Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 2:06:49 PM EDT
Well, in my ongoing venture to sock away as much ammo as possible, I have run out of room in my current stock of ammo boxes. I have six of the 5.56mm boxes, three of the fat 5.56mm ones, two morter fuse boxes, and about 4 of the shinny ones. I went out to get a few more and discovered one in my area has ANY military ammo boxes. I MEAN NOBODY!

.50 cal, 30 cal, 5.56, nadda. Not even those big ones for morter fuses are to be had. Is the rest of the nation like this or is it just my area (SW Florida)?????

They use to be a dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#1]
PANIC!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#2]
No shortage here. I was at Numrich Gun Parts in Woodstock on Friday and they had plenty of the 50s, 30s and some odd sized ones.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#3]
No shortage here in San Antonio. I was at the funshow today and there was the surplus guy there as usual with pristene ammo cans.  $6 ea. for the .50 cal size.
I am not sure where he gets them from, but they appear to be one time use only with the yellow writing intact.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]

50$ for a pallate of 1728 ammo cans.  That breaks down to 3 cents a can.  

ETA thanks for that link to the government liquidations.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:38:26 PM EDT
[#6]
PEAK AMMO CAN!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:15:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
web.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?words=ammo+cans&Ntt=ammo+cans&N=0&cmd=keyword&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchall&Ns=P%5FOpen%5FTime%7C0&Ntk=P%5FLot%5FTitle

Geez, anyone interested in buying 33,000 lbs. of fired brass? Includes about 16k lbs. of 5.56

Ya, I looked into that! The brass MUST be scrapped and not used for reloading.  I don't know why or how they would even know, but thats what I heard.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
PANIC!

Well, I wouldnt go THAT far now!

As I dont need 7 pallets of cans (although that would be interesting) I do want to get many a half dozen or so. Anyone have links to dealers who sell/have them. Besides the gooberment that is.

Thanks for that link METT-T. I passed it on to my dad and he went apeshit. I thing he is going to build a vacation home out of them!j/k
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:03:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
No shortage here in San Antonio. I was at the funshow today and there was the surplus guy there as usual with pristene ammo cans.  $6 ea. for the .50 cal size.
I am not sure where he gets them from, but they appear to be one time use only with the yellow writing intact.

Does he have .30 cal or 5.56?

Might be worth the trip if they are priced right.

Thanks,

Travis
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
web.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?words=ammo+cans&Ntt=ammo+cans&N=0&cmd=keyword&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchall&Ns=P%5FOpen%5FTime%7C0&Ntk=P%5FLot%5FTitle

Geez, anyone interested in buying 33,000 lbs. of fired brass? Includes about 16k lbs. of 5.56

Ya, I looked into that! The brass MUST be scrapped and not used for reloading.  I don't know why or how they would even know, but thats what I heard.

33,000 pounds ='s a lot of money if you scrapped it out
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:17:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Fiddy cal can $6 each or 2 for $10 here. Fat or tall cans are $8 each or 2 for $15. Plenty available. Bought 12 fiddys and 2 tall ones yesterday. All are now full of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:40:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

Travis

He has both .30 cal & .50 cal size cans. (The .50 are $6.) He also had some larger, I think they were labeled as SAW ammo cans (They looked like big .50 cal cans to me).
The .50 cal size are labeled .50cal, 5.56 (M855) and  5.56 blanks

He has been at the last 2 Saxet Shows here in S.A. (1st weekend of each month)
and had (lots of) ammo cans each time.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,

Travis

He has both .30 cal & .50 cal size cans. (The .50 are $6.) He also had some larger, I think they were labeled as SAW ammo cans (They looked like big .50 cal cans to me).
The .50 cal size are labeled .50cal, 5.56 (M855) and  5.56 blanks

The .30 caliber cans were $4, like they are every month.  He's a nice older hispanic guy, and he's against the back wall.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well, in my ongoing venture to sock away as much ammo as possible, I have run out of room in my current stock of ammo boxes. I have six of the 5.56mm boxes, three of the fat 5.56mm ones, two morter fuse boxes, and about 4 of the shinny ones. I went out to get a few more and discovered one in my area has ANY military ammo boxes. I MEAN NOBODY!

.50 cal, 30 cal, 5.56, nadda. Not even those big ones for morter fuses are to be had. Is the rest of the nation like this or is it just my area (SW Florida)?????

