Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 10:13:19 PM EDT
Now that I have my fill, I figured I'd let you guys know...
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I have my 800 rounds of it.  Havent had a chance to shoot it yet tho.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#2]
There is a big thread about this ammo and it failing to extract. I ordered 1200 rounds and sent 800 back. On the rounds i fired the rim was tearing off almost every single case causing the shell to become stuck in the chamber. The rounds that did extract had very large tears in the rim where the extractor grabbed it. Some people say it works fine in 20" guns but i want something that is going to work in all my ar's.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:21:33 AM EDT
[#3]
What rifle you getting rim shears on?  Milspec chromelined Bushmaster or Colt's?

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/10/2003 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems to work fine in my 16" CAR and my 20" HBAR and A2 profile bushy rifles.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What rifle you getting rim shears on?  Milspec chromelined Bushmaster or Colt's?

-- Chuck
View Quote

It was in a bushmaster m4. I never did try shooting any out of my 20". The lot # Sportsmansguide was selling is 02-sb-93 i guess this is a bad lot or something. They may have sold out of it and be on another batch i dont know.
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#6]

i had the very same problem with this ammo, i.e. rims tearing off and the casing was then stuck in the chamber.  do a search a month or so back, there were quite a few folks with the same issue.  even a few pictures too.

btw, these problems were with a brand-new-in-April-2003 Bushmaster M4A3 with a full 16" blunt end chrome lined (aka "Patrolman's Carbine") barrel.  i have a few thousand Win Q3131A, Federal LC, and Win 223 "white box" through it, and never had a problem until the spanish ss109 showed up.  about 1 out of every 200 (or so) of the spanish ammo had the rim torn off -- and unjamming required pushing a rod down the barrel to get the spent casing out.

summary:
DO NOT USE THIS SURPLUS SPANISH SS109 AMMO FOR ANY "TACTICAL" OR "SELF DEFENSE" PURPOSES. (unless of course you really like unjamming your rifle while under duress).  THIS IS PLINKING AMMO ONLY.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/11/2003 9:22:19 PM EDT
[#7]
What sucks is this seemed to be some pretty good ammo minus the crappy brass. The first 30 rounds i shot went through fine then first round out of the second mag fte'd. It was pretty much 1 shot ram cleaning rod repeat from there on out for about 300 more rounds.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I've shot about 100rds thru the Oly PCR-4 20", and I must say I have been impressed so far.
Accuracy is equal to/better than LC but not as good as Q3131A.
No FTE's or FTF's , only anomaly was the green primer sealant kind of splatters on the spent case bottoms and the bolt face.

If I have any problems with the other 400, I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 12/12/2003 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah the only problem I have had with the ammo so far in the 200 rnds I have fired off, is the mess the primer sealant makes in the upper receiver.  Had the inside of the upper pretty heavily lubed, and it just made matters worse.
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Must be your barrels if you have extraction problems.  I put about 1200rds thru a 11.5" Colt Commando and a 16" Colt heavy barrel without any problems.  This Spanish stuff is NATO spec so will cause problems in .223 chambers.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with a rifle or carbine that wouldn't cycle this round.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with a rifle or carbine that wouldn't cycle this round.
View Quote

I feel comfortable with my bushmasters. I have fired going on 8k rounds of xm193, q3131a, IMI xm193, igman ss109, wolf 55 grain, wolf 62 grain, winchester values packs, winchester varmit loads, south african old battle packs, pmp. You name it odds are if it is for sale at a good price my guns have shot it. I have never had a single problem with any other ammo.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top