Link Posted: 1/10/2008 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 4:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 4:15:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emcs31089] [#6]

Sorry nevermind I see you show the results in your post I'm sorry please delete this.
Link Posted: 1/10/2008 4:18:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: fegsa85] [#7]
just dirty and inaccurate in all of my 556 chambered rifles. perfect plinking round IMO.
many 1000s fired.

Link Posted: 1/27/2008 11:59:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Just shot 90 rounds in brand new LMT Carbine. Worked great 1 inch groups, no problems whatsoever.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 6:13:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: war-wagon] [#9]
If you are talking about the grey junk it is no better.  Had it stick in Colt, & Bustmaster.
Stuck in a friends Colt.  The worst case senerio happened when a live round stuck half way in the chamber.  The case wasn't properly sized & I spent 3hrs taking the weapon
apart to get it out safely.  That was the last straw.  The bolt & extractor blew just before that, (separate occasions).  I believe the added stress of pulling wolf out of the weapon
caused it to fail.  The weapon had 2500 rds through it & 99% was wolf ammo.  It seems
to occur when the weapon is hot 100-150 rounds shot fast.  I tried to justify shooting the stuff until major parts failures & continuos stuck cases.  Regardless of price I value
my weapon's reliability.  I've shot 1000's of both & its the same in my weapons.  Some people claim its your weapon, I say thats not the case. No pund  intended.
Link Posted: 1/28/2008 8:09:04 PM EDT
[#10]
No problems, Will Shoot again so I dont have to shoot the good stuff. 500+ rounds in one setting. Beats there old stuff.
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 12:52:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: war-wagon] [#11]
If a shooter plinks, shooting a mag every 10 minutes then you might get away from stuck cases. All you have to watch out for is over-sized case & dud primers.  I'm done
with wolf .223 in any flavor.  A couple friends just shot the last of their wolf & won't be
buying anymore.  We all know how to clean ARs properly & have good weapons.  We just want to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I just purchased 1000 rds of Wolf Polymer .55 gr " Military Classic Green Box " ammo!  Just came back from the range.  I fired 120 rds from my Colt AR-15A2 which had only seen brass ammo all the years I owned it.  All went off without incident and hit pretty well at 50 yards.  Almost hit the same spot the PMC .55 gr. I was using last week.  
I will clean rifle and next week go back to range and fire some brass cased ammo to see if any problems arise.  I will post my experience next time.

Link Posted: 3/4/2008 1:34:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Just shot my first 62gr. Wolf(black box) polymer. Shot with my very clean & oiled custom built ADCO 14.5", carbine gas that I have never had one failure with in it's 3 months. After 100 rounds of Wolf today I had 2 failure to fully cycle/charge and 1 failure to activate bolt latch at end of mag. The ammo definitely felt softer hitting then the Prvi I usually shoot which would explain the failure to charge. Good group at 50 yrds, all went bang and all ejected cleanly. The barrel however was the dirtiest little whore I've ever cleaned. If you dont mind the clean up, it would be great for plinkin..
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 10:22:59 PM EDT
[#14]
 Me and some 3gun buddies went out today to practice and carried some 55 and 62 grain wolf. After checking our zero we let it rip on my MGM flash target(a 10 inch plate) at 200 yrds. Wolf would hit it fairly often. My truck gun a Cav lower used A1 16 inch upper that I have no history on drilled it 60-70%. A bud hit 10 out of 10 with a 4X scope.  Ya, it's dirty but more accurate than expected.
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I have used all the Wolf 223.  Never a single problem in both my 16 Rock River and my M4 Bushmaster.  I have fired it until it was smoking hot, left it and returned to refire without a problem.  My rifles have shot brass and the Wolf in the same shooting round, again without a problem.  I will continue to shoot Wolf for the majority as it is half the price of brass stuff and even more on the EE where it seems like everyone selling brass stuff has fallen and hit their head on something.

Eric
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 12:41:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FishKepr] [#16]
How about another poll option to just get the results?