WWW.armygear.net    Click on ammo cans. They have all of what wou need...............
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:41:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WWW.armygear.net    Click on ammo cans. They have all of what wou need...............

Made it hot.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:01:25 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your going to need one HELL OF A TUMBLER!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
www.govliquidation.com/aucimg/photos/2110/2109721.jpg

50$ for a pallate of 1728 ammo cans.  That breaks down to 3 cents a can.  

ETA thanks for that link to the government liquidations.  

Tagged for future ammo fort construction
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#20]
How about some HUMVEE tires w/ rims?

www.govliquidation.com/list/e1852
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
How about some HUMVEE tires w/ rims?

www.govliquidation.com/list/e1852

Looks like there is some good tred left on it.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:48:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Well I just placed an order with Armygear.com for about $100.00 worth of ammo cans. Should be enough for the ammo I have yet to purchase. I am now stocked up with the following:

223/5/56 = 2, 200

.308 = 440

.45ACP = 550

I need more of everything it would seem.

THANKS FOR THE HELP FELLAS!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#23]
There's always the guy at the gun show selling them for like $5 each.  If ever I go to a gun show and cant find anything to buy, I at least take home an ammo can.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:30:26 PM EDT
[#24]
IIRC I read a story about how military/army at Lake City is experimenting with a different method of packaging up small ammo. They are still using ammo cans and wooden crates for some shipments, but the other shipments are shiped via a system of outer and inner cardboard boxes. The advanages of the non-ammo can system are that they can get more ammo per pallet while the overall weight per pallet is reduced. So the military might be using less ammo cans themselves. I have been unable to locate a hyper-link to the story.

P.S. I finally found the link to the new packaging of ammo:

www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/JulAug98/MS298.htm    
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#25]
This army surplus store a few miles down the road from where I live,Has these stacked deep,real deep.And the ones i`ve bought and seen, all seem to be in pretty decent condition.6.00$ for the normal 5.56 cans.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I usually buy one or two cans every time I go into Northern Tool.  They have them in every size, and also carry the plastic boxes that make great tool boxes (their more quiet than metal).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The .30 caliber cans were $4, like they are every month.  He's a nice older hispanic guy, and he's against the back wall.

Thanks, I gotta check it out!

Travis
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:22:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Round here (Indiana) Rural King has .50 cans for three bucks.  At least they did the other day.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Anybody ever ordered from armygear.net? Placed an order last week and all i have gotten is a auto response email from them. Tried to call them but just a message saying their sorry they were out, please leave a message.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I usually buy one or two cans every time I go into Northern Tool.  They have them in every size, and also carry the plastic boxes that make great tool boxes (their more quiet than metal).

Northern Tool in my area told me they are no longer carrying them!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:03:09 PM EDT
[#31]
tag
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Are you near Punta Gorda

seen some at the local gun shop/army surplus store

Im glad I got mine in the 80`s real cheap then
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
IIRC I read a story about how military/army at Lake City is experimenting with a different method of packaging up small ammo. They are still using ammo cans and wooden crates for some shipments, but the other shipments are shiped via a system of outer and inner cardboard boxes. The advanages of the non-ammo can system are that they can get more ammo per pallet while the overall weight per pallet is reduced. So the military might be using less ammo cans themselves. I have been unable to locate a hyper-link to the story.

P.S. I finally found the link to the new packaging of ammo:

www.almc.army.mil/alog/issues/JulAug98/MS298.htm    

The cardboard shipments are for Stateside training use.  There's no need to spend the money on cans and crates that are supposed to protect the ammo from "bad things" in hostile environments if you're only going to use it on a military base for training.  It saves a lot on shipping costs too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

This is the second time today I've heard this.  Can you post something authoritative on this issue?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you near Punta Gorda

seen some at the local gun shop/army surplus store

Im glad I got mine in the 80`s real cheap then

I'm down here in the Cape. Can you suggest a good A/N store up there?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Port charlotte us 41 army/navy store  BOB 941- 624- 5199

last time there he had about a dozen 5.56mm/840rds Cans
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 6:36:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Port charlotte us 41 army/navy store  BOB 941- 624- 5199

last time there he had about a dozen 5.56mm/840rds Cans

I'll have to check that out, thanks.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top