Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 5:08:30 PM EDT
I have several hundred rounds of this stuff that, according to the headstamp, is
"SF" 72.  Checking the charts its made in France in 1972 with a Nato marking.
There is a black band running around the bullet at the top of the case neck. I thought
it was a sealer at first but I'm wondering if the buller is AP. It has a solid-not lead core.

Also, it won't run well in any of my semi-auto rifles.  My guns (M1A, HK-91 and HK clones) all run mil-surp fine but this ammo malfs. The stuff shoots ok in a bolt gun but seems very hot although I haven't chronographed it. Anybody know anything about it?
Thanks

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The bullet has a cupro-nickel jacket.

Box reads

Brass case                                                                  
Primer 5.5mm
Powder ****
Powder charge 2.85 grams

All dated 1972.
It looks to be standard French 7.62 X 51 Ball.  Designation 0 Mle 1961

That is all the information I can give you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:09:32 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, the French had problems with extraction with this round in thier machineguns. Maybe they underloaded it so it would work better like the Brits do with the IW.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys.  It looks like this ammo was not one of my better purchases, lol.
I got it over a decade ago and hadn't even tried any until now.  I've been running low on
the 308 milsurp in my stash so I thought I would break it out for plinking but it doesn't
look like its even good enough for that.
I appreciate the info!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I had French 30-06 from the 60's.   Talk about crap ammo.  Cases split on firing every 4th round or so.  Necks cracking.  

I value French ammo right up there with Indian....and the Indian might even be better.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top