OK, so if I'm shopping around what do I look for in order to know I'm getting the new coating?  Are the boxes marked differently?
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#17]
62gr Poly Coated
When I bought my Smith and Wesson M&P T last year the shop had a 1000 rounds for $163. I thought I couldn't go wrong with it.
I was way wrong. Never could I get more then 80 rounds through without a FTF or FTE. The most common problem was this stuff is just dirty and would foul the chamber. I had to pound out several empty cases. A quick cleaning and I was good for another 60 rounds or so.
Wanting to make sure It wasn't to do with the gun I built another 16" AR  from a kit and had same results.
I was talking with a guy at the range and he was shooting some of the 55gr Military Classic. He said he loved the stuff and had shot many 100's of rounds with no problems.We traded a box of ammo to see what the difference was. The Military classic ran fine in my gun, but the Poly Coated caused him 2 FTEs in the box of 20.
If you go out and shoot less than 60-80 rounds then its ok as long as you clean afterwards.
I personally will not buy this stuff again.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By FishKepr:
How about another poll option to just get the results?

OK, so if I'm shopping around what do I look for in order to know I'm getting the new coating?  Are the boxes marked differently?

All Wolf .223 is poly coated now, both the black box and military classic.  If you're buying new, you're getting poly coated.
Link Posted: 3/17/2008 11:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I put 150rds of Wolf through my AR first time out with it a few weeks ago...had 1 failure to eject that got jammed in the bore, had to break down the rifle and knock it out with a cleaning rod. Other than that, not a problem....
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 12:20:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: paddle3] [#20]
I've shot a few thousand rounds through carbines with no issues: about 500 of this was during a class.  Also, have shot several hundred through a FS2000: it was necessary to move the gas setting on the rifle to the "weak" ammo setting to obtain proper cycling and extraction.

62gr
Bushmaster 14.5" and 16" carbines, and FS2000
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 2:24:46 AM EDT
[#21]
1. 55gr FMJ
2. Multiple AR's; Robinson XCR
3. 1000 rounds

No problems or malfunctions in the AR's.  I had to adjust the XCR's gas system to 3 in order to get it to function reliably.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#22]
multiple (1/4) FTE with Bushmaster A2 20" both 55 and 62gr.  Bushmaster M4 only had a couple FTE out of about 500 rounds.  The only problem I saw with them is that they are weak.  The 62 seemed to be a bit worse than 55.  I need an adjustable gas system!
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 11:04:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WarVet] [#23]
Have been using this ammo for about 2 years now. Couldn't afford the better stuff. I have always experienced either double feeds, failure to extract and rounds getting gamed in the chamber, where I'd have to poke them out with a cleaning rod. I just had to send one of my AR's to Bushmaster. Entire gas system was filthy and trust me I clean my rifles after every trip to the range. This stuff is so dirty it completely clogged the gas block under the FSB. Used both 55 & 62 grain. Finally decided to spend the extra money and get brass cartridges. Now problem free.
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 12:22:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Shot about 500rds of the Wolf MC stuff through my Bushmaster M4. Not one FTF, FTE or any oher problem. Every round went bang. I shot the MC stuff before and after some brass ammo, nothing jammed, etc. Wolf MC ammo works for me.

Bushmaster M4
Wolf MC 55gr polymer
500 rounds
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Wolf is awsome!! The mith of worf damaging your rifle were debunked after the brass ammo skyrocketed and people where tempted to buy Wolf and loved it. I have wolf from 2001 and it shoots as fine as my 2007 Wolf does. Yeah it's dirty and not as accurate, I wouldnt zero my scope with it but is great for plinking. Never had a problem with Wolf

223SAINT
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Have seen numerous failures to extract when the ammo is left in the sun here in AZ. Several times this has required the use of a cleaning rod to get the case out of the chamber and a couple of case separations.

This is through a wide variety of 5.56 chambers from several manufacturers.

Suspect the ball powder the Wolf polymer ammo is loaded with is very temperature sensitive causing high pressures when hot.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 9:17:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Just to throw my .02 in here - I've never bought Wolf mainly because I wanted brass to reload, but the horrow stories weren't encouraging.

