Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:40:15 PM EDT
What does any one think about mixing rounds in a clip? Would you not get the most "bang" for the money? I.E 55g FMJ Hornady TAP Federal 64g Power point, ETC; That is when Zombies come down the street "armed' and in force.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:12:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep only one type of round in my magazines.  The most I would do is mix some tracers in, and even that isn't likely.  I would suggest the same.  No reason to mix rounds really.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#2]
CLIPh.gif
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Other than mixing in tracers, the only thing I can see getting by doing that is 2 different points of impact.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:31:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I think its a dumb idea.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I can think of no reason to insert an inferior round every other round into my magazine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#7]
No not really. Maybe a few mags( magazines) loaded with specialty ammo if you must.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:47:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Other than mixing in tracers, the only thing I can see getting by doing that is 2 different points of impact.

I would not mix rounds in the same MAGAZINE.  However, my Ruger Mini-14 shoots 62 grain loads to the exact same windage zero as 55 grain loads, except the 62's hit about 2 inches higher at 100 yards.  So the rifle is essentially zero'd at 100 yards with 55's, and zero'd at 200 yards with 62's.  YMMV.

Paladin
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:20:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I too would not mix ammunition in a rifle magazine, but nothing is better than alternating 00 buck and rifled slugs in a shotgun in the hands of at lease one person on board if your goal is discouraging boarders while at sea.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:27:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Why make things more complicated than the already are??
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:10:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I would mix some 308 rounds in there
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]
There's no reason to mix rounds unless you want your POI to be different every other round.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:38:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I recently read an article about an OIS between a DEA agent and a drug dealer. The agent was armed with a 1911 loaded with 4 rounds of .45 ACP JHP's and 3 rounds of FMJ ball. The dealer fled and made it into a vehicle where he was subsequently killed by a FMJ bullet which impacted his melon. According to the agent, the JHP's would not reliably penetrate the vehicle. This is suspicious to me, but I wasn't there and wasn't privvy to what JHP he was using. Its not impossible, but slightly improbably. The officer went on to say he choose this obscure loading for this very reason and advocated the same for his colleagues.

That being said, I think this is a bad idea, especially mixing 55grn JHP with 64grn JSPs. Both rounds will have different points of impact and feeding properties. Weapons are complex mechanical devices and certainly don't need one more thing which could cause a failure. Its much better to pick a single defensive round suited for your weapon/environment and supplement this with an auxillery round. Select your round based on your weapon, understanding of terminal ballistics and environment/threat. 75grn TAP is a great choice for an all around defensive bullet.
For an auxillery load, a bonded JSP is an excellent choice. Having two magazines loaded with this ammunition is an excellent idea as thier barrier performance is superior.  No cartridge will be effective in every situation, so you must make compromises and hedging your bets with an auxillery load is a great idea, albiet in a different magazine. Tracers are the exception here as they are both FMJ's and of similar weight, provided you are using corresponding ball/tracer loads.

I too "Dutch" my shotgun. I have a Remington 870 Police with a side saddle, Speed Feed IV, 5 round but cuff and Blackhawk bandoleer sling. When out in the field, I load it with Remington standard pressure 000 Buck and Remington low recoil 1 oz slugs, both 2 3/4. This gives you an incredible amount of firepower and versatility. I alternate buck/slug in the magazine, saddle, sling and but cuff so as to have an equal amount of both rounds. Indoors, this is extremely dangrous as it has a gross amount of penetration. If you live in the country, this is probably an excellent choice for HD, for those who live in urban areas, its most reckless. When indoors, I take it off "11" and load the side saddle and magazine with 2 3/4 Federal BBB with 5 rounds of Hydrashok slugs in the butt cuff, just in case. Mixing two different sizes of shot in the weapon is senseless, if anything its a handycap, for example alternating 1 and 000 buck or 6shot and 00buck. Shotguns and tracers not with standing, its best to pick a singular defensive round to maximize your capability in a large number of scenarios rather than mix rounds in a magazine and create possible failures. It seems like a reasonable idea, however its not.....
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top