Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/27/2016 2:15:29 PM EDT
Is this decent practice ammo? I'm talking specifically about this stuff....

From what I can gather, this is basically a repackaged version of Barnaul's "Silver Bear" ammunition without the red primer sealant. What interests me about this ammo is the fact that it chronographs at almost the exact same velocities of the Fusion MSR 62 grain loads I use for defensive purposes. So in theory, it should be a pretty close match ballistics wise to the trajectory of the Fusion MSR load, making it useful as a training round at various distances. It should also have similar recoil.

The question is, does it function fairly well? I wouldn't mind an occasional stuck case here and there every few hundred rounds. This would be used only as practice ammunition. But I would prefer not to have to deal with frequent stoppages. So for those who have used it, does it work reasonably well? I would be shooting it from chrome-lined, mil-spec 16" mid-length BCM barrels.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 2:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never shot that particular branding, but Silver Bear has always been good ammo for me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
i have gone through 500 rounds of it, no FTF/FTE issues, basically acts like MFS or Silver Bear.  IIRC, stinky or funny smell when firing.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I like it when I can find it. Some mid-length systems don't play well with steel casings, so keep that in mind.
That said, it is pretty good ammo. It won't be a match grade, but is great for pinking and training.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I tend to shy away from steel cased ammo as the rate of expansion of steel vs brass is not equivalent. Brass expand more when firing leaving a tighter seal for better ejection and a cleaner weapon. Also 62 gr bullets go better with a 1 in 7 twist. Most rifles made today use a 1 in 9 twist
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 1:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tend to shy away from steel cased ammo as the rate of expansion of steel vs brass is not equivalent. Brass expand more when firing leaving a tighter seal for better ejection and a cleaner weapon. Also 62 gr bullets go better with a 1 in 7 twist. Most rifles made today use a 1 in 9 twist
View Quote

1x9 is actually just about ideal for the length of most 62gr projectiles.

1x7 is only required for very long bullets like the M856's L110 tracer bullet, or 80gr SMK.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top