Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2006 4:33:29 PM EDT
Just recently built my first AR and would like to do some hunting with it. I would appreciate some help with ammo selections for this purpose. thanks for your help in advance.

I am mainly looking at wild hogs and deer
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I've succesfully dropped white tail with Federal 60gr Vital Shok, it uses a Nosler partition projectile, another good choice is the Winchester 64gr PowerPoint. Depends on what kind of game you're talkin' about also.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:36:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot 4 deer this year 2 with my 30.06 and two with my AR. I use Winchester Super-X Ammunition

223 Remington 64 Grain Power-Point ammo for deer hunting.  hogs:

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 9:56:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw two deer dropped with the win 64 power point ammo.

One shot in the shoulder, penetrated all the way through. Good ammo.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:15:39 PM EDT
[#4]
bump
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditto on the 64 grain Winchester Powerpoint. I took a nice buck last year with the 64 gr. Winchester Powerpoint. Hit him in the neck from my tree stand. The bullet angled back and stopped just under the skin of the right shoulder. The jacket mushroomed perfectly. The lead core separated and was flattened and resting right in front of the jacket. The weight of the lead core and jacket together was 48 grains. That's 75% weight retention although it was in two pieces. The deer dropped right there and never twitched. He was chasing 3 does when I grunted and caused him to stop. The point being even when the buck was all fevered up the bullet still dropped him clean. It made a believer out of me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Here in wa we aren't allowed to use 223 for deer and we don't have hogs except on a feedlot.  Having said that, I've had good results w/308 and 30.06 using trophy bonded bearclaws and have thought Speers 55 gr tbbc in 223 should be good for deer.  I have only seen it in the reloading catalogs, not as storebought ammo.  Good luck with your search. m_s
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top