Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2003 1:47:31 PM EDT
I have some mags that were painted(I don't know the type of paint), can I use Acetone to remove it safely? I plan to refinish them with Permasilk.

Thanks Brad
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 1:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same thing on some mags I refinished. I took a stiff wire brush and scratched the paint up real good and then soaked the mags in Laquer thinner until it came off. I then took the fine steel wool to them, washed and dried them and refinished them to perfection.

MM419
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:19:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I know that CLR will remove the bluing, don't know about pain. though.
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Had some Sten mags with paint, used Simple Green full strength and soaked them out in sun for a couple days, hosed off good to go.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Break cleaner or rubbing alchohol will take if off real good. When I was in the Navy we painted the lowers of our range magazines, all we used was white paint from a spray can.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Ditto on the Simple Green. That stuff is great.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#6]
If you're worried about the finish underneath (anodizing, or other non paint) try soaking em in brake fluid (not cleaner).It's not quick, but you can leave em soaking for a long time, and come back to find the paint coming off like a second skin. No damge to the finish underneath.

Be sure to remove plastic parts just in case..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Easy..
Methylene chloride based stripper. Brush them all then wrap together in wet newspaper and  set aside for a day. Wash in hot water. Wear gloves if you like your skin.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#8]
hydroflouric acid!
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
hydroflouric acid!
View Quote

hmmmmm....[:\] jk

I think I'll try the Simple Green...Should I go over them with a wire brush first?
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess.... if you still want the mag body intact, that might be the way to go.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top