Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
In the future mags and ammo will be used a currency.

+1,000,000
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In the future mags and ammo will be used a currency.

+1,000,000

+1,000.001

Danny
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am new to AR rifles, but not new to guns. I have 12 mags for my G35 that I shoot in competition: 7 ten rounders and 5 fifteen rounders. I recently ordered 10 thirty rounders for my Bushmaster, but I read about guys/gals? who never seem to get enough. Do you really shoot enough to need 30 or 40 or more mags. No flame intended...maybe I just don't get it, but what's the need for more than 10 or so?

So when a mag goes to shit you have a replacement for it right away. Like for instance I have 20 mags for my AR, currently I have 4 of those mags that are not properly funtioning, and I keep 12 loaded an in my vest ready no matter what. If all I had was 12 mags, well I'd be 4 mags short of a full loadout. But instead I am able to just pull the damaged mags and replace them in the vest and still be GTG.

Pretty simple to me. You can never have to many mags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Mags are like Sex... Some are content with a little, others can't get enough

Size matters...How large is your "stack".

FB
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Up here in the Great White North, where AR mags must by law be pinned to 5 rounds max capacity, extra mags are a must....LOTS of them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:50:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have any mags.  They seemed to have all fallen outta the boat with my rifles
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:56:26 AM EDT
[#7]
www.green-mountain-gear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=337  This site for BETA mags at green mountain says USGI mags only last 40 cycles of use.  Is this the case and are the USGI verses BETA claims true?  Has any study gone to actually determining mag life?  Has Troy posted anything on this subject? Many thanks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
www.green-mountain-gear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=337  This site for BETA mags at green mountain says USGI mags only last 40 cycles of use.  Is this the case and are the USGI verses BETA claims true?  Has any study gone to actually determining mag life?  Has Troy posted anything on this subject? Many thanks.

Smells like BS to me,... Figure your mags had seen 400 cycles before you even put a hand on them and you get the picture.  Counting SA80's, Thermolds, Orilites, 20 rounder USGI's im prolly up around 100 Mags. Alot to some, just a start to many.
Why so many, Well 1: I hate loading mags! I like to keep 2 cases of xm193 in rotation at all times, It takes a few Mags to do that, And 2:Becuase I cant help myself
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Alot of folks have mags that they keep loaded and want to be able to swap out the "ready mags."  Plus what everyone else has sai.. The .gov has shown their willingness to ban mags, so I want to have alot.  I don't hqave nearly as many as most of these folks though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm thinking of the next generation... Unlike my Dad.  If he'd have saved me some of the AR mags he was buying @ $2 a pop by the 100 ct case in the early 80's, I would be too busy fondling the stacks of mags rather than looking for more to purchase.

My formula is that for each weapon I own, I should have half again the value of the weapon in mags.  ie, $800 AR x 50% = 40 mags @ $10-11 per mags +/-.  Your needs may vary.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:15:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I consider 2 x your basic load in mags (rounded up) for each rifle a good STARTING point.  If you expect to carry 10 maqgs ou should have 20, at the least.  If you have two ARs you should have 40.  That's about where I am now, but would like that to be matched by new in the wrapper mags.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 92 thirty round mags & 2 twenty round mags.

I still don't think I have near enough!

Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I was at home sick all day yesterday, so I did what I usually do when I'm sick, stuck in the house, and don't feel like getting out or doing anything else - I cleaned guns and magazines.

One task I had been putting off for a while was cleaning my AR mags and checking/upgrading mag parts (springs, followers, floorplates).  If I hadn't seen this thread the other day, it probably never would have crossed my mind to stack them up together and take a picture.  As it is...

Other than the loaded USGI mags that are with my "travelling ARs" in cases in our various vehicles, I believe these are all of my AR mags.  I discovered several things looking at them all together like this:

1.  I don't have quite as many USGIs as I thought I did... I'll have to get on that!  

2.  I have more "FrankenMags" for my 7.62x39mm ARs than I thought... can't imagine how that happened.  

3.  I have more Thermolds & Orlites than I realized... again

4.  I had quite a few mags that needed "freshening up" - I got on that right after I took the picture.

ETA:  BTW, the few USA mags (yeah, I know ) in the front/center are loaded with 5.45x39mm for my .21 Genghis AR (that's the short factory "Genghis" mag on top of the USAs).  Believe it or not, I have discovered that they work pretty well in that application (once you go through a bunch & find a few with decent feed-lips).  Go figure...
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
This site for BETA mags at green mountain says USGI mags only last 40 cycles of use.  Is this the case and are the USGI verses BETA claims true?  Has any study gone to actually determining mag life?  Has Troy posted anything on this subject? Many thanks.

I believe the Mil. states they are good for 2k rds each mag.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I was at home sick all day yesterday, so I did what I usually do when I'm sick, stuck in the house, and don't feel like getting out or doing anything else - I cleaned guns and magazines.

One task I had been putting off for a while was cleaning my AR mags and checking/upgrading mag parts (springs, followers, floorplates).  If I hadn't seen this thread the other day, it probably never would have crossed my mind to stack them up together and take a picture.  As it is...

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=30803

Other than the loaded USGI mags that are with my "travelling ARs" in cases in our various vehicles, I believe these are all of my AR mags.  I discovered several things looking at them all together like this:

1.  I don't have quite as many USGIs as I thought I did... I'll have to get on that!  

2.  I have more "FrankenMags" for my 7.62x39mm ARs than I thought... can't imagine how that happened.  

3.  I have more Thermolds & Orlites than I realized... again

4.  I had quite a few mags that needed "freshening up" - I got on that right after I took the picture.

Hey, are those 9mm AR mags on the right there?  I'm needing a loader, what's that one you have there, and do you like it?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Hey, are those 9mm AR mags on the right there?  I'm needing a loader, what's that one you have there, and do you like it?

The mags on the extreme front right are Sten mags (for my OA 9mm AR) and the device to the left of them is a SOCOM Block for use in an unmodified AR lower.  I have (not pictured) an old-style steel loader for Sten mags, but I don't like it and haven't found a good, easy way to load them to capacity.  Generic plunger-type loaders work to some extent.  The mags to the left of the Stens, above the block, are Sten mags with the permanent OA modification for use without a block - I tend to prefer these, although they take up more space in transport and there is also no easy way to load them either (LULAs don't work).

ETA:  I don't have a "Colt-style" 9mm AR.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The mags on the extreme front right are Sten mags (for my OA 9mm AR) and the device to the left of them is a SOCOM Block for use in an unmodified AR lower.  I have (not pictured) an old-style steel loader for Sten mags, but I don't like it and haven't found a good, easy way to load them to capacity.  Generic plunger-type loaders work to some extent.  The mags to the left of the Stens, above the block, are Sten mags with the permanent OA modification for use without a block - I tend to prefer these, although they take up more space in transport and there is also no easy way to load them either (LULAs don't work).

ETA:  I don't have a "Colt-style" 9mm AR.

OK...my new build-in-progress is a Colt, and the mags are real thumb-busters to load.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top