Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 3:27:48 PM EDT
I stopped in to the Hornady website for a quick look just now and realized that the .308 Tap loadings don't seem to have a cannelure, they are loaded with the A-max bullets correct? But I don't see any A-max bullets that they offer with cannelures. Should I be concerned with bullet setback in my AR-10? Anyone who can shed light on this situation, please feel free to do so.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT, I'm curious to know whether or not this stuff is unsafe to shoot in my AR-10, I'd just go pull a bullet myself except that i'm out of it right now and i'm don't forsee buying anymore for a while. Anyone with some .308 TAP, do me a favor and pull a bullet for me, pretty please.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:17:10 PM EDT
[#2]
The AMAX do not have a cannelure but the Barrier (InterBond bullet) does. All of the AMAX bullet are a match bullet with boat tails except for the 110 grain.

Edited to add that I use the 168 TAP in an AR-10T and the 155 in an A4 with out any issues, including set back.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, so I gather from your reply that the TAP loads don't have a cannelure, but I shouldn't be concerned with setback anyways.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump for more info. I thought they/TAP .308 155gr A-MAX had the cannelure.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 2:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bump for more info. I thought they/TAP .308 155gr A-MAX had the cannelure.

Nope, they are match bullets and none of the AMAXs have  one. I have not had any set back issues in about 1K rounds...so no I would'nt worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Do the interbond bullets exhibit the same good terminal performance as the AMAX's do?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#7]
No, they are mainly a hunting bullet but since there is no fragmentation and the bullet holds together well Hornady uses it as a glass buster. This bullet DOES have a cannelure and it holds together VERY well. I tested all of the TAP rounds in .308 through various types of glass. Long story short, the Barrier went through 3/4 thick shop glass with the "chicken" wire and the bullet struck the wire and did not change it's POI. Good stuff....
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top