BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:31:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered 50 round boxes........I hope @ least that whats the label says or else well see in a couple..............
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just ordered 50 round boxes........I hope @ least that whats the label says or else well see in a couple..............

I thought they ran out???
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#3]
they did, I got the last four boxes..................

Its good to be the king  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#4]
When you get it, please post a review.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:06:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Waiting for the Mk.262 and the Luepy (prob.3X9 MRT) that I am in the middel of............Cant shoot effective gruops at a 100 yards with a 4 MOA red dot covering the center................will advise.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#6]
That $50.00 a box trick only works for a few boxes here and there.

When my hair was still dark I unloaded some of the then new SS 109 for a very good price (from my point of view).

Most people at the local range don't reload, and don't research the issues like members of this board.  They do like to have a few boxes of the latest super duper, whizbang ammo around in case the great "SHTF" incident occurs.

So,  always pick up an extra box or two to have handy.  Bubba will be happy, and you will have enough profit to buy a decent meal.

lawndart
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]
got mine today fifty round boxes, 2 different boxes and head stamp i box looks like above image Lake City 20033 headstamp...the other three are white boxes with Black Hills logo marked "seconds" on top of box. end of box has lable at top "new ammunition"  and says 5.56 77 grain match HP.........headstamp are LC 2004....so far I havent found a round that even has so much as a blemish on it.....will post box pics........................too follow......and soon some test results
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Got mine today also,

One box was as pictured at the start of this thread.  The rounds in there looked PERFECT.
The other two boxes were the standard "seconds" like I get from Cabelas.  Many of those rounds were dimpled, etc.

Sooooo, the one box of the real deal was cool for the novelty value, but the two boxes of seconds should have been priced at $28.00 instead of $38.00.

I think I'll stick to Cabelas and Fulton for the time being.

The real deal ones surely do look sweet.

lawndart
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
what did the boxes on less desirable rounds look like............same as mine?

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:35:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Yup,

Ammunition
    SECONDS

on the top of the box, and:

New Ammunition
      5.56MM
77 GR. MATCH HP

on the end flap.

If I have another opportunity to pick up some of the real deal stuff I will do it.
In the meantime I will crack open a bottle of TAC and stuff some 77 grainers into some reconditioned Lake City and WCC brass with some military primers.  I wonder if there is a tool to crimp the primers in their pockets that doesn't cost a fortune?  Ha, ha.

lawndart
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:42:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I received my package from Gizmo’s on Friday, but I’m still out of town and don’t know what the boxes of ammo look like.  When I do get back home I’ll post what the packaging looks like and the condition of the ammo.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yup,

Ammunition
    SECONDS

on the top of the box, and:

New Ammunition
      5.56MM
77 GR. MATCH HP

on the end flap.

If I have another opportunity to pick up some of the real deal stuff I will do it.
In the meantime I will crack open a bottle of TAC and stuff some 77 grainers into some reconditioned Lake City and WCC brass with some military primers.  I wonder if there is a tool to crimp the primers in their pockets that doesn't cost a fortune?  Ha, ha.

lawndart

so the one box that is marked as the pictures at the beggining of the thread, am I am to assume that thats also seconds and is just in older packaging or is that new stuff (non seconds) what is the stuff from Fulton Armory and Cabelas looking like?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#13]
here are the pics the first one I got one box of out of four........headstamp LC03......the real thing I dont know......seconds...I dont know?

The next two are the side and top shots of the other three boxes...........MK262 seconds........they look good so far (havent looked at all the rounds yet) headstamp is LC04...........comments or thoughts anyone.........

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Somebody ship 25,000 rounds of the stuff to 2nd BCT, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) for me? I carried M855 last time, but why not upgrade?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Hello,

I've seen a few of the 50 rnd white boxes marked as Black Hills MK262 Mod 0 over here but the stuff we're finding now is  marked MOD 1 and is coming in regular 20 rnd brown boxes. I have two ammo cans full of it under my bed but no way to get it home! Doesn't say "Black Hills" on it but the serial number starts off BLH. We heard rumors someone else was starting to make that load. Casings are marked WCC03.

Shoots great and seems to do the job.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:14:56 AM EDT
[#16]
All the stuff Gizmos is sellingis seconds. According to Jeff they bought a small run of it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]
The headstamps on mine say WCC 03 or 04, boxes are the same.  Got mine from Cabelas.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The headstamps on mine say WCC 03 or 04, boxes are the same.  Got mine from Cabelas.

The 9 boxes I got from Cabela's are WCC 04 as well.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:49:31 AM EDT
[#19]
The ammo we are issued for the USMC M4s is:

50rnd  WHITE BOX.