I have a buddy with a 16" Bushmaster that shoots Wolf all the time without issue.

A bunch of us went out this weekend, and another buddy of mine was broke so he caved and bought some Wolf.  He was getting FTF, FTE etc about every other round.  Then a fired case got stuck in his chamber.  I told him he could use my AR (Stag upper) and guess what...first shot the case got jammed in the chamber.

I have to say, ammo performance for Wolf seems to vary wildly depending on the rifle.  I've never had any problems with any brass cased (including Wolf Gold, Prvi), whether new or reloaded.  I wouldn't recommend risking it, this stuff is just a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By mplex2000:
A bunch of us went out this weekend, and another buddy of mine was broke so he caved and bought some Wolf.  He was getting FTF, FTE etc about every other round.  Then a fired case got stuck in his chamber.  I told him he could use my AR (Stag upper) and guess what...first shot the case got jammed in the chamber.

Outside temperature?

Was the Wolf ammo in the sun?
Link Posted: 5/12/2008 3:40:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TennVol] [#29]
I've had a couple of failures to extract - it looked like the extractor couldn't get a good grip on the case rim and pulled a small chunk out of it. I've had to pound out a few cases from the chamber, but due to the price, I'll keep buying and using the polymer coated Wolf.

Almost of my problems have been after shooting several 30 rd mags and then leaving a round in the chamber for a while before firing again.

Link Posted: 5/23/2008 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#30]
No problems using Wolf Steel Case FMJ or HP on my S&W M&P15.  Went through 300 rounds already without a hiccup.  My only complaint is the ring goo the ammo leaves on the bolt, and it leaves the rifle more dirtier than other ammo I use, which means more time spent on cleaning.  j
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I am using a 6721 Colt bone stock using Colt 20rd mags and USGI 30 rnd mags.
I had only brought 400 rounds  of Remington UMC 55 gr FMJ with me and ran out.
My friend gave me 5 boxes of Wolf 55gr FMJ to shoot so I could finish out the day and it worked perfectly no problems. My Colt loved it.

Accuarcy seemed fine. We do not use paper target shoot but use old scuba tanks and milk and soda bottles and I was able to consitantly hit the tanks multiple time in a row using only iorn sights with the tell tale tink on each shot.  I was so impressed that when I got home that afternoon I order a 1000 rounds and I am waiting for it to be delivered. I can not comment on it being dirty or not since I shot the 400 round of Remingington UMC before I shot the Wolf.  I will comment the dirty issue after I start with a clean weapon and use just Wolf for an entire session.
Link Posted: 5/25/2008 11:59:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: renraf] [#32]
I have had major problems with Wolf ammo.  I have a POF-415 which requires little or no cleaning (gas-piston). After putting 500 rounds through the gun there is very little powder residue, however the camber and bolt face was completely covered with the purplish coating that is on Wolf ammo.  Had constant jams which needed quite a bit of force with a cleaning rod to remove the stuck casings.  When disassembling the bolt, I had to use a pair of pilers to pull out the firing pin because of all the coating residue caked in the bolt.  I don't think I would have noticed the polymer residue on a normal AR.  The crome bolt on the POF makes the purple crap really stand out. Rifle funtions flawlessly with quality brass ammo.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I seem to be having trouble specifically with 62 grain HP wolf.  My guns run fine on other wolf but this 62 grain chokes em up bad.  

Somebody mentioned heat/sun?  How would this affect the ammo?  Just curious, its been very hot the last few times I went shooting.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By JeremyinTX:
Somebody mentioned heat/sun?  How would this affect the ammo?  Just curious, its been very hot the last few times I went shooting.  

Ball powders like those used in Wolf .223 are very temperature sensitive. When the temperature goes up so does the pressure. Then bad things happen.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Have shot approx. 3000k rounds of 55gr fmj black box  through m4 Bushmaster and S&W 15T. No FTF or FTE. I'm stocking up! Never shot Mil Classic.
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Problems with 62 grain FMJ Black box purchased at Gander Mountain last summer.  Would not cycle in any of 3 AR's I tried it in.  11.5, 16, and a 20"  Only Wolf I have had significant problems with so far.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 4:41:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Shot 1000 rounds Wolf Military Classic 55gr. poly coated steel case, bi metal jacket FMJ during a class last week.

