Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2003 9:50:52 PM EDT
Picked up some orlite mags super cheap, I would like to refinish them but not sure with what kind of paint...if any to use.  My friend recommended using the spray paint that you use to repaint grills, the paint says that it will withstand 1200 degrees of heat. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
thanks all
Link Posted: 9/12/2003 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The things are black polymer all the way through. Why would they need refinishing?

I don't know of any paint that would adhere well to an Orlite. BBQ paint would be a poor choice. It's thin and doesn't cover or adhere well. You don't need heat resistance in this application. You need adhesion and abrasion resistance.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#2]
You can try the BBQ paint, but you really need to sand the mags properly before painting.

I wouldn't worry about what kind of paint, because the paint will probably last longer then the mags. [;)]
Link Posted: 9/13/2003 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Krylon makes a new type of paint called Fusion made to paint plastics. I have used some at work and it is some good stuff.

Link Posted: 9/13/2003 11:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 9:08:07 AM EDT
[#5]
They're plastic. Use VERY fine wet dry, and wet sand, using increasingly finer grits, til it looks good wet. Then finish with non gel toothpaste. If they're like most of the "well loved" orlites I've seen lately, this should consume most of a weekend, per mag.

Or don't waste time and accecept that an ugly mag can work as well as a good mag.

Buying USGI mags IS highly reccomended. I own Orlites, Thermolds, Eagles, and some other funky, junky plastic mags. if I'm having to shoot for reliability, I take the USGI mags, and leave the others at home.

Meplat-
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top