Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 8:14:45 PM EDT
I know the easy answer is just to open it.  I don't want to as it would not be sealed any more.

I know I bought it from Sportsman's guide, 3 - 4 years ago.

Had two  battle packs, so I know the Brass is soft.  Extractors would tear the cartiage.

Markings on pack are as follows:

"400 cartuchos 5'56 X 45 ( NATO  hard stamp symbol)

(large dot) Ordinario"

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#1]
not enough info but ill take a stab at it.

if its in OD green battle packs and SS109 its probably portugese. i have a bunch of portugese SS109 in battlepacks. good stuff

if its in sage green packs in flat 30rd boxes its guatamalan. EXCELLENT ammo if you were lucky enough to get some that was in sealed BPs
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:39:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Guatamalan.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought Guatemalan ammo came in 360 round battlepacks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 5:11:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like Santa Barbara to me.

T
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:07:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

T

that could be, I kinda rember it being Spanish so mayby it is Santa Barbara...

So weither it Guadamalan or Santa Barara is it crap ammo?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't know exactly what it is.
You know it's crap because of the the soft brass.
You don't want to open it "as it would not be sealed any more"
Why is it important to keep crappy ammo sealed up?

Why are you hesitant to open it up?
Surely you're not saving it for SHTF.

Just open it up and blast it off to get rid of it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

T

that could be, I kinda rember it being Spanish so mayby it is Santa Barbara...

So weither it Guadamalan or Santa Barara is it crap ammo?

I had bought some Guatemalan, came in brown or OD battlepack. Awesome ammo, I dont remember exactly what it said on the outside of the battlepacks though. This stuff shoots hot, but a little dirty, good accuracy.  If its Santa Barbara then its crap.

I say open it and see whats inside. If its Guatemalan then stick it in an ammo can and save it for a rainy day or shoot it. If its Santa Barbara shoot it or get rid of it, that stuff is crap.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like the plan is to get 500 rounds of WWB and save that and shoot the battle pack as blasting ammo.

Off to Wally world to get ammo...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#9]
If it's Guat it's hot and worth a mint to some folks.  Including me.

On the other hand, Santa Barbara....
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I thought Guatemalan ammo came in 360 round battlepacks.

Mine did. "360 Cartuchos."

I've still got a couple of unopened Guatemalan battlepacks. Good stuff. Saving it for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You don't know exactly what it is.
You know it's crap because of the the soft brass.
You don't want to open it "as it would not be sealed any more"
Why is it important to keep crappy ammo sealed up?

Why are you hesitant to open it up?
Surely you're not saving it for SHTF.

Just open it up and blast it off to get rid of it.

If it is crappy, and he wants to sell it in the EE (maybe someone else has had better luck with soft brass),  it's easier to sell a "sealed" battlepack.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:39:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Also, is Guatamala a member of NATO?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:37:39 PM EDT
[#13]
If your extrator was tearing off the rim I'm almost positive it is Santa Barbara...  I have the smae problem with it but only in one of my AR's. I have an Oly and an RRA upper with standard extractor and out of 400 rnds only had one failure using those 2 guns.  I also have a CMMG with a "D-Fender" extractor "enhancer" and it rips the rim off of about 75% of the brass.

Just curious does your rifle have the "extra power" extrator?

T
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Guatemalian reads

I.M.G.
360 CARTUCHOS
reales
CALIBRE: 5,56 mm.
LOTE: (lot number)

Comes in 12, 30rnd boxes in sealed battle pack. I just bought a sealed pack for $70.00 cash from a freind. LOTE 4
head stamp reads   I.M.G.  5.56  85

Wish I would have kept it sealed, heard on here some was packeged tarnished so I opened it to look. Mines bright and shiny.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:04:53 PM EDT
[#15]
It is Santa Barbara ammo. I have a bunch of it here and I like it. I haven't had a problem with it but others have reported rims ripping off. If I remember it is mostly people shooting it in 16" barreld rifles that have most problems, and the guys with 20" barrels don't have many problems.

The Guat ammo is good stuff too. I have a 1440 rnd. case I bought a few years ago for like $110. I wish I could find a deal like that now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If your extrator was tearing off the rim I'm almost positive it is Santa Barbara...  I have the smae problem with it but only in one of my AR's. I have an Oly and an RRA upper with standard extractor and out of 400 rnds only had one failure using those 2 guns.  I also have a CMMG with a "D-Fender" extractor "enhancer" and it rips the rim off of about 75% of the brass.

Just curious does your rifle have the "extra power" extrator?

T

I was actually shooting it out of my pre AR15 gun <sigh> Mini 14.  Have not shot it out of any AR rifle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I was actually shooting it out of my pre AR15 gun <sigh> Mini 14.  Have not shot it out of any AR rifle.

Thats funny... I actually gave a battle pack to my dad cause we ran 100rnds thru his mini with no problems while my AR choked on ever other round. He enjoyed the fact that his "cheap" mini had no problem eating ammo my AR couldn't digest :)
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I think its SB Spanish.  My experience with the ammo has been disappointing.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top