I had one fail to fire with an apparent good primer strike. All other rounds functioned flawlessly. This is actually the first time I have ever had any issues with Wolf MC ammo after shooting 1000's of rounds of it, so I thought it was worth mentioning. I still plan on using Wolf MC and have no worries about its performance for range training sessions.

Rifle being used was a 11.5" SBR using a Sabre barrel and LMT BCG on a BFI lower.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought a box of Wolf Military Classic 223 rem 55GR. FMJ.  When I pulled the bullet I found approximately 22 grains of a short extruded powder.  I fired 5 rounds from my 16.5 inch Franken gun over a chrony and registered the following velocities in feet per second; 2936, 2923, 2954, 2971, and 2923.   For comparison I also fired some Lake City M193 from 1993 over the chrony from the same rifle and obtained the following velocity results; 3100, 3110, and 3105.  Accuracy form my unscoped 16.5 inch Franken gun was about 4.5 to 5.0 inches at 100 yds. This is about the same as the Lake City ammo and my own in-expensive reloads.  I guess this goes to show that quality bullets have a substantial impact on accuracy.
While not up to same power level as the Lake City M193 this box of Wolf was definitely not underpowered.  I also did not experience any excess smoke or stoppages. Having said that, I will admit to only firing 20 rounds of the stuff. I am considering purchasing more of this to keep around in case I have a chance to go to the range and have not caught up on my reloading.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#39]
The problem I had with the polymer Wolf stuff was one of carbon build up in the chamber. Since the steel case doesn't fire form, some carbon built up and I got a case seizure.

I completely destroyed an aluminum (yeah, brass is better but it's what I had) cleaning rod trying to get the case out, and wound up getting the rod stuck in the case to boot!

After a hard fight to remove the rod, I had to use a 3/16 steel rod and a dead blow hammer to remove the case. Luckily, no damage was done to the rifle and after an extensive scrubbing I was able to use it again.

I will not use Wolf anymore in my AR. That ammo goes bang, and heads down range, but the carbon build up problem is just too much to chance in my opinion.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 11:56:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bluezerosix] [#40]
Tried a couple of boxes of the 55gr. FMJ Military Classic I picked up at a gun show in May.

My rifle is a home-build using RRA parts w/ a Bushmaster 16" 1-9" twist HBAR barrel. It has never FTF'd or FTE'd.

The WOLF cycled O.K. but seemed a bit underpowered in my opinion.

Accuracy was abysmal at about 6" - 8" for a couple of five-shot groups @ 100 yards.

My rifle normally groups about 2" at 100 yards using Q3131 or XM193 and about 2 1/2" - 3" using M855.

The WOLF was also filthy...it took longer than normal to clean my AR.

You guys who LOVE WOLF can have it...I won't be buying any more of it.

And it's getting to where I won't even run Wolf 7.62x39 in my AK's & SKS.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#41]
I have shot approx 500 rounds of this thru my DoubleStar 10.5" and thru the same upper on a buddies RDIAS equipped ar. All without a hitch other then the mags don't last very long, it is a very hungry machine. Never a problem with the stag lower with rdias or my Double Star lower, all this was on my chrome lined 5.56 chambered med profile DS upper.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 10:15:08 PM EDT
[#42]
after reading this and other sites its seems like stag has more problems with wolf.. and bushmaster will eat it all day long
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#43]
My buddy was shooting this ammo in his Stag (factory AFAIK) 20" and it would not function worth a darn. He had to exert a lot of frustration  on the charging handle to clear the empties from the chamber.

I offered to test the rest of his Wolf ammo in my rifle. He handed me a NHMTG 20 round mag loaded with about 12-13 rounds. I have a mut- RRA lower (with a Colt A1 stock) and a Bushmaster 20" upper (HBAR, 1/9, chrome-lined). I emptied the mag as fast as I could down range. Worked like a charm. The empties were thrown pretty much as far as my brass empties. My rifle only has had about 1k of 5.56 ammo through it (between myself and its previous owner).