On the top of the label it says:

50 CARTRIDGES
CAL 5.56MM
77 GR. SIERRA MATCHKING-MOLY COATED
AA67
LOT # BLHXXXXXXX-XXX
CONTRACT# NXXXXX-XX-XXX
MANUFACTURED BY BLACK HILLS AMMUNITION

Its says nothing about "MOD" on it.

ARCAPTN

*edited to add that the headstamp says, "BHA 223 MATCH"
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:30:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The ammo we are issued for the USMC M4s is:

50rnd  WHITE BOX.

On the top of the label it says:

50 CARTRIDGES
CAL 5.56
77 GR. SIERRA MATCHKING-MOLY COATED
AA67
LOT # BLHXXXXXXX-XXX
CONTRACT# NXXXXX-XX-XXX
MANUFACTURED BY BLACK HILLS AMMUNITION

Its says nothing about "MOD" on it.

ARCAPTN

Mk262 is none moly ammo  that is probably why it doesn't say mod anything on it. If you talk to Sierraeight he can tell you more about that round, seeing as Black Hills is his company and all
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Yo!  SierraEight, where you at?  Need info on my earlier post.  Is this older BH ammo or can you give any details on it?

Thanks,
ARCAPTN
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Yo!  SierraEight, where you at?  Need info on my earlier post.  Is this older BH ammo or can you give any details on it?

Thanks,
ARCAPTN

I wouldn't worry to much about it. The commercial 77gr SMK load may be a little slower velocity wise, but it will still put a hurting on somone as it uses the same cannalured 77gr SMK as the Mk262 ammo. Shoot him an IM or email he's pretty quick to get back to you on email at least thats my experiance.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:18:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah..I'm not too worried about it, but I know it's not commerial.  It's got a DODIC of AA67 on it, so it's in our ammo system.  In addition the LOT and CONTRACT #s is clearly visible which may not be significant I guess.  

I know our ammo techs wouldn't issue us commerical stuff as well.  That's a no no.  Yes, the bullet itself is clearly moly-coated as it's dark in color and "looks" like a hollow point, with no visible dents or "factory seconds" marks.

Interesting......head stamp of "BHA 223 Match"
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Moly coating????  Have never seen any Mk 262 Mod 0 or 1 with that coating.  All issued Mk 262 (some 75,000) that I saw at AMU didn't have it.  The several thousand here in the sandbox and in my mags right now don't either.  Been issued in both white 50 rd boxes (from AMU) and 20 rd brown boxes (same as tracers) here in the combat zone.

CD

edited to add that the Mod 0 was without a cannulare and the Mod 1 cartridge has the cannulare on the bullet.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Yeah..I'm not too worried about it, but I know it's not commerial.  It's got a DODIC of AA67 on it, so it's in our ammo system.  In addition the LOT and CONTRACT #s is clearly visible which may not be significant I guess.  

I know our ammo techs wouldn't issue us commerical stuff as well.  That's a no no.  Yes, the bullet itself is clearly moly-coated as it's dark in color and "looks" like a hollow point, with no visible dents or "factory seconds" marks.

Interesting......head stamp of "BHA 223 Match"

If the head stamp is BHA 223 match it's commercial load ammo. Thats how they mark the red box .223. The thing is that with the exception of velocity and I think crimped/sealed necks and sealed primers there really isn't a whole heck of a lot of differance between the MK262Mod1 and the Red Box 77gr SMK commercial load. I could be wrong o course, but thats what I got out of all the stuff Sierraeight has posted about the stuff. I really wish he'd pop in here I'd like to know as well now whats up with the ammo you got.

Now the other interesting thing is It could be some old marksmenship unit ammo and thats why it's in the system.....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Photoman.....I think you hit the nail on the head.  I just heard 3rd person and through the chain of command that IT IS old marksmanship ammo sent to us to be used up.

Obviously you Gents are the duty experts. I submit this to you....can I use the stuff to BZO an M4 with a TA31F ACOG?  Or should I be using our M855 that is also around?

Thanks fellas...

ARCAPTN
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:00:39 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Photoman.....I think you hit the nail on the head.  I just heard 3rd person and through the chain of command that IT IS old marksmanship ammo sent to us to be used up.

Obviously you Gents are the duty experts. I submit this to you....can I use the stuff to BZO an M4 with a TA31F ACOG?  Or should I be using our M855 that is also around?

Thanks fellas...

