Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2012 6:39:41 PM EDT
I have been reading up on the TAP line from Hornady recently and I was wondering if the Hornady 5.56 TAP ammo with the T2 bullet is still being produced and being sold. I know it used to be hard to find for civilians but I can not find it anywhrere.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It's still a LEO-only product, as far as I know.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#2]
ammunitiontogo.com had some a while back. legit product number and everything but I think they sold out in a week.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I desired some also and couldn't find it, but I did find Hornady Superformance 5.56 75gr #81264, which in recently produced lots appears to have the T2 bullet.

It should be an equivalent of the 75gr 5.56 TAP as far as I can tell.

Here are pics of what I purchased:

Notice the cannelure, which helps to identify the bullet as T2. Earlier lots of #81264 (last year) had a bullet without a cannelure.

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 1:03:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I desired some also and couldn't find it, but I did find Hornady Superformance 5.56 75gr #81264, which in recently produced lots appears to have the T2 bullet.

Notice the cannelure, which helps to identify the bullet as T2. Earlier lots of #81264 (last year) had a bullet without a cannelure.

Not equivalent at all even though it uses the same bullet the superperformance line has pressure problems when shot from anything other than rifle length gas systems.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/Superformance_in_Gas_Guns.pdf
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 4:29:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Just get the TAP ammo with the nickel plated brass. It uses the T1C bullet which is an excellen choice.

Also 14point5

The T1 had no cannelure, the T1C has a cannelure as does the T2. t1C and T2 are both very good bullets with T1C  beig easy to find and generally loaded to .223 specs
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 4:54:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I have several boxes of the 75 gr TAP with the nickle cases but I've yet to shoot any of it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 7:17:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have several boxes of the 75 gr TAP with the nickle cases but I've yet to shoot any of it.

im guessing yours is the FPD stuff in a black box?  not the same...

my question, since were on the subject of the TAP T2 is:

hornady's site lists the 62 grn as "barrier" stuff, while the 75gr doesnt mention that.  also, it mentions th5 75 as having hollowpoint T2, while the 62 gr is not hollowpoint and does NOT mention T2.  any help here?  if i want barrier performance, will the 75  not do it?  and if the 62 is for barriers, then why not the T2, i thought the  T2 was the stuff...

hornady site
click on the "view" for more info

anyway.... little confused, as i have 400 rnds of the 75grn, and am wondering if i need to augment it with the 62 (not that ill EVER find it anywhere)

thanks
sorry to hijack, but pertinant to the OP i believe

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Every now and then it pops up in the Equipment Exchange.  Expect to pay $1 a round or more.  That is where I purchased my last case.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 10:01:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hornady's site lists the 62 grn as "barrier" stuff, while the 75gr doesnt mention that.  also, it mentions th5 75 as having hollowpoint T2, while the 62 gr is not hollowpoint and does NOT mention T2.  any help here?  if i want barrier performance, will the 75  not do it?  and if the 62 is for barriers, then why not the T2, i thought the  T2 was the stuff...

hornady site

anyway.... little confused, as i have 400 rnds of the 75grn, and am wondering if i need to augment it with the 62 (not that ill EVER find it anywhere)

thanks

No hijacking here, and let me know if you decide to sell your 75 grain TAP ammo. I am interested.

I found 4 cases of the red box 5.56 TAP with the T2 bullet on sturm but I tried to negotiate with the guy and in the mean time he sold 2 cases to some one else so I was only able to get 2 cases. But I was looking for a little more. Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye in the EE section.

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 10:41:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Need more SSA 70 gr. Barnes TSX NATO - this stuff is awe inspiring.... Barriers, Barriers Check, 400 lbs Russian Boar Check, 2800 fps 16 in. Bbl Check, Bin Laden's brains Check... I'm luvin it! Sorry off topic and all... But I can't help myself.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hornady site

thanks

Neither round is barrier blind not even what hornady lists as barrier ammo. Look at docs list here: 5.56 Duty Ammo

The best LE 5.56 mm/.223 loads for intermediate barrier penetration using 1/9 and faster twist barrels are the 5.56 mm Federal 62 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw (TBBC) bonded JSP (XM556FBIT3) and 5.56 mm Winchester 64 gr solid base bonded JSP (Q3313/RA556B) developed for the FBI, along with the outstanding new Black Hills 5.56 mm 50 gr TSX loading. Another acceptable 5.56 mm loading is the Speer 55 gr Gold Dot JSP; the Federal 5.56 mm 62 gr Mk318 Mod0 (T556TNB1) is also a potential option. Note that these are all true 5.56 mm loads that require a real milspec 5.56 mm chamber, not a SAAMI .223 chamber––be sure to check with an appropriate gauge or reamer. Most other acceptable LE barrier blind loadings are at .223 pressures, including the .223 55 & 62 gr Federal bonded JSP Tactical loads (LE223T1 & LE223T3), along with loads using Nosler 60 gr Partition JSP, Remington 62 gr Core-Lokt Ultra Bonded JSP (PRC223R4), .223 Federal 55 gr TSX (T223S), and the .223 Speer 55 & 64 gr Gold Dot JSP's (and identically constructed Federal 62 gr Fusion JSP and Federal XM223SP1 62gr Bonded JSP). The Swift 75 gr Scirocco bonded PT is also good choice, but usually requires a 1/7 twist. Note that the Barnes all copper TSX bullets are great projectiles and offer good penetration through barriers, however, when first hitting a laminated automobile windshield intermediate barrier, most TSX bullets exhibit less expansion than bonded JSP’s, as the Barnes jacket either collapses at the nose, the jacket "petals" fold back against the core, or the "petals" are torn off; this results in a caliber size projectile configured a lot like a full wadcutter, leading to deep penetration. If running 1/12 twist barrels, stick with the BH 50 gr TSX, Fed 55 gr TBBC, Speer 55 gr Gold Dot, or Fed 55 gr TSX. NONE of the fragmenting 5.56 mm OTM bullets, even the heavy 75 - 100 gr loads, offer acceptable performance through automobile windshield glass.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hornady site

