Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 2:01:12 PM EDT
Anyone use the below described bullets from Widener's for loads in his AR?  Here's the product number and description:

Y2255FMJ 22 CAL 55 FMJBT $26.00 PER 1000

NEWEST MILITARY STYLE BULLETS TO BE SEEN IN A LONG TIME. THEY ARE 55GR FMJBT WITHOUT THE CANNELURE FOR EXTREME ACCURACY AND THE STEEL JACKET ASSURES MAXIMUM PENETRATION. THE BULLETS HAVE THE BARNAUL COPPER BONDED JACKET ON THE OUTSIDE SO THATTHESE BULLETS DO NOT WEAR THE BARRELL OF RIFLE LIKE NORMAL STEEL BULLETS. MADE TO EXACT SPECS. THESE BULLET SHOOT GREAT IN ANY 22 CAL CARTRIDGE, BUT THEY ARE MADE PERFECT FOR THE 223 SHOOTER

I was also thinking of loading these for plinking with my AR: "UF22M855 UNFIRED 22 CAL 62GR Greentip Bullets $54.00 PER 1000"

http://www.wideners.com/index.cfm
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm, although they say it has a copper layer over the steel I really would be uncomfortable shooting them in my rifle.  I think there are better options out there... Not really worth the risk to me.

Someone else can probably elaborate further...
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 3:41:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently loaded up a mess of them but have only fired about 40 or so. There has been a lot of steel jacketed bullets fired around the world without ill effects. Remember, there are many many grades of steel and I would hope the barrel you bought would be better than some mild steel used in the jacket of a bullet.

Of course all of my barrels are chrome lined and the bullets are copper plated. They look no different than any other 55 grain FMJBT minus the cannelure.

I am shooting these in my M16 so any wear should be quickly apparent.

Bob
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds similar to the Swiss ammo that ammoman had a while back.  Copperwashed steel projectile that the Swiss surplused do to accelerated wear on their Machine Guns.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:32:37 AM EDT
[#4]
This is not the reloading board. Ask the question over there.

ETA: I avoid all steel core bullets.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:44:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

These actually have a steel jacket.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:02:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These actually have a steel jacket.

That's what I meant. Now where's my coffee?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

That's what I meant. Now where's my coffee?

Sorry.  I have it.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top