ARCAPTN

I'm not sure, I don't shoot the 77gr ammo because I only have 1/9 twist barrels. And I don't use an ACOG.  If anything I would think that it should track close to the M855, but I could be wrong. Somone else who has experiance running that set up/ammo combination would have to answer that for you.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#28]
so is the white box stuff AMU stuff, seconds, etc...and what about the two different box styles is there any difference here...................

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:12:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
so is the white box stuff AMU stuff, seconds, etc...and what about the two different box styles is there any difference here...................

If it's seconds the box will state it, or actually should state it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
here are the pics the first one I got one box of out of four........headstamp LC03......the real thing I dont know......seconds...I dont know?

i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/beware1gun/DSC00589.jpg

The next two are the side and top shots of the other three boxes...........MK262 seconds........they look good so far (havent looked at all the rounds yet) headstamp is LC04...........comments or thoughts anyone.........

i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/beware1gun/DSC00588.jpg

i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/beware1gun/DSC00587.jpg

the boxes that are marked black hills say there seconds...the box that has the label MK262 specs doesnt say it it says Mk262 mod. 1 spec. 77 grain sierra matchking A378 I incorrectly stated above that the headstamps where LC. when in fact they are WCC03 on the Mk 262 marked box and the other three (marked seconds by BH) are WCC04..............they where sold as being the same are they?.....anybody want to take a guess or can we get our blackhills guy to give us a hand..........?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/beware1gun/DSC00588.jpg

i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/beware1gun/DSC00587.jpg

the boxes that are marked black hills say there seconds...the box that has the label MK262 specs doesnt say it it says Mk262 mod. 1 spec. 77 grain sierra matchking A378 I incorrectly stated above that the headstamps where LC. when in fact they are WCC03 on the Mk 262 marked box and the other three (marked seconds by BH) are WCC04..............they where sold as being the same are they?.....anybody want to take a guess or can we get our blackhills guy to give us a hand..........?

Can't say, you'd have to ask Jeff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:26:13 PM EDT
[#32]
I spoke to the owner at Gizmo’s Gun to find out about the difference between the two different boxes and he said that the ones labeled Mk262 Mod1 are the real deal and that the others are the same thing Cabela’s sales.  He said that he ran out of the real deal and started to ship the other stuff because Black Hills told him that it was the same stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I dont quite know if its B.S. at all. I have a few boxes of the "real deal" and boxes of the cabelas offering and side by side they are very much the same thing. I have measured them for bullet set back and they are all the same and very good at that. To date I have probably purchased about 800 rounds of the "seconds" stuff and may have had a grand total of 4 that were a little iffy on whether to feed them or not due to dented cases. They seem to be the same ballistics between the two also. I can very rarely get the "real deal" so the cabelas stuff is IMHO just as good and definately is making up a big part of my SHTF stash.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#34]
I know that the rounds are the same, just minor cosmetic differences, but I was referring to the business ethics that took place with the deal.  If I order four boxes of ammo “A” and the vendor does not have all four boxes he should let me know not send me something similar IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:26:07 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I spoke to the owner at Gizmo’s Gun to find out about the difference between the two different boxes and he said that the ones labeled Mk262 Mod1 are the real deal and that the others are the same thing Cabela’s sales.  He said that he ran out of the real deal and started to ship the other stuff because Black Hills told him that it was the same stuff.

If you ask me this all smells like…

so the "real deal" stuff (below) is current issue.....not seconds?

the other stuff I take it is MK262 "seconds"

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:55:44 AM EDT
[#36]
To further muddy the waters, I just got a can of this stuff today:

20 CARTRIDGES
5.56 X 45 MM
MK 262 MOD 0 77 GR.
LOT FC 03F002-002

They are stamped LC 03

Federal trying to horn in on Black Hills market? I think this might be the "Other Manufacturer" we were hearing rumors about.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#37]
I have inspected all  of the rounds and  fired almost all of the  200 rounds  that  I bought.  Out of the 150 rounds that came in the boxes labeled “seconds” only  one had a neck pimple.  All of the rounds shot great, this the best ammo I’ve ever shot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 7:58:02 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so the "real deal" stuff (below) is current issue.....not seconds?

the other stuff I take it is MK262 "seconds"

They both are the real deal, supposedly the ammo that comes in the boxes labeled Mk 262  Mod 1 passed Q&A and could be issued to the troops.  The ammo that comes in boxes labeled “seconds” didn’t pass Q&A , because of  minor cosmetic differences.  Due to current  laws you can’t sell surplus ammo to civilians.  So they change the name or call it something else, i.e. XM855 and XM193.  If I’m wrong, someone please correct me.

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:39:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Let me see if I can help clear some of this up. SIERRAEIGHT has been out of the office for awhile on vacation and since his return has been extremely busy.