thanks

Yes the boxes I have are black with red shield logo "Hornady TAP For Personal Defense" the end of the box says "223 REM 75gr TAP FPD"
The cartridges are loaded with a hollow point bullet and the box says muzzle velocity is 2790fps.

They shur ar purty

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#13]
The only positive about the T2 bullet is it improves feeding, yet my T1C reloads have no issue in my 16" carbine.

Also, superformance ammo is only for rifle length gas systems.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 6:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Need more SSA 70 gr. Barnes TSX NATO - this stuff is awe inspiring.... Barriers, Barriers Check, 400 lbs Russian Boar Check, 2800 fps 16 in. Bbl Check, Bin Laden's brains Check... I'm luvin it! Sorry off topic and all... But I can't help myself.

I agree

if you want barrier blind ammo as close to Mk 262   go with the  round above

i the 70 TSX  bullet in a proper loading is always a great choice
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not equivalent at all even though it uses the same bullet the superperformance line has pressure problems when shot from anything other than rifle length gas systems.

+1 I have experienced this when I tried it out of my carbine.

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 I have experienced this when I tried it out of my carbine.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I hope it performs ok in my piston AR.

BTW, there is some Hornady TAP barrier on sale at sturmgewehr. 60 grain and 62 grain. $160 for a case of 200 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 5:32:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

BTW, there is some Hornady TAP barrier on sale at sturmgewehr. 60 grain and 62 grain. $160 for a case of 200 rounds.

Its crap, just don't buy any.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 6:06:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you referring to the TAP barrier ammo or the T2 stuff?

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 6:21:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you referring to the TAP barrier ammo or the T2 stuff?

Barrier.

T1, T1C, and T2 are all excellent bullets. TAP barrier bullets suck
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I have read that else where too, I guess it explains why the TAP barrier bullets are less expensive than most other Hornady TAP ammo.

The Hornady ammo & other ammo that is meant for a rifle length gas system; will it perform well in all piston AR's?
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hornady site

thanks

If you want a barrier blind load I would skip the TAP line.
Look for bonded bullets in 62/64gr or the TSX
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The only positive about the T2 bullet is it improves feeding, yet my T1C reloads have no issue in my 16" carbine.

+1 Ive shot over 1500 of the Black Hills blue 75gr. no feeding problems what so ever using the older  75gr match bullet

Also shot 1000rds of the Black Hills blue 77SMK without cannalure. no problems with setback.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I have bought Hornady "Red Box" Tap from Ammunition To Go on 2 different occasions back in 2010. 200 rds each time.

The stuff doesn't last  long when it does come up for sale.
The second purchase the boxes all had the lot number removed from the boxes.
I found this interesting, so I emailed them and the reply said that since it's not sold outside the LE community, they purchase it from Dept. willing to sell off  some of their inventory. The Dept. that sold it required the lot numbers be removed as it could not be traced back to them. Hornady will punish  any Dept  proven to sell it outside the LE community.

I would like to set back more if it comes up again for sale, and I find it before it's all gone.

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have bought Hornady "Red Box" Tap from Ammunition To Go on 2 different occasions back in 2010. 200 rds each time.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7080/7000252795_3164c14943_c.jpg

looks to me like the stripped lot # round isnt hornady at all!?!

WCC, Western Cartridge Company (Olin), East Alton, IL, does hornady use these?

i will check mine later tonight.....

hmmm....

but you're right, when ATG has it, its gone ASAP!
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 8:44:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7080/7000252795_3164c14943_c.jpg

looks to me like the stripped lot # round isnt hornady at all!?!

WCC, Western Cartridge Company (Olin), East Alton, IL, does hornady use these?

i will check mine later tonight.....

hmmm....

but you're right, when ATG has it, its gone ASAP!

Companies such as Hornady use everyone's brass. I think they do their best to NOT use their own brass because they sell it at a premium price over LC and other brands.

Link Posted: 3/20/2012 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Yep, I have 600 rds of T2 that I bought directly from Hornady and the type of brass varies.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 10:20:11 AM EDT
[#28]
just got a reply from hornaday (i emailed them the question below this reply)

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

The 62gr bullet is a barrier round, bthp 75gr is the T2 bullet.  Both bullets were designed to withstand the higher pressures of the 5.56 NATO.  The Barrier round is designed to go through heavy barriers and still give terminal performance on the other side.  The 75gr will go through some barriers reliably but it’s designed to also do well without any barriers in the way and not over penetrate.

Thank you.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

my question was:

you mention the 5.56 NATO 62 gr. TAP, and the 5.56 NATO 75 gr. BTHP T2.

is the 62gr a T2 bullet?
is the 75gr a barrier round?

basically what are the differences
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top