Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/3/2003 1:47:31 PM EDT
I have some mags that were painted(I don't know the type of paint), can I use Acetone to remove it safely? I plan to refinish them with Permasilk.

Thanks Brad
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:51:03 PM EDT
I had the same thing on some mags I refinished. I took a stiff wire brush and scratched the paint up real good and then soaked the mags in Laquer thinner until it came off. I then took the fine steel wool to them, washed and dried them and refinished them to perfection. MM419
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:19:26 AM EDT
I know that CLR will remove the bluing, don't know about pain. though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:35:40 AM EDT
Had some Sten mags with paint, used Simple Green full strength and soaked them out in sun for a couple days, hosed off good to go.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:36:53 PM EDT
Break cleaner or rubbing alchohol will take if off real good. When I was in the Navy we painted the lowers of our range magazines, all we used was white paint from a spray can.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:02:07 AM EDT
Ditto on the Simple Green. That stuff is great.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:17:16 AM EDT
If you're worried about the finish underneath (anodizing, or other non paint) try soaking em in brake fluid (not cleaner).It's not quick, but you can leave em soaking for a long time, and come back to find the paint coming off like a second skin. No damge to the finish underneath. Be sure to remove plastic parts just in case.. Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:01:42 PM EDT
Easy.. Methylene chloride based stripper. Brush them all then wrap together in wet newspaper and set aside for a day. Wash in hot water. Wear gloves if you like your skin.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:22:38 PM EDT
hydroflouric acid!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:49:41 PM EDT
hydroflouric acid!
View Quote
hmmmmm....[:\] jk I think I'll try the Simple Green...Should I go over them with a wire brush first?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:52:27 PM EDT
I guess.... if you still want the mag body intact, that might be the way to go.
Top Top