Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/13/2006 7:56:31 AM EDT
Does anyone know a good source for US milsurp M1 Carbine ammo anymore?
Who do you recommend for best prices on commercially loaded M1 Carbine ammo?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:06:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Georgia arms has very good prices on new factory reloads for 30carbine. I'd try them , i've found em to be great rounds myself in 223.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Try Cole Distributing
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't look at me.  WWB works just fine.  :)
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]
PMC supposedly sells the stuff Koreans load to GI standards but I haven't seen any available for awhile.

I bought some USA, not very good and the Wolf seems OK, but that isn't USGI issue.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Georgia arms has very good prices on new factory reloads for 30carbine. I'd try them , i've found em to be great rounds myself in 223.

I've had excellent luck with this ammo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I think US GI milsurp M1 carbine ammo has been dried up for a long time. I've heard older guys talk about it whe it was a penny a piece and available by the ton. Those were the good ol' days.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I would check out Magtech ammo.  I have shot a bunch of their 9mm.  It's cheap and good too.  Midway sells it.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I found 500 rounds on strippers in .30 cal can for $75 2 shows ago. This was LC mid 60s ammo. Was still in nice shape. Shoots well. S&B had some also right up to spec also. It was around $9 a box of 50 from AIM surplus.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:26:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice to know there are some newer options out there.  Used to be the only stuff available was the Remmington UMC stuff (dirty as hell) I gave up and started rolling my own years ago.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does anyone know a good source for US milsurp M1 Carbine ammo anymore?
Who do you recommend for best prices on commercially loaded M1 Carbine ammo?
Thanks

Jeff Bartlett at www.gibrass.com had some advertised in bandoleers / cans.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Back in the late 60s there was so much surplus 30 Carbine ammo available it was like shooting a 22 rimfire, this was good clean ammo, not some old junky stuff.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I have used about 2k worth of Wolf .30 cal in my Winchester with no issues at all.
worked better than S&B to me. and at $7.99 a box from Cheaper than Dirt it ain't that bad.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Nice to know there are some newer options out there.  Used to be the only stuff available was the Remmington UMC stuff (dirty as hell) I gave up and started rolling my own years ago.

LCs are very good M1 Carbine ammo.  It was the most widely available ammo in the Philippines.  During the '70s, ammo became scarce and M1 Carbines were sold for about $150.00 only.  M2s sold for about $250.00

Armscor (www.armscor.com.ph) now produces this ammo and M1 Carbines are getting popular once again.  What we need there, though are Carbine barrels.  A lot of the Carbines there need barrel replacements.

If you can get Poong San Korean ammo, they're good.  They have a PS stamp at the base of the shell.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I would check out Magtech ammo.  I have shot a bunch of their 9mm.  It's cheap and good too.  Midway sells it.  

I ran a box of Magtech JSPs through my Underwood M1.  It didn't seem as hot as WWB or some RA52 milsurp I have.  It gave me a couple of failures to feed.  Obviously this isn't a big sample and your gun might run fine on it.

I have run a box or two of Wolf through the gun and it worked fine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:39:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I ran a box of Magtech JSPs through my Underwood M1.  It didn't seem as hot as WWB or some RA52 milsurp I have.  It gave me a couple of failures to feed.  Obviously this isn't a big sample and your gun might run fine on it.

I have run a box or two of Wolf through the gun and it worked fine.

You're right, Dave.  Some M1 ammo are not just hot enough to cycle the bolt, hence, failure to feed.  Another factor is weak mag springs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:
 M2s sold for about $250.00

I am drooling, how cool would it be to buy M2's now for only $250!
Even the USGI normal Carbines are selling for $600. Has anyone priced a fully automatic carbine in the US lately?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
 M2s sold for about $250.00

I am drooling, how cool would it be to buy M2's now for only $250!
Even the USGI normal Carbines are selling for $600. Has anyone priced a fully automatic carbine in the US lately?

How I wished I had one, too.  A few years back in the Philippines, a friend sold me an M2 with a shortened barrel, with ten 30 round mags, five 15 round mags and 500+ rounds of ammo for an equivalent of only $150.00!  What turned me off was that the barrel was shortened, and the rear sight was repaired (it's very hard to find Carbine parts there).  If the barrel was not touched, I would have bought it the same day he offered it to me.  I was hesitant to buy it because I didn't have much experience on Carbines, and shortening the barrel might have an effect on reliability, IMHO.  My best friend whose family owns about five M2s bought it.

Tried the Carbines in an indoor range.  The muzzle blast isn't that "painful" compared to the M16's.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top