round Bushy Mags and the factory 10 round. As you can see I need more mags. I found some Used Orlite mags for about $6.00. They are used but look in decent shape. Should I bother with these.

My experience with the Orlites thus far has been pretty good.

They feed every round and I haven't had the lip-cracking issue.

+1 though on the fact that it's the Wolf of mags...some people don't have problems, some people hate them, but nobody truly raves about them for any reason other than their price.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:58:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:08:03 PM EDT
I have one Orlite and while I only used it a handful of times, it worked fine.

I also have two of the Thermolds, and those actually worked really well. They look ugly, but work great.

I don't have an M-16, so I don't know how well they'd hold up in full auto fire.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:28:10 PM EDT
During the ban, I worked at a gunstore. We were selling Orlites at $14 and USGIs for about $30. I have seen hundreds of each. I would say that Orlites are 4 to 5 times more likey to break or develop other problems.

For my money, it's USGI all the way. I do have a couple thermold mags, but they just sit in the back of the mag box.

Go, USGI, you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:51:39 PM EDT
I bought about 4 used Orlites. There are great mags . . .

<­BR>

. . . to practice failure drills.

Seriously all 4 were total crap. The ban is over by USGI!
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:48:44 PM EDT
I bought six Orlites during the ban when used USGI 30's were in the $30 range. I still have them...somewhere...but they are a distant last choice when I think about which magazines to take to the range, and I damn sure wouldn't use them for serious social purposes.
Top Top