In the future, I would have no qualms about buying this stuff for blasting ammo- that is, when the water-stained South Korean surplus runs out.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By JAD:
My buddy was shooting this ammo in his Stag (factory AFAIK) 20" and it would not function worth a darn. He had to exert a lot of frustration  on the charging handle to clear the empties from the chamber.

I offered to test the rest of his Wolf ammo in my rifle. He handed me a NHMTG 20 round mag loaded with about 12-13 rounds. I have a mut- RRA lower (with a Colt A1 stock) and a Bushmaster 20" upper (HBAR, 1/9, chrome-lined). I emptied the mag as fast as I could down range. Worked like a charm. The empties were thrown pretty much as far as my brass empties. My rifle only has had about 1k of 5.56 ammo through it (between myself and its previous owner).

In the future, I would have no qualms about buying this stuff for blasting ammo- that is, when the water-stained South Korean surplus runs out.

I have a Rock River Elite CAR A4 Middy.

I have put a few thousand rounds of 55gr wolf/black box and wolf/military classic. (Polymer coated)

Not as accurate as some of my good brass ammo.

It has always fuctioned 100%. No compliants here...excellent training / plinking ammo.

John
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 7:19:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Took my ADS M4 and my CD Lower/BCM 16"Middy to the range on saturday and had 3 FTF's and 2 FTE's. It was the 75 gr hp. First time using it because I heard it was ok. NEVER AGAIN. My XM193 and PRVI M193 along with my Black hills 75 gr match all shot well and felt like real ammo , not under powered like the wolf.
Link Posted: 11/30/2008 10:46:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/1/2008 12:19:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: silox] [#47]
I've shot 100-150 rounds of Wolf 62gr HP(Black box) within 2 trips to do some plinking out of my brand new S&W M&P15.  The rifle has had around 400-500 or so rounds total put through it if that helps at all with the data that's being collected.  I only had 1 minor issue which was a FTF on my 32nd round of firing the same batch(bought 500rd case).  Had to use a cleaning rod to tap it out, but all the others have fired just fine.  I did notice one of the rounds had a square looking primer in it and it wasn't sealed well between the primer and the casing so I didn't use it.  Not sure if that is a big deal or not.  I have also noticed the ammo is indeed 'dirtier' than others I have used so far, but I have been pretty good about cleaning it regularly.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#48]

So i just took my DPMS out the other day with the plan on running a couple hundred rounds (if it would make it that far) of Wolf military classic through it. I have a Stag and an RRA that absolutely will not eat wolf, black box or the MC. It would always be a FTF issue or FTE and I would be pulling the charging handle all day.

I am happy to say that it ate all 200 rounds of 55gr FMJ without a hiccup! I was really amazed. I just don't understand why my DPMS will eat this ammo and my other AR's won't. I'm thinking about getting a case of 500 just to plink with for said rifle.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 5:52:43 PM EDT
[#49]
I went to a tactical shoot recently and didn't want to leave my brass on the ground so I got some Wolf 55gr MC. Including zeroing my rifle I've put just short of 300 rounds thru a Bushmaster 20" A3 Match Target Upper (DPMS lower, Colt USGI 20 round mags).

Absolutely no problems. I'd buy again for another match.
Link Posted: 1/4/2009 8:01:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By SmokeyJ:

So i just took my DPMS out the other day with the plan on running a couple hundred rounds (if it would make it that far) of Wolf military classic through it. I have a Stag and an RRA that absolutely will not eat wolf, black box or the MC. It would always be a FTF issue or FTE and I would be pulling the charging handle all day.

I am happy to say that it ate all 200 rounds of 55gr FMJ without a hiccup! I was really amazed. I just don't understand why my DPMS will eat this ammo and my other AR's won't. I'm thinking about getting a case of 500 just to plink with for said rifle.

Thats good to hear.  I have 2 DPMS AR-15 and just ordered a case.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top