Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/19/2003 12:03:11 PM EDT
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but can anyone tell me of a good online shop where I can purchase ammunition boxes to store my loose AR ammo/magazines?  Thanks in advance!

Spitfire
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure Cheaper Than Dirt has them, there are probably others also.

[url]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/default.asp[/url]

They are listed under "Military Surplus".

[url]http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=1601&category=Military+Surplus&dept%5Fname=Ammo+Cans+%26+Field+Boxes&mscssid=572620GP4K8X9KDX668LP4XWU2383VT5[/url]

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a lot!  That's actually the site I was trying to find because I had seen them there for really cheap.  Much appreciated.

Spitfire
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Spit-

You might want to check out a gun show or two.  I regularly find 50 cal cans @ 3-5.00 at the shows.  Shipping is the killer on these things.

MM
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought 3 cans from CTD.  None were in good condition, and one was completely rusted out and was full of salt water from god knows where in the world.  The other two I refinished but it's still not as good as the military's HARD coat.  They sent me 1 free replacement but it was full of sand and rather rusted on the outside.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
wyv3rn,

That is...disconcerting.  I will check some gun shows, as soon as one comes around.  I live in southern Kalifornia and I'm not sure when the next one rolls around.  But thanks for the feedback.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:20:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Not sure on your gun laws, but Cabellas has a deal where you can order 500 rnds to 1000 rnds of 5.56 or 7.62 and they will ship 2-4 cans with your order for no extra charge (actually the price is built in about $5 per can) but its pretty easy to do since you can order online and not wait for a gunshow.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 8:28:03 AM EDT
[#7]
It's one of the downsides of ordering online, you don't really know what condition they will be in, so a gun show might be the better idea, at least you can check out what you are buying in advance.

Link Posted: 11/21/2003 4:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Check out a Mil-Surp store (if you've got one close). Usually a little more expensive than gun shows, but you get to pick and choose. I personally love those 5.56 tracer cans (bigger than a standard 50). I pay about 8 bucks a can, but they're mint.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Spit - where are you located.  If you're in NorCal, I know a few surplus spots where you can get these ammo cases.

Most surplus stores around here have the 50-cals for about $8/ea but they're quite nice and still have good seals.  The 30-cal ones are a bit less, usually around $5-$6 in similar condition as the 50-cal.

If you're going to just get one or two, it's probably going to be a wash since it costs $8 to get into a show, and sometimes just as much for parking.

slipjoint
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I live down in southern California.  There are a few surplus places around here so I can check them out.  $8 per can doesn't bother me...I thought they would cost a little more than that anyway.  My main problem is that I am extremely lazy and I don't always get off my ass to drive someplace to buy 1 or 2 items.  God bless E-Commerce!

Thanks for all the feedback and info guys.
Link Posted: 11/21/2003 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I'm definitely going to check out the next show, whenever it may be.  I am slowly getting sucked into the Black Rifle addiction...
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 12:09:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I usually pick up ammo cans at the gun show, but for awhile there, there were none to be had.  I ordered 6 cans ( 3 50 cal and 3 30 cal)from CTD last year and all 6 were in very good shape.  They were a little dusty, but the dust easily wiped off.  I was very happy with what I got.  I guess it's the luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 2:03:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, it's risky to buy used equipment sight-unseen.  I don't care about dirt or scratches or anything like that...I mean, it's an ammo can.  It's gonna probably take some abuse here and there.  But I would like to have good seals and no rust.  And I don't think I'd like to receive a can that has a bunch of sand or saltwater in it either.  I'm in no rush yet because I haven't started buying bulk ammo.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for a local gun show.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know what exactly you are looking for, if it is Military Ammo cans, you probably want to buy where you can look at it, if not, I bought two 30 cal. cans (.223) from Sportsman's guide that were pretty nice.  And second you might want to check around locally.  Shipping on those things suck, but the deal of the day for me was when I walked into our local ACE harware and here they were selling surplus .50 Extra Tall ammo cans for like 6.99, the exact same ones they have in Cheaper Than Dirt for 6.97 not including shipping!!  So shop around, I would have never guessed they would be at ACE.

Lastly, I know this probably isn't a real popular choice given the great price of ammo cans, but MTM makes cases just plain sealed boxes, basically a plastic ammo can.  Don't know about the durability, but it could be good. Also, if you wanted your ammo separated of course they make boxes just for .223 ect.  Just a suggestion in case you had not looked into them.  I use these kind of cases for reloading.  My basic .223 range rounds I keep in .30 cal ammo cans, you can fit a bit over a case in each if I remember right.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:31:33 AM EDT
[#15]
The problem with platic ammo cans is the hinges bending...
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top