Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2006 11:44:27 AM EDT
I want to begin handloading and I need some pointers. I have a friend with the press and everything I need to load my own except for .223 dies. He has the Hornady manual but I am wondering what types of Powders you all are using and bullet weights. I have a RRA 1/9 16" barrel and a colt 16" barrel 1/7. I understand about tighter twist accepts heavier bullets so I will load for rifling type. In the 1/9 I would like to shoot up to 62 gr. bullets and up to 77gr. in the 1/7. I would like to stay as close to 3000fps as possible. How can I accomplish this? Accuracy is Important obviously but splitting hairs at 1000 yards isn't what I'm trying to accomplish either. I think with good loads and Skills practice that sub 2" groups at say 200-300 yards isn't out of the question. Anything constructive is welcome.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the RELOADING forum under GENERAL...

That is where you will find what yo seek, Padawan.

Rmpl
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Try the reloading forum.

Quoted:
I want to begin handloading and I need some pointers. I have a friend with the press and everything I need to load my own except for .223 dies. He has the Hornady manual but I am wondering what types of Powders you all are using and bullet weights. I have a RRA 1/9 16" barrel and a colt 16" barrel 1/7. I understand about tighter twist accepts heavier bullets so I will load for rifling type. In the 1/9 I would like to shoot up to 62 gr. bullets

1/9 can easily stabilize up to 69gr, and in some cases, 75gr.

and up to 77gr. in the 1/7. I would like to stay as close to 3000fps as possible.

WHOA mister.  Get a reloading manual.  Read up on specs.  Your bullet weight will determine your muzzle velocity capabilities, NOT what you'd "like"  If you push a 77gr bullet 3000fps, you will most likely have a nice pile of parts where your gun was.  

How can I accomplish this? Accuracy is Important obviously but splitting hairs at 1000 yards isn't what I'm trying to accomplish either.

You will have a tough time getting any meg length .223 to go 1000yds.

I think with good loads and Skills practice that sub 2" groups at say 200-300 yards isn't out of the question. Anything constructive is welcome.

There are sub-MOA guns, sub-MOA shooters, and sub-MOA ammunition.  Lining up all three, shot after shot, is pretty impressive.  Especially at 300yds.  But your goal of shooting 2" groups at 200 is easily acheivable, assuming you have a gun capable, and you become capable.  2" groups at 300 is QUITE impressive, and you WILL NOT be able to average that on a regular basis.  Especially if there is more than 2MPH winds.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I will definately read up on the subject and just start throwing things together and I said I wanted sub 2" out to maybe 300 not 1000. I've been shooting awhile I'm just wanting to try some supervised reloading first. I know that Max effective range at a point target is 500 and 800 to an area target. Thanks for your thoughts and keep them coming.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I said I wanted sub 2" out to maybe 300 not 1000.

Uhhhh that is what I commented on.  Shooting a 2" group at 300yds is extremely difficult.  That is holding .75MOA@300.  Nothing wrong with having that as a goal... but most people with the .223 find sub MOA easy at 100, can hold MOA at 200, and open up beyond MOA at 300, due to environmental conditions.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:21:49 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I said I wanted sub 2" out to maybe 300 not 1000.

Uhhhh that is what I commented on.  Shooting a 2" group at 300yds is extremely difficult.  That is holding .75MOA@300.  Nothing wrong with having that as a goal... but most people with the .223 find sub MOA easy at 100, can hold MOA at 200, and open up beyond MOA at 300, due to environmental conditions.

Environmental conditions aside, I thought MOA is MOA is MOA.   Is this not the case?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:03:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Off-Topic here.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top