Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2006 1:35:32 PM EDT
I know it's the most unpopular ammo on the boards.  I know it's dirty.  I have a 1000 rd case of it that's been sitting in the garage for about 6 years.  From what I have read, I understand that the laquer is the problem.  What should I expect if I shoot it?  Is there any permanent damage that can occur to my AR?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:03:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot it with care.  It should go bang, but DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT leave a round in a hot chamber!  

The problem isnt with the ammo, but with the coating.  The laquer will melt when the chamber gets hot, and once it cools, it re-hardens.  It can literally glue a round in the chamber making it VERY tough to get out.  

Even while shooting, you'd do yourself well to clean out the chamber every few 100 rds just to be safe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#3]
There won't be any damage.  Shoot it up.  You might get some stuck cases, you might not.  Plenty of people have shot even the old lacquered Wolf without a problem.  And if a case does get stuck, just bang it out with a cleaning rod.  Or you can always dispose of it with a Mini-14 or .223 AK.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Just shoot it, You will be fine..

I have shout thousands of rounds of the stuff out of my 8 AR-15's and have never hand anymore or any less problems than any other ammo.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Lacquered ammo will give you cancer and run off with your woman.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
The only ammo that ever gave me problems was some  British ss109 that  short stroked a 16 incher
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Lacquered ammo will destroy the ozone layer and kill kittens.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]
i left a box of it on my dresser once.  when i woke up, i was missing $23.50 out of my wallet and my daughter was knocked up.  coincidence?  i think not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#10]
That laquered ammo has made me mistakenly sell an upper I thought had ejection/extraction problems. On my other two uppers, it has caused broken extractors (2) and rounds that stick in the barrell (MANY TIMES). It is NOT urban legend. Don't shoot it in an AR unless the barrell is really well worn/oversized chamber. My barrells are both newer Oly Arms 4130s (not Junk).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#12]
+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
That laquered ammo has made me mistakenly sell an upper I thought had ejection/extraction problems. On my other two uppers, it has caused broken extractors (2) and rounds that stick in the barrell (MANY TIMES). It is NOT urban legend. Don't shoot it in an AR unless the barrell is really well worn/oversized chamber. My barrells are both newer Oly Arms 4130s (not Junk).

Opinions vary.

You sold an upper based on using ONE kind of ammo?

I'm not saying that Wolf *couldn't* have been the problem, but people are way to eager to blame something on ammmo (any ammo for that matter) without doing due diligence to determine if that was really the cause. It's sort of like saying: "Everytime I take a bath and drop the hairdryer in the water I get shocked. Therefore, taking baths must be the problem."

That is why I stopped taking baths
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
At the time I didn't know any better about the ammo. It was an old A1 upper that I bought used with the lower I wanted. I had now idea of the history of it. So I sold it as a barely functioning upper with possible problems. The guy who bought it cleaned it with a honing tool in the chamber to get rid of the laquer, and reported it shot and exctracted fine. (I sold it on  the original AR15.com, many years ago.) It was a deal for the guy I sold it to,  and I got rid of a suspect upper. I DID use brass ammo in it for function testing. The brass would stick, and I would have to slam the butt of the rifle with my fingers on the CH to loosen the spent rounds.

So yes, I was ingnant. This thread is not about how dumb i was, but about the ammo. The ammo causes enough problems that it should be used only with your full knowledge that it can get stuck in your chamber and cause brass rounds to get stuck in your chamber.

I'll take the flames if it saves someone the frustrations I have gone through!!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:46:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Oh no, the lack of the Ozone layer Kills kittens?

+1
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no, the lack of the Ozone layer Kills kittens?

+1

OSHA  &   EPA will knock on your door and inspect your ammo for smog and workplace emmissions, and cite you.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top