Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 2:10:19 PM EDT
My wife got me 7 new USGI magazines. I am looking for some advice on how to number them. What do Y'all  do? When I was on active duty I used 100 MPHtape and a sharpie but that was kinda sloppy.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Engrave the floorplates, or use a stencil and paint numberson them.  Some guys used a label maker, might work if you had access to one.  Myself I wouldn't buy a label maker to mark mags, and I have several hundred mags for various makes of weapons.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Sharpie handwriting down the front edge... easy to see and reversible. Who cares if it looks crap.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:55:21 PM EDT
[#3]
With my AR mags?

Well, I pretty much don't use my old "preban" mags anymore.   So the rest of my mags were all (well, except 4) purchased in the same batch, and they have all been identical in function.  No need to number them yet.  I ordered some new ones from 44Mag yesterday since the price was right.  Haven't decided yet what to do, but I'm guessing my floor plates will still be different (Previous batch had Bravo Company, and the 4 others have BM).

As for pistols?  Well, that's a different forum but they have different capacities or different manufacturer, so it's a non issue as well.

Sharpie works well.  Just do it on a non-wear area, and if it wears, reapply as needed.  Engraving works good, but do it right.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:06:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I think it's really rude to number your mags.

Your life may depend on them some day.
Name them...like "Gloria", "Jane" or "Beth"...or of course..."maggie"

Don't just treat your mags like a "number"!  

(this is why one should not drink and post...)
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think it's really rude to number your mags.

Your life may depend on them some day.
Name them...like "Gloria", "Jane" or "Beth"...or of course..."maggie"

Don't just treat your mags like a "number"!  

(this is why one should not drink and post...)

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#6]

When I was on active duty I used 100 MPHtape and a sharpie but that was kinda sloppy.

and it worked for your then did it not....... don't mess with success just to be fashionable...  

but if you must be a slave to fashion (God Knows I am from time to time) I use a Old Military stencil and spray paint a number on each side of the mag. for Pistol mags I use a Paint Pen that you can buy at a Hobby/craft/Model Store.

I like the stencil look, looks so GI and dress right dress.......
I'ver seen guys use China(Grease) Markers
Paint Pens
Tape (different colors)
Sharpies
Some guys put their Initials and a Number, I use just a number to identify poor performing mags and weed them out. I figure if its a GI Mag with Black spraypainted stencil #'s with an OD green Magpul and a Green follower on it, it's mine, so gets your paws of it.....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I like the stencil idea. Google is being difficult though. Any ideas on where to find one with number heights of 1 inch?
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 5:30:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I use the different colors of electricians tape to mark them visually for different loadings.  Works good.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#9]
For Teflon mags, clean with alcohol, and then write on the front edge with a Sharpie.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 4:33:16 PM EDT
[#10]
1" stencil from WalMart, tan Krylon.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Different colored magpuls for different loads in the mags
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#12]
the only way I have ever marked mine is by carving an X in them with a sharp object to show that they didnt function very well..    I guess I need to start numbering them and make a log just for the hell of it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Stickers on the floor plates..

Like the idea of the stencil and krylon though, might try that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:09:36 AM EDT
[#14]
engrave a number into the floorplate.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:01:36 AM EDT
[#15]
I use a labelmaker. When the tape wears out, just print another one. It's worked well for the past few years.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:02:19 AM EDT
[#16]
One of two ways for marking them permanently. Neither way offers ID from casual observation without looking directly at the floorplate.
1) Use an electric engraver to make any ID mark you want anywhere you want. I prefer the floorplate.  If you do it real carefully, they will look good.  If you want contrast, you can use the correction fluid or fingernail polish (color is your choice) to fill in the engraving (spread some on and wipe off, quickly). Or,
2) You must have a piece of really hard and smooth steel as an anvil surface to do this one. If the surface is really smooth, you can use the anvil part of a vise. I use a section from an old truck leaf spring. It HAS to be very hard to prevent distortion of the floorplate! Remove floorplates from mag. You can use either a manual (requires small ball pien hammer) or an automatic (like a spring loaded center punch) alpha/numeric die type set.  I prefer the manual one as I can better control the die. Stamp in the markings of your choice.  Again, if you want to contrast the stamped markings, use the contrast fluid of your choice.

One nice thing about using the floorplates is that if you screw up, you can fix it cheap.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Mine are BAR CODED! I mount the portable Scanner on my rail system!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Ain't technology great or what?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Fingernail polish down the back (so I can see it when its in the rifle)

Living with 5 (soon to be 6) women has its perks...............................this just ain't one of 'em.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#20]
This mag is in the Beta test phase!

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=2597&iGalleryUnq=924&iImageUnq=44053

when will they be available in the EE?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Now that's funny!

I use only 2 loads....M193, and 75 Gn TAP.

So, I put a Dyna Label on the front part of the mag that says either "55 gn." or "75 Gn." These are SHTF mags, so those labels are on mags that are in Pouches that are on duty gear. Actually, all of the mags on the vest and in leg carriers are for "Gettin out of town" and are hence 75 gn. loads.

YMMV,

Tack
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Quoted:

when will they be available in the EE?

This one is available for 87 dollars!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Brother Label Maker

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top