MK262 MOD 1 ammunition is manufactured using mil-spec brass with WCC headstamps, crimped and sealed primers with a 77GR cannelured Sierra bullet.

MK262 MOD 1 ammo as shipped to the military is packaged in 20 round, brown cardboard boxes, in ammo cans, in a wire-bound wooden box.

"Factory Seconds", "Blems" are packaged in 50 round, plain white cardboard boxes. Markings on these boxes are:

Top: Has our name, twist rate information and the "Seconds" markings.

End flap:       New Ammunition
                             5.56MM
                      77GR match HP

The ammo that ARCAPTN has was made under contract with the end user being the USMC Shooting Team. It was made using commercial brass with a BHA headstamp, sealed primer and a moly coated Sierra bullet.

The ammo that Gizmo's Guns had was overruns from an order for a government agency. It was shipped to Gizmo's for an LE demo that he urgently needed ammo for. Had there been seconds available we would have sent them instead. This was a one time-good deal sort of thing not to be repeated. There is no more of that ammo remaining.

Hope this helps clear the waters.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#40]
okay out of four boxes I orderd from them I have on box of 1st rate stuff and three of "blems" hmm....they where advert. as one and the same.........make you say hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Let me see if I can help clear some of this up. SIERRAEIGHT has been out of the office for awhile on vacation and since his return has been extremely busy.

MK262 MOD 1 ammunition is manufactured using mil-spec brass with WCC headstamps, crimped and sealed primers with a 77GR cannelured Sierra bullet.

MK262 MOD 1 ammo as shipped to the military is packaged in 20 round, brown cardboard boxes, in ammo cans, in a wire-bound wooden box.

"Factory Seconds", "Blems" are packaged in 50 round, plain white cardboard boxes. Markings on these boxes are:

5.56MM
                      77GR match HP

The ammo that ARCAPTN has was made under contract with the end user being the USMC Shooting Team. It was made using commercial brass with a BHA headstamp, sealed primer and a moly coated Sierra bullet.

The ammo that Gizmo's Guns had was overruns from an order for a government agency. It was shipped to Gizmo's for an LE demo that he urgently needed ammo for. Had there been seconds available we would have sent them instead. This was a one time-good deal sort of thing not to be repeated. There is no more of that ammo remaining.

seth1849,
Thanks for taking the time to answer questions. I hope BH keeps such high standards and sending only the best to our troops....and you  keep sending these 'lousy' seconds to retailers... I will keep buying as much as I can afford...

Dave
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

5.56MM
                      77GR match HP

yeah SIERRAEIGHT IM'ed in response to a request for his attention to this question. He said the same that he was out of town and such and you guys would look into it..........thanks for the realy promt answers to our questions and paying attention the little guy. Why I will always preffer BH.....

Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:16:50 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I knew somone else from BH had to be around here sometime soon. never fails. thanks for all the info.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:20:17 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
okay out of four boxes I orderd from them I have on box of 1st rate stuff and three of "blems" hmm....they where advert. as one and the same.........make you say hmmmmmmmmmmmm

They are one in the same, the only differance is seconds may have a powder dimple in the neck, or a blemish on the case. hell some of the stuff I think they are crazy for calling seconds in the first place. But then again that says something about the quality they expect out of it. So minus a few comsmetic problems or a lil' extra sealer, they are exactly the same thing(just not as pretty.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:06:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Take home message:

Black Hills Ammunition Rocks!!

I am having a new .308 bolt action rifle built.  My gunsmith asked me how I wanted it chambered and throated.  I just reached into my pocket and handed him a Black Hills .308 Match round with a 175 grain Sierra HPBT.  He squinted at it, smiled and said that I had at least learned one thing over the years.

lawndart

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:53:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Boswalt,
I would be interested in getting some of the federal "MK262 MOD 0" ammo. Can we work a swap? Where did you get some? Thanks, Jeff
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:06:52 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Boswalt,
I would be interested in getting some of the federal "MK262 MOD 0" ammo. Can we work a swap? Where did you get some? Thanks, Jeff

So that stuff really is loaded by federal??

Wonder whats up with that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:02:11 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Sierreeight, another question (though it may be an internal Cabela's thing):  Ive ordered 10 boxes of the Cabela's MKCL, and was wondering, what the hell does MKCL mean?  I assume MK=Match King, but anyone got a clue on the "CL" ?  Ive asked the lady when ordering and she doesnt know either.  Was just wondering, as the rounds look and shoot great and will be buying more.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:53:02 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Boswalt,

+1  I'd be interested as well.

Thanks for chiming in SierraEight.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top